User Tag List

Default trying to quit smoking; your experiences?

I've been smoking regularly for about 2 years now, I go through about a pack of 20 cigarettes in 3-4 days, faster if I'm hanging out with my smoker buddies. I used to smoke primarily because my friends smoked so much, and we all sort of made it worse for each other- all of us smoke on our own when we're alone, too.

recently the heaviest smoker of the group (and most socially dominant) went overseas to study, and I thought it coincided with a nice time for me to cut down. I've always been an agnostic of sorts- i know it's bad for me, but i really like it and i haven't found a good enough reason to quit.

finally i've decided i'm going to do it as a test of mental fortitude more than anything else. your experiences, guys?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I did that mental fortitude thing once. Quit for about a year.
    It's nice to have a cigarette every now and then, though.
    I'm taking a break from it all right now, though, because i've started working out seriously.

The withdrawal part is definitely worst. My appetite goes up from big to EAT WORLD, I get impatient and such.
    Distraction (computer games, books, movies, tv series), social isolation and complete avoidance of stores for a couple of days at least is more or less mandatory.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Electric cigarettes.

I really didn't see myself quitting normal cigs anytime soon, but then I started on these, just to try them out, and I've never thought about going back since.

I still get nicotine, but it comes in vapor, not smoke. In fact, I'm probably getting more nicotine now, because it's so easy to puff on without stopping. And now tobacco smoke grosses me out, I feel retarded for doing it for so long.

MBTI
    INTx

It took my father a decade or so to quit. The difficulty he had was convincing himself that it was worth the tradeoffs. For him, smoking was a destresser, and it helped his weight. It took until he ran across a half-year or so of uninturrupted low stress to finally kick it. So I guess my advice would be to consider why you're doing it and start on a high note of motivation. Don't just do it for the sake of it.

The cost in long-term health is absolutely brutal. My aunt is dying of lung cancer at the moment. She'll be dead within two weeks, no chance of recovery. Heavy smoker. That would be motivation enough for me.

Good luck!

MBTI
    ISTP

BBC NEWS | Health | Smoking alters brain 'like drugs'

Non-organic drugs are bad, mkay...

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Electric cigarettes.

I really didn't see myself quitting normal cigs anytime soon, but then I started on these, just to try them out, and I've never thought about going back since.

I still get nicotine, but it comes in vapor, not smoke. In fact, I'm probably getting more nicotine now, because it's so easy to puff on without stopping. And now tobacco smoke grosses me out, I feel retarded for doing it for so long.
    i tried those before! it was fun for a while but for me i actually really enjoy the little things like the smell of the burning, the warmth and heat of the cigarette, and even the smell of tobacco. i like to roll my own tobacco. lol

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    It's nice to have a cigarette every now and then, though..
    when this happens, do you buy them yourself or bum from others? :O

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    when this happens, do you buy them yourself or bum from others? :O
    I buy them myself of course! If i'm in a situation where I can't possibly go buy any, I will possibly bum one or two and give back either cigarettes or money.
    Can't stand being in debt or bumming off of others.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i quit several months ago. i had been smoking since i was maybe 13 or 14, and quitting was pretty hard at first. after a little while it gets a lot easier though. after a while it becomes more and more about guarding against these silly lapses in judgment, rather than dealing with intense cravings.

i started chewing on pencils, a lot. haha, it was really a help to me though. i still chew on pencils all the time.
    i also know chewing gum helps some people while quitting.

i'm doing pretty okay, i think.

3 days ago: 3 sticks
    2 days ago: 4 sticks
    yesterday: 1 stick
    today: 0 sticks