• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christmas cookies

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most people are happy about the rampant food sharing at this time of year, neighbors dropping by with a plate of cookies, workplace holiday parties and big family dinners and such. I'm not. "why would anyone dread the holidays?" you may ask- because I can't eat a damned thing :(

within the past year, after months of tests and misery, I was diagnosed with celiac disease- which along with making me curse my Irish ancestry has restricted what I can eat severely. I can eat nothing containing gluten, which makes eating out and visiting friends hell- I'm now convinced that almost EVERYTHING includes gluten! :D

I'd love to be polite and eat what is offered to me, but it's really a bad idea, and when I say politely that I'm sorry, I can't eat that food people start to ask questions. Now I'd rather not describe what happens if I eat gluten to people- after all, it's kind of gross- and I was wondering if there's a polite way to tell people to bugger off!?

Can anyone please explain to me how to politely get out of eating food that can destroy my health without having to deal with embarassing questions? :blush: I don't want to be rude, but some people are too damned curious!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anything involving Christmas is destined to be unhealthy.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Most people are happy about the rampant food sharing at this time of year, neighbors dropping by with a plate of cookies, workplace holiday parties and big family dinners and such. I'm not. "why would anyone dread the holidays?" you may ask- because I can't eat a damned thing :(

within the past year, after months of tests and misery, I was diagnosed with celiac disease- which along with making me curse my Irish ancestry has restricted what I can eat severely. I can eat nothing containing gluten, which makes eating out and visiting friends hell- I'm now convinced that almost EVERYTHING includes gluten! :D

I'd love to be polite and eat what is offered to me, but it's really a bad idea, and when I say politely that I'm sorry, I can't eat that food people start to ask questions. Now I'd rather not describe what happens if I eat gluten to people- after all, it's kind of gross- and I was wondering if there's a polite way to tell people to bugger off!?

Can anyone please explain to me how to politely get out of eating food that can destroy my health without having to deal with embarassing questions? :blush: I don't want to be rude, but some people are too damned curious!
Can you just tell them it's a very serious food allergy?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
;) that works on some people!

some others are WAY too curious though :rolli:

"It's a bunch of complicated medical jargon which I can't stand to hear one more time, so I'm trying to spare myself." :coffee:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

Being polite doesn't always work with those kinds of people. You aren't obligated to indulge them. Health information is private.

• You could tell them it's very unpleasant and you don't feel comfortable discussing it (acting a little traumatized).
  • You could make up some weird, horrible symptoms to tell them for your own entertainment.
  • You could tell them the name of the disease and that there is info available online for their edification if it interests them.

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
When I was sick, my doctor and I thought I had Celiac for a while. (I ate the diet for 8 months and it helped my symptoms tremendously, but I actually got the endoscopy after going back on normal food and I don't have it. It was probably just that the foods were much easier to digest with my sick intestines.)

I used to highlight my pain and hair falling out as symptoms. (They were both true.)

If I had to explain, I said "Celiac Disease. It basically means I'm banned from eating good foods for the rest of my life!" And when they asked what happens, I just went on tangents of the disease. ("Did you know 1 in 121(? i can't remember anymore) people have this? It's tremendously common.")

When people offered me stuff, I just said I wasn't hungry, or I was content with my fruit or whatever it was I was eating.

And for the way too curious people, just tell them that it causes your body to destroy itself! That's pretty cool and graphic enough that they'll catch on. I said to a few people "if I eat that, my insides will eat itself b/c of the autoimmune disorder". That worked every time!

Point out that it's the only autoimmune disorder that has some sort of "cure". (That being, don't eat gluten!!)

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ

I have a major food allergy - whey protein. Most of my friends and family know about it (and joke with me about it - the word "whey" can be used in so many contexts, haha), so I don't have too much of a problem at home.

Man, whey is in EVERYTHING though. The best thing I've learned to do is cook. Now I know how certain things are made and the likelyhood of it containing whey when I am eating it outside of my home. Have you read up on how foods are prepared and how to make most things yourself? It's been a lifelong task for me, but I've found I can surprisingly eat some foods I never thought I could (I can actually eat certain types of cheeses with a minimal reaction!) and I cannot eat some things that I thought would be okay.

Christmas season's always tough because I can't eat any pastries, nor can I have most kinds of chocolate. I'm not sure there's a polite way to announce an allergy. I usually just try to politely decline & say I'm not hungry. Normally that works, but if you get someone who's pushing it on you, then I usually just say I'm allergic to dairy. I hate to have to explain it afterwards, but what else can I do? haha. If anyone can think of a better way, then by all means let me know!

