• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Women carrying twins get a ton of ultrasounds. A TON! And they start screening most women now in the first trimester, around 10 weeks if they are measuring larger than they should be. If there are twins, they do an u/s at every visit, at least, and that is a lot, because women carrying twins see the practitioner more frequently than women with a single baby.

And 30 min is really nothing when they are having fun looking at twins in office, and searching for twin gender, etc.

That is a very good point. I was weary of ultrasounds and only had one with my son. Who knows what causes the mutation, if indeed it is a mutation at all. Honestly as you know, no one knows what it is.

But, if that were the case why would identical twins over fraternal twins have more instances in the disorder? It should be on a similar scale if it is the radiation from the ultrasound machine causing harm on a genetic level.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is a very good point. I was weary of ultrasounds and only had one with my son. Who knows what causes the mutation, if indeed it is a mutation at all. Honestly as you know, no one knows what it is.

But, if that were the case why would identical twins over fraternal twins have more instances in the disorder? It should be on a similar scale if it is the radiation from the ultrasound machine causing harm on a genetic level.

Yes, you are right. I found this:

Two studies, one in the United States (done by David Greenberg, a geneticist at Columbia University in New York) and other in Britain (done by Christopher Gillberg of St George's Hospital Medical School in London), found a higher rate of autism among twins. The rate of autism in identical twins was 12 – 14 times that of the general population, and the rate of autism in fraternal twins was about 4 times higher than the general population. Another study presented at a conference in Boston in 2005 postulated that birth month greatly affects the chances of twins suffering from autism with twins born in January having an 80% higher chance of developing the disorder than twins born in December.

While this information may seem scary at first, it's important to note two things: most of these studies relied on small samples groups, which may not provide the most reliable information. Also, the Columbia study limited itself to twins with siblings with autism, which has been identified as a risk factor for developing the disorder, and may have skewed the results. Finally, most twins will not suffer from autistic disorders, and even if one twin does develop autism, there is no guarantee that the other will develop it as well (even amongst identical twins). One mother of twins kept a daily diary on her fraternal twins' development; through this diary, one can see signs of autism in one of the twins dating from six months of age. Now twelve years old, one twin is autistic, and the other is unaffected. However, the mother's documentation of the twins development opened the eyes of researchers and parents as to the pervasiveness of this disorder, and the possibility that it can be identified much earlier than previously thought.

For years, scientists, parents, and doctors have debated the causes of autism. At first, twin studies seemed to point to a genetic cause for the disease; however, the increased risk amongst fraternal twins (though not as high as that of identicals) seems to indicate that perhaps something about being a twin could also be a factor. This means that environmental factors in the womb, placental development, or even the experience of being raised with a same-age sibling could have some triggering effect for autism.

Some authorities estimate that the incidence of autistic disorders has increased over 172% since 1990. Others argue that the incidence of autism has remained static, but our ability to identify and assist autistic children has improved. For more information on the studies cited in this article, and to access information on having twins assessed for autism, see the links below:
Excess of Twins among Affected Sibling Pairs with Autism: Implications for the Etiology of Autism David A. Greenberg, Susan E. Hodge, Janice Sowinski, and Doug Nicoll from The American Journal of Human Genetics

I think that statistic is so high that it points to more of an acute phenomenon since 1990, than a completely genetic component. I bet if I researched U/S stats, I'd find that U/S took off around that time period. (I know anecdotally it did, but don't feel like finding stats)

But there is the hint of identical twins having more probs. Perhaps, as with vaccines, there is a genetic predisposition to ASD, and U/S exposure, as vaccine exposure, promotes and causes expression of these disorders, that might otherwise go undetected.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I think that statistic is so high that it points to more of an acute phenomenon since 1990, than a completely genetic component. I bet if I researched U/S stats, I'd find that U/S took off around that time period. (I know anecdotally it did, but don't feel like finding stats)

But there is the hint of identical twins having more probs. Perhaps, as with vaccines, there is a genetic predisposition to ASD, and U/S exposure, as vaccine exposure, promotes and causes expression of these disorders, that might otherwise go undetected.

