User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Melasma

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Good to know. Thanks!

Hi, fidelia. To combat this I use that Nia24 sunscreen and Bio-oil overnight. It seems to be working fairly well.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Nia24? Where do you get it? I haven't heard of that. I have BioOil though.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Have any of you ever tried TiSilc sunscreen? I've heard it recommended in several places but it's a little pricey - about $35 for four ounces.

I was reading a little more on a website and they suggested that antibiotics can trigger melasma or hyperpigmentation. Also thyroid or certain mineral/vitamin excesses or definciencies. Too much estrogen also seems to be an issue so eating plant based foods (which neutralize estrogen) and losing weight (fat produces more estrogen) also appear to help.
    Hey Fidelia, I've tried all sorts of sunblocks and sunscreens. I think I tried TiSilc, it was really thick and had that 'heavy/oily' feeling that is common with the 'best' sunblocks. I also got a higher SPF in it though, I never used the whole bottle. They are hard to wear or just uncomfortable. For me the problem also is a lot of sunscreen/sunblock ends up getting ashy/oily on me but the ashiness isn't such a problem for caucasian skin - the oiliness and heavy feeling? Yeah. Of course, I already have oily skin so if you have dry skin maybe you can tolerate it better.

Neutrogena is the best OTC sunblock out there.

A dermatologist recommended Clinique *MEDICAL* (edit, whoops) to me and it works great! A little goes a long way but I can't believe I'm even wearing sunblock so I put on lots and it really does disappear, no streakiness, no heaviness, no oily shine. It's the best sunblock I've ever tried - if it actually works. It sinks in so well I'm suspicious. It's better than Neutrogena but it's also pricier, I think close to TiSilc.

I've had aestheticians tell me not to mix moisturizer with sunblock, or rather, just use a plain sunblock w/o moisturizer otherwise you're clogging your skin?

I am pretty diligent about my skin because it's outta control and it takes a lot of effort to get it under control. Now that's it's calming down, I'm taking care of scarring and discoloration. Unfortunately, the best way to take care of discoloration involves deeper chemical peels or laser resurfacing. IPL especially is good at pigmentation issues. Otherwise, you can do lighter lactic acid (geared more for pigmentation issues and can moisturize) or glycolic peels, like 1x a month and see what happens. The one sure shot way to get rid of moles/dark spots is getting hit with a C02 laser and for just one spot it might be cost effective (and a lot faster) than going for the creams and lighter treatments.

If it's just that one spot, you can just apply the stuff there.

Hydroquinine (sp?) first and licorice second are the best/most common lighteners in addition to Vitamin C. I did 'net research and the 'best' hydroquinine lightener is available only in Canada, not the states. I believe it's OTC...

I also wear dorky hats and sunglasses when I'm out. I really do dress like an old person (senior citizens - and *only* senior citizens - compliment me on my hats, lol) but when I'm a senior citizen we'll see who's having the last laugh!
    Last edited by CzeCze; 03-26-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Medical not Clinical
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I've become a hat lady too. I've thought about IPL. I really hate that looks like a mustache, but isn't effect that starts happening during the summer. Have you ever done any laser stuff? Any things I should know? It seems like every place has a different kind of laser/age/effectiveness and different levels of medical qualifications to use them (I don't want a spa kind of place trying it out on me). Thanks for the sunscreen advice. I have La Roche Posay, which is recommended and is effective, but it feels pretty heavy. I'd be willing to shell out if there's something that still feels okay with makeup. I like Neutrogena's 35 SPF moisturizer, but apparently it only blocks UVB rays.

Smile

I mentioned NIA24 before on the site, I hope I don't come across like a shill for them
    I was researching the best kind of sunscreen and I read about NIA24. I played around on their website: NIA24® — Niacin-Powered Skin Therapy and signed up for a free sample pack. I tried it and I liked it, so now it is what I use every day. It is a mineral physical sunscreen/mild moisturizer that reduces hyper-pigmentation, so that is what I like about it. It is not something a dermotologist prescribes, but many dermos sell it in their offices. I get it at a shop in a cancer center clinic. It is pricey, but it doesn't take much to get coverage for a full day, and the bottle lasts a long time, so its worth it to me. It costs me $45 USD.

Evidently it is available in Canada through some e-tailers like FragranceNet.com.

MBTI
    GONE

Have you ever done any laser stuff? Any things I should know? It seems like every place has a different kind of laser/age/effectiveness and different levels of medical qualifications to use them (I don't want a spa kind of place trying it out on me).
    *placeholder*

Whee! I love talking pet shop talk. I'll fill this in later.

Thanks for the sunscreen advice. I have La Roche Posay, which is recommended and is effective, but it feels pretty heavy. I'd be willing to shell out if there's something that still feels okay with makeup. I like Neutrogena's 35 SPF moisturizer, but apparently it only blocks UVB rays.
    No problem, but whoops it's Clinique *Medical* (not Clinical). It's meant for use before/after cosmetic surgery so you know it's got to be good.

Neutrogena btw when I've checked blocks both UVA and UVB. At least the kind I've bought.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I mentioned NIA24 before on the site, I hope I don't come across like a shill for them
    I was researching the best kind of sunscreen and I read about NIA24. I played around on their website: NIA24® — Niacin-Powered Skin Therapy and signed up for a free sample pack. I tried it and I liked it, so now it is what I use every day. It is a mineral physical sunscreen/mild moisturizer that reduces hyper-pigmentation, so that is what I like about it. It is not something a dermotologist prescribes, but many dermos sell it in their offices. I get it at a shop in a cancer center clinic. It is pricey, but it doesn't take much to get coverage for a full day, and the bottle lasts a long time, so its worth it to me. It costs me $45 USD.

Evidently it is available in Canada through some e-tailers like FragranceNet.com.
    Thanks! Maybe I'll get a sample of it. What's the texture of it like?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    *placeholder*

Whee! I love talking pet shop talk. I'll fill this in later.

No problem, but whoops it's Clinique *Medical* (not Clinical). It's meant for use before/after cosmetic surgery so you know it's got to be good.

Neutrogena btw when I've checked blocks both UVA and UVB. At least the kind I've bought.
    Please do! I'm interested in laser stuff, but it's a lot of trouble to sort through so much conflicting information (or lack thereof)!

Thanks! Maybe I'll get a sample of it. What's the texture of it like?
    It is non-greasy. Which is great for me, because my face is more oily than dry, as in it tends to get shiny. It may not be adequate as a moisturizer-sunscreen (how I use it) if your face tends toward dryness. But it can be combined with moisturizer. It is normal for sunscreen as far as texture, not milky or runny or anything, not paste-like either. It absorbs pretty rapidly. I dislike sunscreens that don't absorb and give you greasy-white-shiny-sunscreen-face.