Another trick I have is that often there's one random dessert that doesn't contain whey and nine times out of ten, I probably don't care for it. I'll usually take a piece of it anyway and nibble on it a bit just to shut people up. I'd also sometimes hang onto something from dinner to nibble on so I don't get the dessert pressure.

I find the worst scenario for me is eating out. I always feel like one of those super picky eaters when I have to ask the server about the sauce they use or whatever. I try to just order things that I KNOW I can eat, but with limited menus, it's really hard. I find simply apologizing in advance to the server & briefly explaining that I have a weird food allergy makes the experience a little better for everyone. It's also such a task for me to go to the grocery store that I just go alone and never make anyone go with me.

If you have any weird food allergy questions, feel free to ask me. If anything, I feel your pain! :(

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ

Think of it this way:

These people are acting rude by prying into your personal business. I wouldn't feel rude at all declining their food.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Blasphemer.

I still love Jameson and the Pogues :wubbie: (and potatoes!)

Think of it this way:

These people are acting rude by prying into your personal business. I wouldn't feel rude at all declining their food.

yeah- the problem with the rural midwest is that it's horribly impolite not to eat what's offered to you!

I should feel less rude if they're being so nosy though! :D

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had two acquaintances who are gluten-intolerant or whichever. They just say "I'm allergic to gluten" and that's the end of it. I've never seen anyone bothering them about it... although I feel bad for them trying to find edible food at restaurants.

Are people really so nosy as to press matters once you say you have an allergy? That's so rude...

MBTI Type
INTJ

If a brief and polite explanation that you have medical diet restrictions does not deter people, then you have no obligation to satisfy them any further. After that, if they are hurt or offended, it is their fault.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'd ask because I'm curious. I do understand being sick and tired of telling people, I'd be sastified with a name that I can look up later on google. I looked up celiacs disease and that sucks. I'm sorry. And yes everything just about is made from gluten it seems. Times like these I'm thankful for the ability to be able to eat whatever I want. Not to rub it in your face. I had a room mate last year that was deathly allergic to most meat, wheat, dairy, peanuts and a plethora of other things she had to take her own food to resteraunts because she was so allergic to most food. Though she had been unable to eat most anything since she was a baby so she doesn't know what she's missing. I guess when you find out that you can't have something years after having the thing then never being able to have it.

I'm a curious person and I get yelled at for staring at the legless person. I don't think "What a freak!" I think "I wonder what happened, and would I offend/be rude if I asked"

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Yeah, I'd suggest just telling them you're gluten intolerant.

The only questions they can ask after that is 'what's gluten?', or something equally inane. ;)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

My old roommate has SEVERAL extreme food allergies. She also cannot eat gluten. Or anything red or orange or acidic. Or milk products. Or (fill in the blank) It's very hard for her to eat out so she cooks a lot. Luckily (?), there are more people than ever diagnosed with celiac disease and such and such intolerances, so in addition to a magazine just for this condition, there are specialized restaurants and menus popping up (perhaps not in your neck of the woods though) and more magazines and newsletters and websites.

I don't think the nosy people should make you feel bad or judged -- it's a very recent disorder and food allergies in general are on the rise and likewise misunderstand. Always a recipe for misunderstanding.

If you look at these nosy episodes as opportunities to enlighten people, you'll feel better. Curiousity, even kidna rude curiousity is really inevitable when you hit people with something they are unfamiliar with or otherwise very unique. Isn't it nice they want to know though? You can be a one woman educational resource. Or you can just politely end it with, "Food allergies are very common, mine is more extreme -- I can't eat gluten. OR I'LL DIIIIEEEE' Be really dramatic, it might make people so uncomfortable they'll stop talking to you.

This reminds me of the other night when I was at the check-out line. The cashier was very friendly but only as I was getting change from him did I realize his entire right eye was BUSTED UP. Someone knocked the shit out of his eye, it was completely bloodshot and then some, like somehow his pupil ruptured. It was really hard not to stare. I wondered though if he would prefer me to ask him about it and clear the air then try hard to pretend I don't notice.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Just tell them that you are a zombie, and if they ask again your going to eat their brains.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
yeah- the problem with the rural midwest is that it's horribly impolite not to eat what's offered to you!

How 'bout bringing a dish with you that you know you can eat? That was you don't appear to be a freak and you know you're not going to get sick.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:D thank you! I always do bring some delightful and edible dish with me! (and then fend other people off from eating it as well)

I just wish that people wouldn't take it as a serious afront when I won't eat what they made :(