User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Shampoo free?

MBTI
    yupp

I don't know, I use generic shampoo and probably wash once or twice a week. and my hair does fine.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I've been doing this for a couple months now and my hair feels awesome.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

This is the shampoo that I wash my hair with.

Some shampoos like anti dandruff burned my scalp when I had dandruff. And other shampoos did as well with extra additives, the current shampoo doesn't react with my scalp.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    To those of you who have gone shampoo free -

How long did it take for your scalp/hair to adjust?

Did you feel it made your hair look better ultimately?

I made it a week and then had to cave. Is there a way to just less and less frequently use it and your scalp will adjust better? I have wavy hair and a scalp that tends to be dry, so I figured I would like to avoid overstripping my hair. I can't stand the adjustment period though! Ideas?
    Ah yeah, I highly recommend weaning yourself off of it over the course of a few weeks. And I had to rinse my hair super super thoroughly every single day I didn't use shampoo (like, really get in there and scrub with your fingers). My hair behaved quite well after about 2 weeks, very soft, no itchy scalp.

But after a couple of months of no shampoo I switched back. My hair started to get kinda gross.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

I didn't read the thread, but I just read something online a few days ago, that the whole washing your hair too much or using hair spray damages your hair is a myth FWIW. Blow drying might be a different story though. My hair gets nasty if I go a day without washing.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Washing your hair too much probably doesn't really damage it. Some of the ingredients in most shampoos do irritate the scalp though.

A lot of people probably never have any issue with it, but if I wash my hair too much my scalp itches like crazy. And gets oily way faster. It is as gross as you would imagine.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

figsfiggyfigs

I've started doing that no shampoo thing as well, My hair is naturally not very oily, so thats great but it was always so dry and I had a lot of hair falling out.

I use conditioner to wash my hair out, its as good as shampoo. My hair feels strong, hella shiny, and is VERY healthy compared to before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Hey, fidelia--you can get WEN products through their site (but they'll set up auto-delivery). You can also order them through QVC. I like the sweet almond mint kind. It's called WEN by Chaz Dean.

Tilty--I've just spent the last two days reading the Naturally Curly forums, thanks to you! I'm going to try doing their curl methods on my wavy hair.
    I think I'm gonna give WEN a try. I like Philip B (I got it as a gift for Christmas and it's like lathery caramel for your hair, mmmm), but good grief it's expensive Charlie Brown.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I think I'm gonna give WEN a try. I like Philip B (I got it as a gift for Christmas and it's like lathery caramel for your hair, mmmm), but good grief it's expensive Charlie Brown.
    I'm still using WEN. I love it--my hair really doesn't do as well with anything else. I keep hoping they'll strike a deal to be carried at Wal-Mart and the price will go down a bit. No such luck yet.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think you made Ivy a believer in WEN!