Thanks for the info. The subject is so interesting.

I think that genetic predisposition mixed with environment is the most likely cause for everything. I don't think either one is 100%.

I just hope we get closer to the "why" of it. I realize that some people can have a pretty normal life with the disorder, but some cannot at all. I just hope in the future the answer is there.

:)

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
so you're admitting to being a conspiracy theorist. How else are we going to falsify your beliefs if you wont trust any information? :rofl1:

What? :huh: I didn't start this thread asking you "to falsify my beliefs". I said that I vaccinated my baby under the assumption that what the mainstream tells me is correct and now I am finding out that there are other points of view. Who's talking about "conspiracy theory"? I already said before that I am trying to stick to information from qualified experts.

And who says I "won't trust any information"? So any information outside of CNN, etc. is "no information"? I just don't trust that things are exactly as the mainstream media says because the mainstream media is bought and owned. It's not independent. That is a fact. And any point of view, including NY Times, is going to have some bias because that's just human. There are other valid points of view. If you read more than one point of view you are in a better position to come to your own point of view. I like to form my own opinion and am open-minded enough to consider what different people have to say, not have it dictated to me by a single source thank you very much.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the info. The subject is so interesting.

I think that genetic predisposition mixed with environment is the most likely cause for everything. I don't think either one is 100%.

I just hope we get closer to the "why" of it. I realize that some people can have a pretty normal life with the disorder, but some cannot at all. I just hope in the future the answer is there.

:)

I just wish the public and medical practitioners would learn to use technology in a more judicious way, instead of assuming that beneficial inventions are totally innocuous.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, thanks for the info. I didn't even stop to think what the negative effect of ultrasounds might be. I am learning that I have to take a lot more responsibility for my medical treatment.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
We get one vaccine at a time. This is not because I think they're very harmful- it's because my son has febrile seizures and if a vaccine gives him a high enough fever to lead to a seizure, I want to know which one it is so I can pre-medicate him for the boosters. (Although I usually do that anyway.)

I think the anti-vaccine thing is misinformed hype. But I agree about the Hep B vaccine- we didn't get it for our babies. We did get it before they started school, though, because while I don't think it's strictly speaking necessary, I also don't think it's harmful. I'm saving my protest for something more substantial.

Also, vaccines don't cause autism, I am as confident about that as I am about anything.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes, you are right. I found this:

I disagree. Here's a good link that explores the idea of an autism "epidemic."

California’s Invisible Autism Epidemic Continues

As Deb on Asperger Square 8 says, "Don't panic! It has always been this way."

autistic.adult_acknowledge.jpg

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What? :huh: I didn't start this thread asking you "to falsify my beliefs". I said that I vaccinated my baby under the assumption that what the mainstream tells me is correct and now I am finding out that there are other points of view. Who's talking about "conspiracy theory"? I already said before that I am trying to stick to information from qualified experts.

And who says I "won't trust any information"? So any information outside of CNN, etc. is "no information"? I just don't trust that things are exactly as the mainstream media says because the mainstream media is bought and owned. It's not independent. That is a fact. And any point of view, including NY Times, is going to have some bias because that's just human. There are other valid points of view. If you read more than one point of view you are in a better position to come to your own point of view. I like to form my own opinion and am open-minded enough to consider what different people have to say, not have it dictated to me by a single source thank you very much.

Your post had an air of, "dont trust the MAN and HIS newspapers! they are all bought by the corporations!!!" :rofl1:

Generally, scientific beliefs need to be falsifiable. Thats what I meant. You can have a belief/position that is 100% falsifiable that is actually true. Its more about how you formulate the hypothesis. The comment about the mainstream media made me think about the conspiracy theorists who are basically unfalsifiable, because any contradicting information they chalk up to being "part of the conspiracy".

FYI, I actually am against modern medicine when it comes to diet for example. I eat strictly paleo/ketogenic/high protein/high fat. I do not think that modern humans were designed to eat hundreds of grams of carbohydrates a day.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
All sources of information are not equally valid and reliable. FYI, I'm not saying CNN is valid or reliable. But I've never seen an anti-vaccine organization that didn't make at least serious errors in logic, at worst complete fabrications.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your post had an air of, "dont trust the MAN and HIS newspapers! they are all bought by the corporations!!!" :rofl1:

Generally, scientific beliefs need to be falsifiable. Thats what I meant. You can have a belief/position that is 100% falsifiable that is actually true. Its more about how you formulate the hypothesis. The comment about the mainstream media made me think about the conspiracy theorists who are basically unfalsifiable, because any contradicting information they chalk up to being "part of the conspiracy".

FYI, I actually am against modern medicine when it comes to diet for example. I eat strictly paleo/ketogenic/high protein/high fat. I do not think that modern humans were designed to eat hundreds of grams of carbohydrates a day.

Scientific studies, however, aren't able to take into account future sequelie. And there is a trend in this country, with medicine, and technological advances in medicine, to leap before you look..... The scientific method falls short when it comes to new technology (including vaccines) because it takes into account current results only. And things are approved before many years, enough years, have elapsed to really get an idea about fallout; driven by many things, including money and overzealous idealism. X-rays/hormone replacement therapy and breast cancer/circumcision/ are just a few examples of this.

That some thoughtful consumers are cognizant of this is not paranoia. It's common sense and intellectual savvy!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I do find the whole "money-grubbing vaccine makers" thing to be a bit of a red herring. The pharmaceutical companies are not unbiased at all, it's true. However, vaccines are by and large not their moneymakers. They're given a few times in a person's lifetime, and many of them are given to countries that can't pay for them. The drugs people take every day for a lifetime are the moneymakers for the pharmaceutical companies.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a universal vaccine? I don't think there could be, because it would be a breach in the uncontrollable flow of nature and life..but still, the speculation is neat!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do find the whole "money-grubbing vaccine makers" thing to be a bit of a red herring. The pharmaceutical companies are not unbiased at all, it's true. However, vaccines are by and large not their moneymakers. They're given a few times in a person's lifetime, and many of them are given to countries that can't pay for them. The drugs people take every day for a lifetime are the moneymakers for the pharmaceutical companies.

I'm not sure if you were speaking to me or not, but, yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of other intricate reasons why we jump in with technological advances before we have tested or studied them enough. Money is just but one of the reasons, and in the case of vaccines, might indeed be one of the lesser reasons. That wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

My point was that physicians and scientists get a bit caught up in playing God and, oftentimes, end up causing more problems than they solve; or, at the very least, don't give the whole spiel about their inventions while making them universal in their applications.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Do you really think vaccines "cause more problems than they solve"? I think the fact that kids don't typically die of these diseases anymore (or they didn't, back when everybody actually vaccinated for them--they're making a comeback now. Thanks a lot Wakefield!) is a pretty huge solution. I have not seen evidence that vaccines cause any problem even approaching the magnitude of childhood diseases like polio or even measles. They are not without risk- but nobody ever said that they were. The risks (IMO) have been vastly overstated by people who don't really understand the way they work.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
hahaha today my brother had one of those discussions.
He said do I know what amino acids are, I said yes.
Then explain it to me.
I can't, I have memory problems.
He said then you forgot.
I said, but I wrote about it last week.
Then explain it to me.
Whats the colour of a clear sky.
Then he starts explaining to me what amino acids are and that I'm eating a high protean diet without enough vegetables and fruit. Nvm I eat apples daily and prepare salad on my off days and eat fruit from the staff fruit basket. hahaha.

Then he goes we are all sick, I said duh. Do you know your sickness. He goes yeah, his slow platelets are doing something to his body due too poor dna structure and he doesn't know why. He says maybe he got poisoned or passed on through genetics and doesn't remember where from.
If I said maybe its from vaccines he'd say I'm nuts, he leaves angry and sms's me he's given up on my attitude. The one where I have a boundary and refuse to be a door mat and help him out with stuff.

