User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Is there also a psychological aspect that is associated with breakfast? I know that it's said to make you more mentally alert, but does breakfast help relieve depression and the like?

And why are breakfast foods breakfast foods? I mean, why have cereal when you can have a cheeseburger for breakfast? Is this a cultural thing or not? Because my instinct tells me that there is something universal about breakfast foods...
    Actually at least two cultures are known for eating vegetables at the morning meal - Israelis and the Japanese.

Slowly digested foods like protein (eggs) and complex carbs (whole wheat toast) are traditional breakfast foods, but some people - like my daughter - can't handle protein in the morning. I figure fruit is better than nothing.

Jae Rae

MBTI
    GONE

I was reading an article about obesity, and it stated that not eating breakfast has been linked to an increase in obesity.

Can someone explain this to me?
    I think it has to do with bad habits in general.

Skipping breakfast does do a number on the metabolism and blood sugar levels? And causes you to eat more later in the day including late at night (really bad for you i.e. weight gain).

But, I would bet that the obese people included in that survey who never at breakast woke up too late in the morning to eat it? Or were so ill-planned in their meals they just ate whatever and whenever they could, so lots of greasy fast food and sodium/fat packed microwave and instant meals?

MBTI
    GONE

Is there also a psychological aspect that is associated with breakfast? I know that it's said to make you more mentally alert, but does breakfast help relieve depression and the like?

And why are breakfast foods breakfast foods? I mean, why have cereal when you can have a cheeseburger for breakfast? Is this a cultural thing or not? Because my instinct tells me that there is something universal about breakfast foods...
    Not sure about the depression but that wouldn't be outrageous, and again I think researchers may be correlating something (if they're even doing that) that just another side-effect of another cause. I'm trying to say again, that people with bad habits and bad eating habits will skip breakfast merely as part of an unbalanced, non-nutritious way of life that leads to obesity. Not that skipping breakfast itself can lead to obesity.

Also the breakfast foods thing -- it is cultural. There's a reason why the traditional light breakfast of a muffin and juice or cereal and milk is called 'continental breakfast'. It's a very modern (western) European thing that carried over to the 'new colonies' (meaning US/Canada/Australia, etc.)

Other cultures traditionally eat much heavier foods for breakfast. In fact, the foods you eat for breakfast are not that different from lunch or dinner, but this is also informed by/limited by what has historically been available.

Sugar not to mention wheat not to mention baking is NOt a big part of the diet in a lot of cultures, so the whole pastries thing in the morning is a pretty cosmopolitan/western thing.

But yes, in the morning a lot of people (at least in the states) will say they cannot stomach more than a little bread and water. In my teens, the thought of breakfast made me nauseous. Especially when we had to wake up at 5:00am to catch the g'damn school bus.

Nowadays, if I am hungry in the morning, I'm just as likely to crave a hearty meal like burritos or sushi at 10am and not breakfast food or am completely not hungry and force myself to drink Instant Breakfast and a cracker. I love breakfast food. But usually only after a night out after 2am. Or else at 3 in the afternoon.

MBTI
    INTP

I was reading an article about obesity, and it stated that not eating breakfast has been linked to an increase in obesity.

Car.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Car.
    I don't drive one of those, actually.

It's funny, because I'm American, too.

I guess I'm not your typical American...*anticipates a smart-ass remark*

MBTI
    INTJ

It's called a epidemiological study and it's worth less than the paper it's printed on.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't drive one of those, actually.

It's funny, because I'm American, too.

I guess I'm not your typical American...*anticipates a smart-ass remark*
    I do not drive a car either. These peasants have all cars. They are cheap and pollute a lot. Peasants never walk. Not an inch. Well, some of them do, but not without sticks. They do not know what walking is. They "perform" a sport.

So you are American, but not a peasant. You are urban. Are there other urban Americans aside from you? Maybe not.
    How did you become urban? It has to be in the genes. Maybe you are a mutation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I do not drive a car either. These peasants have all cars. They are cheap and pollute a lot. Peasants never walk. Not an inch. Well, some of them do, but not without sticks. They do not know what walking is. They "perform" a sport.

So you are American, but not a peasant. You are urban. Are there other urban Americans aside from you? Maybe not.
    How did you become urban? It has to be in the genes. Maybe you are a mutation.
    I am more or less suburban. (Or I'm not sure what you mean by urban.)