User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I don't know - I've read a bunch on the internet. Some of it matches and some doesn't. I have dry, pale skin, have been chronically tired ever since I was about 12 or so (even with more than average amounts of sleep), and am freezing cold all the time to the point where even my nose is cold (this also dates back to when I was still a young teenager). The problem is that all of these symptoms could be explained in many various ways. I think I will go back to my doctor, but it takes quite awhile to get any kind of tests done here. I've heard some thyroid sufferers are missing enough zinc. Have any of you heard of that?
    You're right it could be many different things. Are you anemic?

My mother was recently diagnosed with this but it wasn't deemed serious enough at this stage for hormone supplements. She is taking a kelp supplement (iodine) and has started regular reflexology which some report has good results (said to stimulate endocrine system).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I've had several blood tests throughout the years and they always come back as being fine for iron. I've also had them check for B vitamin deficiencies.

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

My understanding is that you may want to have your adreanal glads checks as well. It is harder to check adreanal levels because you have to go back several times (I think they check the levels in urine...I think). As I recall, an unbalanced adreanal levels can cause many symptoms similar to thyroid problems and this issue often goes undetected.

Double check me on that info...I am recalling something a read a while back.

Hope you figure it out!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    You're right it could be many different things. Are you anemic?

My mother was recently diagnosed with this but it wasn't deemed serious enough at this stage for hormone supplements. She is taking a kelp supplement (iodine) and has started regular reflexology which some report has good results (said to stimulate endocrine system).
    I linked to iodine as for stimulating the thyroid, normal kelp does little unless its in high dose. There are yoga exercise that help too.

There are two types of iodine necessary for optimal nutrition and thyroid function: Iodine and iodide. The iodine supplements you normally find are made from kelp a seaweed lacking in iodide. Plus, the iodine supplements you'll see on the retail shelves are about 100 times too weak to be effective in stimulating your thyroid!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I don't know - I've read a bunch on the internet. Some of it matches and some doesn't. I have dry, pale skin, have been chronically tired ever since I was about 12 or so (even with more than average amounts of sleep), and am freezing cold all the time to the point where even my nose is cold (this also dates back to when I was still a young teenager). The problem is that all of these symptoms could be explained in many various ways. I think I will go back to my doctor, but it takes quite awhile to get any kind of tests done here. I've heard some thyroid sufferers are missing enough zinc. Have any of you heard of that?
    Try a basal body temperature test. The normal basal body temperature range is between 97.7 and 98.2. Low basal temperatures, below 97.7, may reflect hypothyroidism; high basal temperatures, above 98.2, may be evidence of hyperthyroidism.
    The function of the thyroid gland can be determined by measuring your basal temperature and that can be done with something as simple as a thermometer.
    - Use an oral glass thermometer.
    - Shake the thermometer down before going to bed, and leave it on the bedside table within easy reach.
    - Immediately upon awakening, and with as little movement as possible, place the thermometer firmly in the armpit next to the skin, and leave it in place for 10 minutes.
    - Record the readings for three consecutive days.

Then see if you can get more than TSH
    FT4 Free thyroxine
    FT3 Free liothyronine
    TT4 Total thyroxine
    TT3 Total liothyronine
    rT3 reverse T3
    TPOAb Thyroperoxidase antibodies
    TgAb Antithyroglobulin antibodies

Or something like that. And yeah it could be something else entirely. Your welcome to browse my informative information gathering at my xanga blog about the the subject and why thyroid and adrenal problems may be tricky to properly diagnose even with a lowered reference range...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks Synapse! Did you write all that? How did you become interestd in the subject. There's some good information there that I will investigate further!

Enneagram
    9w8

I am not experienced in the scientific measurements that others are stating, but I am mildly hypoglycemic - not completely devoid of thyroid activity, just a lower level of it.

Lifelong:
    • Cold hands, feet, primarily in extremities. Edit: I always feel cold to others, skin-wise, but I almost never get cold meself. Accidentally worded that wrong.
    • Low energy regularly, which I compensate for with caffeine and knowing how to manipulate my blood sugar through food.
    • A consistently quite low blood sugar level, around 48 when I was measured and hadn't eaten yet.
    • Dry skin - aye. Yay lotion.
    • Highs and lows in energy when it came to highly processed foods - the switch to whole grains and fiber-rich foods over a decade ago made a big difference.
    • No medication - it wasn't deemed necessary by the doctors when I was a teen. :ouch: When they put me on a test prescription it worked really well, though.
    • Blood pressure: squirrelly, I have passed out before because of quick, extreme temperature changes and blood flow.

Ye didn't quite specify your query, though a lot of people have given good information... do you wish for personal accounts, like the above, advice/suggestions as to how to manage it without a doctor involved (lifestyle choices, I mean), or...?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Any or all is great! I personally am more inclined towards non-medicinal solutions, as I think often they come with side effects that are not healthy. I hate to go around self-diagnosing, but this has been close to 20 years of feeling tired, cold and low on energy. I find myself craving sugar a lot, which may just be a human condition, or could indicate something. I am trying to lose weight, but have exercise asthma and was surprised to see respiratory issues associated with thyroid. I have a very very strong family history of peope having thyroid issues, so figured maybe I should investigate further.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Thanks Synapse! Did you write all that? How did you become interested in the subject. There's some good information there that I will investigate further!
    From information I found from books. I've been reading up on it and Broda Barnes was the person who thought of the basal body temperature as a good indicator. How did I become interested, because my thyroid and adrenal glands are weakened and affect my physical and mental capacity. Through exploration of the subject understands why this continues to be an issue for many today.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The cure to underactive thyroid.