Thread: Shampoo free?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    The theory is that silicones, dimethicones, and all the other stuff in shampoo and conditioner that makes your hair so shiny and silky is actually not nourishing your hair at all;
    Hey Tiltyred!

Regarding my color bolding above, it is my understanding that our hair is actually "dead", in that the only living cells ar at the root/follicle level, and once the shaft of hair (keratin) comes out, it is no longer living tissue. It is however in better shape towards the root than the tip of the hair shaft, especially for longer hair, as over time shampoos, styling products, curling irons and blow dryers all contribute to drying/damaging the shaft.

So by "nourish" I'm assuming you mean "improve the condition of" and not "provide sustenance to living tissue" right? Because that is exactly what silicon (+ other cons, except Neocons) do to hair. Silicon is so slick and hard to get rid of that auto paint shops do not let any product with silicon on thier premises, especially Armor All, as it gets everywhere and screws up the paint jobs it contacts.

in fact, it is keeping it coated so the hair can't receive any moisture at all -- so when you wash with a clarifying shampoo like neutrogena, your head looks like the business end of a broom. Whereas if you don't use products with silicones, your hair will find its own equilibrium and will begin to shine and behave on its own.
    Yup, that's exactly what I was talking about.

I've cut it all back off, though, it's just so much easier. Back to my default short hair.
    I'll cut mine when I get my graduate degree, when I have to interview for a real job.

Cheers!

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I really don't think I could get away with the whole shampoo thing just from the starting process alone! I have really fine hair (my stylist compared it to cat's hair ) which starts to look rather grungy after one day sans washing... on top of that it's rather dry and color treated, so I use super moisturizing shampoo that's color safe.

I can't see the whole going shampoo free thing working with my hair (for one thing I'd have to restart every month or so whenever the hair gets colored! :horor Though if it works for someone else, good for them!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm trying the baking soda/apple cider vinegar thing again. I have psoriasis that gets extra-aggravated by SLS and only slightly less so from the shampoos that are SLS-free, natural, organic, etc.

I've marked two weeks on my calendar (2/9/10) to see if there is any kind of marked improvement and am trying to uses a boar bristle brush frequently to redistribute the natural oils. So far my scalp does seem less irritated and my hair is just a bit oilier than usual -- I clean it every few days like I did before.

If I can remember, I'll post an update with my results when the two weeks are up.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Dr. Bronner's Magic soap - used as a shampoo, it's perfect for the scalp: SLS-free, organic, and biodegradable.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Seriously? That stuff takes the hide right off of me. I can't imagine what it would do to hair! I use it to clean the kitchen with.

Have you used it on your hair?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

It's meant to be used as a body cleanser. (Not just Dr. Bronner's, but castille soap in general.) It works wonders for me as shampoo. I have fine hair that tends to get oily after a day or two, so I only wash every other day. So far it's kept my hair balanced and kept it from getting oily, in contrast to SLS/detergent-based shampoos that strip my scalp of oils and stimulate oil overproduction.

I highly recommend it as a replacement for detergent-based commercial soaps and shampoos.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My two week experiment is at an end. I'm satisfied with the baking soda/apple cider vinegar routine.

My hair feels and looks about the same as it does when I use shampoo and my skin is not cured, but a bit improved.

The process I've been using is to wet my hair and scrub my scalp with baking soda, then rinse the baking soda out with water, rinse with diluted ACV, then rinse again with water.

My hair is fine and color-treated with average oiliness and I need to 'wash' it every two or three days to keep it looking clean with this method. Not unreasonable.

It is as good or better than the SLS shampoos and a very great deal cheaper.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I don't use shampoo often but I do rinse my hair pretty well in the morning. It's about all I can do to keep it from being an embarassment without spending my money on all kinds of conditioners and other hair crap. I only wash before I'm going to cut it and I have yet to run into the problems of feeling oily (I'm a guy though...).
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just checking in here- I bought a bottle of WEN and I LOVE IT. They should call it WIN!

I used Dr. Bronner's on my hair for a month or so last year and it was awful. I could have made dreads by the end of it. It was SUCH a relief to finally wash it for real. I still use Bronner's for pretty much everything else (the almond is quite gentle IMO) but I can't wash my hair with it. It seems to work fine on my kids' hair, though.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The thing is that you're trying to keep 'cones out of your hair. The theory is that silicones, dimethicones, and all the other stuff in shampoo and conditioner that makes your hair so shiny and silky is actually not nourishing your hair at all; in fact, it is keeping it coated so the hair can't receive any moisture at all -- so when you wash with a clarifying shampoo like neutrogena, your head looks like the business end of a broom.
    Hahah that made me laugh. Having very straight and fine hair, I don't have that problem, but if I could reduce the number of times a week I shampoo, I think it would be good for my hair - my ends get very dry and prone to split ends, and I don't like cutting my hair more than I absolutely have to. The scalp area gets very oily, though, so I feel like I need to shampoo every day. Meh.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/