Anyway a confused Dr who has an identity crisis and is a bit outspoken, wrote the following. I'm reluctant to ponder his credibility but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Here are ten basic facts about vaccination that most people don't know but should know:

1. Vaccines cause brain damage - and can kill. Since the 1970s the British Government has very quietly handed out tens of thousands of pounds to parents of children suffering from brain damage caused by vaccines. If you inject potentially toxic substances into small children you will get problems. The Government secretly admits this.

2. The number of vaccines is rising rapidly. American children now receive around 30 vaccinations before they go to school. Today there are vaccines against all sorts of non-deadly diseases such as mumps and measles which were traditionally regarded as inconvenient. When a vaccine is introduced a disease stops being a minor childhood disease and officially becomes a serious killer. The authorities issue scare warnings in order to frighten people into having the jab. The number of children diagnosed as suffering from autism has rocketed just as the number of children being vaccinated has risen. This isn't just true of the UK, its true of all countries where children are vaccinated. Autism is a disorder which involves brain damage. And remember no 1 on my list of facts: vaccines cause brain damage. Now, here's the killer fact: when a research project was set up to establish a link between vaccination and autism, drug companies applied to a court for an injunction to stop the research. Now, why would they do that? And vaccines don't seem to cause only autism. It now seems possible that vaccinations may cause diseases such as arthritis, eczema and irritable bowel syndrome - because of their interfering with the immune system. It's difficult to get research done on these because most research is paid for by drug companies and the government and neither want to pay for this type of research.

3. Doctors and drug companies make large amounts of money from vaccines. GPs get bonuses if they can force enough of their patients to have vaccinations. It is not unknown for doctors to throw patients off their list because they won't accept vaccinations - because this affects the GP's earnings.

4. No one knows which vaccines interact badly. No one knows what effect all these vaccines have on the immune system. No one knows how safe they are. They don't know because no one has ever tried to find out. What is beyond dispute is that vaccines can and do kill people. One anti-flu vaccine which was given to over a million Americans contained a monkey virus which causes cancer.

5. Many of the diseases which we are told have been extinct by vaccines were disappearing or controlled long before the vaccines were introduced. For example, the number of deaths from polio fell before the first polio vaccination was introduced. Look at the figures and you'll see that the incidence of polio went up after the vaccine was introduced. In Tennessee the number of children who got polio before vaccination was introduced was 119. The year after vaccination was introduced it was 386. Traditionally, deaths from whooping cough occur among very young babies - who are too young to have the vaccine anyway.

6. Vaccines are developed using material taken from animals. Tissues include brain tissue from rabbits, kidney tissue from dogs and monkeys, blood from pigs, protein from hens eggs. This can be dangerous because cell cultures may be and sometimes are contaminated. During the 1990s children received vaccinations prepared using material which could have been infected with BSE. The British Government was warned of the hazard. We won't know whether this is serious or not for another decade. Some vaccines are made with aborted human foetal tissue. No one knows what diseases might be in that tissue.

7. Many vaccines contain thimerosal which contains mercury. Mercury is one of the most toxic substances known to man. The World Health Organisation says there is no safe level for mercury in the human body.

8. Between 20% and 50% of people who are vaccinated don't get a resistance to the disease against which they have been immunised. So they are put at risk to no benefit.

9. Epidemics of foot and mouth disease always start in countries where vaccination against foot and mouth is compulsory. The evidence suggests that the rabies vaccine is keeping rabies alive.

10. Vaccines are now compulsory in some countries - eg America. This week I received an e-mail from the Czech republic asking for permission to translate material on vaccines from my website - where incidentally all the information is free and there are no ads - because, I'm told, vaccination is now compulsory there and there is no anti-vaccination material available. Governments are enthusiastic about vaccines because they believe that vaccinations help stop the spread of diseases in a community and therefore save money. When kids have measles their mums stay off work. That costs the economy money. Vaccines are given to minimise disruption and to save money. If your child is vaccinated then you are allowing the government to use your child to protect the economy by reducing the incidence of disease in the community. Child A is vaccinated to stop child B or C getting the disease and to stop the parents of B or C having time off work. The authorities are now even talking of giving the rubella vaccine to young boys to help cut the incidence of that disease among pregnant women.
Remember, if these facts weren't true I would either be sued or struck off the medical register. Remember, too, that over the last 40 years I've made a lot of enemies who would be only too happy to report me - and, indeed, who do so frequently in vain attempts to stop me telling the truth. And remember that I have no vested interests. I don't represent anyone. If I thought vaccines were marvellous I would say so and attack the people trying to oppose their use. My only interest is the truth. My concern is that I believe that the amount of illness and the number of deaths caused by vaccinations far exceeds the amount of illness and the number of deaths which vaccinations might prevent. The information on my website is all available free of charge and I don't accept advertisements or sponsors for any of my books.
What to do if you or your child is having a vaccination:

1. If your doctor wants to vaccinate you, ask him to confirm in writing that the vaccine is both essential and safe and that the person having the vaccination is healthy enough to receive it. And get the doctor to tell you the batch number of the vaccine. You will probably notice his enthusiasm disappear.

2. If you do have a vaccination keep the name of the doctor, the date and time and batch number safely. Lawsuits against doctors, drug companies and the government usually fail because people don't have this information.

3. I believe that if children scream or show unusual signs after a vaccination then there is a real chance that they will develop autism. Sadly, its too late to do anything about it then. But videotape children before and after vaccination and you will be better placed to sue for damages.

And this.

Autism Mimics The Exact Same Symptoms As Mercury Poisoning!

The characteristics of autism and mercury poisoning, derived from a review of medical literature, have been found, upon comparison, to be strikingly similar. The characteristics of both disorders are summarized in the following table and fully elucidated in the body of this document. The parallels between the two diseases are so close that it would be unreasonable to assume that the similarities occur by chance.

What do you think. I suppose the site is promoting their own stuff yet the comparison between the two is interesting if its without bias. Maybe vaccines don't cause autism disorders and I'm looking into it too much as usual. Is any of the symptoms true, I mean the table in that link?

I know that vaccines are needed to prevent awful illnesses but I do wonder sometimes the wisdom in adding new ones, wouldn't it overload the brain.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Can we please put that old chestnut to rest once and for all? Autism isn't a disease, and vaccines don't cause it. It is a fundamental difference in the way the brain is wired, and vaccines do not rewire the brain. Autism is not a death sentence or a tragedy. Panicked parents who want to DO SOMETHING!!!!! and quacks who want to sell them "alternative remedies" (which are tested a lot less diligently than vaccines, if at all) are pushing this agenda. The mindset that can frown on a vaccine that comes with low risk (not NO risk, nobody has ever made that claim) but then happily accept the far more risky treatment of chelation, or even hormonal treatments used to chemically castrate sex offenders, is not a scientifically sound mindset.

Misconceptions about Immunization

Do Children Get Too Many Immunizations? The Answer is No.

Dr. Paul Offit: Debunking the Vaccine-Autism Link - Newsweek.com

Why Paul Offit Isn't Flexible on Vaccines - On Medicine (usnews.com)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
and quacks who want to sell them "alternative remedies" (which are tested a lot less diligently than vaccines, if at all) are pushing this agenda.

The idea of "alternative remedies" sounds interesting, but yeah, the people who pitch that stuff can be scum bags.

Kevin Trudeau, maybe the most popular "guru" of this kind, is about to go to jail for harassing a judge. The FTC has been after him for misleading advertising on his Natural Cures books.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lots of valid treatments start out as alternative treatments, but the field is polluted with quacks. Because they are unregulated as long as the producers put the Quack Miranda Warning on there somewhere:

Quack Miranda Warning said:
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.