User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Blasphemer.
    I still love Jameson and the Pogues (and potatoes!)

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    Think of it this way:

These people are acting rude by prying into your personal business. I wouldn't feel rude at all declining their food.
    yeah- the problem with the rural midwest is that it's horribly impolite not to eat what's offered to you!

I should feel less rude if they're being so nosy though!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've had two acquaintances who are gluten-intolerant or whichever. They just say "I'm allergic to gluten" and that's the end of it. I've never seen anyone bothering them about it... although I feel bad for them trying to find edible food at restaurants.

Are people really so nosy as to press matters once you say you have an allergy? That's so rude...

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Most people are happy about the rampant food sharing at this time of year, neighbors dropping by with a plate of cookies, workplace holiday parties and big family dinners and such. I'm not. "why would anyone dread the holidays?" you may ask- because I can't eat a damned thing

within the past year, after months of tests and misery, I was diagnosed with celiac disease- which along with making me curse my Irish ancestry has restricted what I can eat severely. I can eat nothing containing gluten, which makes eating out and visiting friends hell- I'm now convinced that almost EVERYTHING includes gluten!

I'd love to be polite and eat what is offered to me, but it's really a bad idea, and when I say politely that I'm sorry, I can't eat that food people start to ask questions. Now I'd rather not describe what happens if I eat gluten to people- after all, it's kind of gross- and I was wondering if there's a polite way to tell people to bugger off!?

Can anyone please explain to me how to politely get out of eating food that can destroy my health without having to deal with embarassing questions? I don't want to be rude, but some people are too damned curious!
    If a brief and polite explanation that you have medical diet restrictions does not deter people, then you have no obligation to satisfy them any further. After that, if they are hurt or offended, it is their fault.

MBTI
    yupp

I'd ask because I'm curious. I do understand being sick and tired of telling people, I'd be sastified with a name that I can look up later on google. I looked up celiacs disease and that sucks. I'm sorry. And yes everything just about is made from gluten it seems. Times like these I'm thankful for the ability to be able to eat whatever I want. Not to rub it in your face. I had a room mate last year that was deathly allergic to most meat, wheat, dairy, peanuts and a plethora of other things she had to take her own food to resteraunts because she was so allergic to most food. Though she had been unable to eat most anything since she was a baby so she doesn't know what she's missing. I guess when you find out that you can't have something years after having the thing then never being able to have it.

I'm a curious person and I get yelled at for staring at the legless person. I don't think "What a freak!" I think "I wonder what happened, and would I offend/be rude if I asked"

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Yeah, I'd suggest just telling them you're gluten intolerant.

The only questions they can ask after that is 'what's gluten?', or something equally inane.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    GONE

Most people are happy about the rampant food sharing at this time of year, neighbors dropping by with a plate of cookies, workplace holiday parties and big family dinners and such. I'm not. "why would anyone dread the holidays?" you may ask- because I can't eat a damned thing

within the past year, after months of tests and misery, I was diagnosed with celiac disease- which along with making me curse my Irish ancestry has restricted what I can eat severely. I can eat nothing containing gluten, which makes eating out and visiting friends hell- I'm now convinced that almost EVERYTHING includes gluten!

I'd love to be polite and eat what is offered to me, but it's really a bad idea, and when I say politely that I'm sorry, I can't eat that food people start to ask questions. Now I'd rather not describe what happens if I eat gluten to people- after all, it's kind of gross- and I was wondering if there's a polite way to tell people to bugger off!?

Can anyone please explain to me how to politely get out of eating food that can destroy my health without having to deal with embarassing questions? I don't want to be rude, but some people are too damned curious!
    My old roommate has SEVERAL extreme food allergies. She also cannot eat gluten. Or anything red or orange or acidic. Or milk products. Or (fill in the blank) It's very hard for her to eat out so she cooks a lot. Luckily (?), there are more people than ever diagnosed with celiac disease and such and such intolerances, so in addition to a magazine just for this condition, there are specialized restaurants and menus popping up (perhaps not in your neck of the woods though) and more magazines and newsletters and websites.

I don't think the nosy people should make you feel bad or judged -- it's a very recent disorder and food allergies in general are on the rise and likewise misunderstand. Always a recipe for misunderstanding.

If you look at these nosy episodes as opportunities to enlighten people, you'll feel better. Curiousity, even kidna rude curiousity is really inevitable when you hit people with something they are unfamiliar with or otherwise very unique. Isn't it nice they want to know though? You can be a one woman educational resource. Or you can just politely end it with, "Food allergies are very common, mine is more extreme -- I can't eat gluten. OR I'LL DIIIIEEEE' Be really dramatic, it might make people so uncomfortable they'll stop talking to you.

This reminds me of the other night when I was at the check-out line. The cashier was very friendly but only as I was getting change from him did I realize his entire right eye was BUSTED UP. Someone knocked the shit out of his eye, it was completely bloodshot and then some, like somehow his pupil ruptured. It was really hard not to stare. I wondered though if he would prefer me to ask him about it and clear the air then try hard to pretend I don't notice.

MBTI
    yupp

Just tell them that you are a zombie, and if they ask again your going to eat their brains.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ

yeah- the problem with the rural midwest is that it's horribly impolite not to eat what's offered to you!
    How 'bout bringing a dish with you that you know you can eat? That was you don't appear to be a freak and you know you're not going to get sick.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

thank you! I always do bring some delightful and edible dish with me! (and then fend other people off from eating it as well)

I just wish that people wouldn't take it as a serious afront when I won't eat what they made
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

I get it, it's frustrating. Some people really do equate 'eat my food' with 'love' and 'approval'.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.