123 Last

Thread: Shampoo free?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Shampoo free?

To those of you who have gone shampoo free -

How long did it take for your scalp/hair to adjust?

Did you feel it made your hair look better ultimately?

I made it a week and then had to cave. Is there a way to just less and less frequently use it and your scalp will adjust better? I have wavy hair and a scalp that tends to be dry, so I figured I would like to avoid overstripping my hair. I can't stand the adjustment period though! Ideas?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Herbal Hair Care handmade herbal shampoo bars herbal hair rinses herbally infused vinegar rinse for natural hair care essential oils herbally infused oils

^ My suggestion for shampoo that won't strip oils out of your hair too much. Super gentle.

You can also do vinegar rinses.. Those are really helpful for balancing the ph in your hair.

I went shampoo free for 2 1/2 weeks. My hair is oily and REALLY thick though, so I had to cave. I try to wash my hair no more than 3 times a week, and it seems to help with the frizzy nature my hair tends to have.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Are you using conditioner instead of shampoo, or do you mean you're not shampooing at all?

MBTI
    INTP

My sister did the thing where you cleanse with baking soda, vinegar, and regular conditioner alternately. She kept waiting for the miracle everyone said would happen. It just wrecked her hair. Her hairdresser asked her what she was shampooing with, b/c her hair was so dry.

I am totally sold on WEN, though. It's a cleansing conditioner, and it has totally transformed my damaged hair. It looks and feels SO much healthier and shinier. I ran out of WEN and started using Sally's Beauty Supply's version of it, called Hair One. Hair One works well for my hair, too, but it's not quite as luxurious-feeling (the product itself), and it kind of makes my scalp itchy. So I'm going to re-order the WEN and also try the dry scalp formulation of Hair One in the meantime.

I had just bought some expensive Fekkai shampoo from Bath & Body Works at Christmas, and now it's just sitting there unused. The cleansing conditioner has been so good for my hair that I may never shampoo again!
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yeah, you might want to try the Curly Girl method
    How to Follow the Curly Girl Method for Curly Hair (with video) - wikiHow.

DevaCurl products fit the requirements for this general philosophy of washing your hair very gently and avoiding certain chemicals.

What's shampoo?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    To those of you who have gone shampoo free -

How long did it take for your scalp/hair to adjust?

Did you feel it made your hair look better ultimately?

I made it a week and then had to cave. Is there a way to just less and less frequently use it and your scalp will adjust better? I have wavy hair and a scalp that tends to be dry, so I figured I would like to avoid overstripping my hair. I can't stand the adjustment period though! Ideas?
    I couldn't get over the initial greasy phase either, if you use the baking soda + vinegar rinse method everyday it feels the same as conventional shampooing without the giant poof monster fro. You may be able to adjust if you do this everyday then every other etc. However some people have to go easy with the baking soda because it can dry the hell out of your hair/scalp so it is just a matter of experimenting. Some people use essential oil in the AC vinegar to mask the smell.

ThatGirl

I do not recommend quitting shampoo. If it is some religious belief you have or whatever, more power to you. Your problem is pretty common and easy to fix...while maintaining cleanliness. As a matter of fact, quiting proper hair care may make it worse.

What product are you using right now?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

i've been shampoo-free for about six months now. for the first few weeks (about a month, i suppose) my hair felt very dry but looked terribly oily. after that, it seemed to adjust, and now when i use "real" shampoo, my hair looks worse (it's flatter, oilier, and frizzier) and my scalp is itchier (i have a little dandruff) than when i only use baking soda and water. the thing is not to wash your hair too often, and not to use too much baking soda or vinegar. you must find the balance that is right for your own hair. in my case, it's about a tablespoon of baking soda per 8 oz. of water every other day, and a diluted apple cider vinegar wash about once a month. hope this helps.

기회는 한 번뿐이야.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Why stop washing your hair?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge