User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default The Skinny Supermodel Gene

Thoughts?

Observations from real life?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Thought about this supermodel thingy. People who are thin and still eating a lot, they should have died during infancy, if things would have been as they should I don't say that to be cruel, it just is.

I get fat from looking at a cookie (I've weighed 240 pounds at one time in my life, and i'm 5'7 tall). Well that period of my life is gone due to a lot of swimming, working and eating less. But still, i'm glad that I can get sufficient nutrition better than them, effectively making me able to survive where they would die.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The women in my family tend to be very thin at least into their thirties, put on a bit of weight after menopause, but never get really overweight. My grandmother looked just like Olive Oyle when she was young except she wore glasses. I will never forget the time she told me "You have a nice figure. You're not skinny like I was." I weighed 86 lbs @5'2". I had the "advantage" of not being 5'6". With the exception of my pregnancies, I did not gain weight until my early thirties. One of my daughters appears to have inherited this. My other daughter has a normal build.

Oh, and could my grandma and mother ever put the food away! They wouldn't eat big all the time, but sometimes I would wonder where they were putting it all. I cannot eat like that, it's too uncomfortable.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

My dad was the scrawny one; the article claims this gene can only be passed on by mothers.

Although I was always a "normal" weight, when I got sick (think Africa + hair falling out + year of sleeping 24/7) I wasn't able to gain weight. And I still can't do it.

My mom is getting really concerned about me and keeps handing me juice/pop drinks/making me eat all the time (i'm literally not allowed to go to bed unless i've eaten a 2nd supper now, she's that concerned about my weight).

I'm sort of
    a) fascinated in the very INTJ way about how something as seemingly obvious as weight (input is related to what remains?) can be so dramatically different
    b) starting to get nervous over my inability to find a healthy weight like something might be wrong.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hmm. My only siblings are two half brothers (we all have the same mom and different dads) and one of them is short and thin (though starting to put on some weight in his thirties) the other is tall and average build. The tall one is not quite sixteen, so it's too soon to tell what his body will do.

My dad is short and was thin into his thirties. My short brother's dad is short and average build. My tall brother's dad was a bit on the heavy side. Depression and grief have made him thinner in the last few years.

Are you healthy besides your inability to gain weight? I could never gain weight when I was younger and I still have not figured out the pattern to my weight fluctuations now. I was always pretty healthy though. My appetite was fine, too, just never liked eating a bunch of food at a time.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my sister is a stick! she's built like the traditional supermodel (as is my mom and her entire side of the family) that's the tall side of the family and the size that wears sizes like 0 long for jeans

unfortunatly, I take after my dad's side of the family, which is still slim, but well muscled and with the build of healthy farm people (I have trouble finding dress jackets that will fit over my shoulders and chest sadly enough, but still manage to wear size 3 jeans! makes me wonder if I'd make a better man sometimes! )

on the bright side- I have tits, which nobody on my mom's side can claim!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

Are you healthy besides your inability to gain weight?
    I am 5'7. I can maintain 117-120lbs (through sheer volume of input) for a few weeks, but then for no reason, and with no pattern, I crash and lose weight and am lucky if i can hold 112lbs. Repeat.

I get tired more easily than I think someone of my age (21) and life demands (minimal) should. I treat my body well and get lots of sleep but I don't know why I keep crashing weight. My menstrual cycle has (finally) settled in to a relatively-predictable (I know the week that it's coming but not the few days) pattern (it was 60-70 days in between two years ago, and before that it used to be clockwork 28 days).

I should probably go see my doctor again. I always feel like I'm bugging him b/c all my tests show up clear, but I still think there's something not right with me. I don't think I'm naturally meant to be scrawny. Athletic-skinny, yes. Scrawny? No.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    on the bright side- I have tits, which nobody on my mom's side can claim!
    My family bane! Thank God for padded bras!

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I am 5'7. I can maintain 117-120lbs (through sheer volume of input) for a few weeks, but then for no reason, and with no pattern, I crash and lose weight and am lucky if i can hold 112lbs. Repeat.

I get tired more easily than I think someone of my age (21) and life demands (minimal) should. I treat my body well and get lots of sleep but I don't know why I keep crashing weight. My menstrual cycle has (finally) settled in to a relatively-predictable (I know the week that it's coming but not the few days) pattern (it was 60-70 days in between two years ago, and before that it used to be clockwork 28 days).

I should probably go see my doctor again. I always feel like I'm bugging him b/c all my tests show up clear, but I still think there's something not right with me. I don't think I'm naturally meant to be scrawny. Athletic-skinny, yes. Scrawny? No.
    The delayed menses are a pretty good sign that you are below what is a healthy weight for you. It really wouldn't be a bad idea to get it looked into.
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My family bane! Thank God for padded bras!
    at least they make your size! a 32 C is damn near impossible to find around here!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    at least they make your size! a 32 C is damn near impossible to find around here!
    Ugh! Yes it would be. The 32As I wore for years were findable, but usually in the girls department.
    ~ John Rogers