• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hap's Saga of Stupid Feet, Continued

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You may have heard me complaining about not being able to balance, and my ankles hurting like all holy hell about the middle of last year, when I started walking to school and taking a gym course. Eventually, though, it stopped, and I thought I was actually getting stronger.

I think I was wrong. My old shoes wore out to oblivion and I got new shoes, and I feel like I'm having the same problem, feet walking unevenly and ankles hurting like all holy hell uphill, when this wasn't true for the old ones. On top of that, today I walked home in just my socks (while carrying a heavy backpack and viola, by the way), and though it hurt the soles of my feet like all bloody damnation, the strain on the rest of my legs was nothing.

What should I do? walk to school in flats?

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
If the shoes are new and you haven't worn them much, it's likely you just haven't broken them in yet. Your feet were used to the padding and give of your old shoes, and the old shoes were molded around your feet. Your new shoes have neither.

It's also possible the shoes you got aren't properly fitted, or not designed well for your needs. I find that having my shoes custom fitted is more expensive but reduces the soreness substanially. The shoes also last longer because I didn't have to beat them up to adjust to my feet.

In your case I'd try to break them in first.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Go to a podiatrist and let him analyze your gait.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^Good suggestion.

Also, do the water test to see what kind of shoes would be best for you.
Dip your foot in water and walk a few steps on sheets of paper laid on the ground. See what the pattern looks like - match it to the arch pattern here. This could help you choose a more comfortable shoe for you.
Shoe Dog: Running Shoes Guide, Shoes Finder, Picking Running Shoes at Road Runner Sports

Ankles hurting and poor balance is not good. Once you have that sorted, as you push yourself with walking uphill, you'll still feel a strain and your muscles may be sore sometimes. That's not bad in itself. Stretch before you walk and after, if possible to ease the pain and still get the workout benefits.

How often do you walk?
If not every day, what do you do in between the walking days?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thick heels are actually bad for you. It forces you to heel strike and puts strain on your knees and shins. The best is thin soled shoes, which encourage you to toe strike, which is how we were designed to walk.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Also, do the water test to see what kind of shoes would be best for you.
Dip your foot in water and walk a few steps on sheets of paper laid on the ground. See what the pattern looks like - match it to the arch pattern here. This could help you choose a more comfortable shoe for you.
Shoe Dog: Running Shoes Guide, Shoes Finder, Picking Running Shoes at Road Runner Sports

Ankles hurting and poor balance is not good. Once you have that sorted, as you push yourself with walking uphill, you'll still feel a strain and your muscles may be sore sometimes. That's not bad in itself. Stretch before you walk and after, if possible to ease the pain and still get the workout benefits.

How often do you walk?
If not every day, what do you do in between the walking days?

Podiatrists cost money, though!

I walk every school day, to and from school. This is about 2 miles, I think. The days in between, well, I usually go out and do stuff, but I guess I don't walk as much.

I'll probably have to try the water test, though.