User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Shampoo free?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I used to be an every day hair washer. However, I have a very dry scalp and my curly hair also tends to be really dry, resulting in chopping a lot of hair off every time I see the hairdresser. I am down to washing my hair about three times a week, and while it's helped, winter here is extremely dry and despite using conditioning treatments etc, it hasn't fixed it. I've read stuff a number of curly haired people have written about the big improvement that not using shampoo has made. I decided (gingerly) to try it. I still use conditioner, as I wear hair gel and need something to clean off the residue. I even cheated and used a small bit of face cleanser that's more gentle than shampoo, but alas, my hair felt oily. I haven't tried vinegar at all. I don't really like the idea of baking soda. I might check out the stuff that Tallulah is talking about. Where do you get it?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Yeah, you might want to try the Curly Girl method
    How to Follow the Curly Girl Method for Curly Hair (with video) - wikiHow.

DevaCurl products fit the requirements for this general philosophy of washing your hair very gently and avoiding certain chemicals.

That's funny Tilty! I actually read that article just before doing this thing and I followed their directions. I've never tried DevaCurt products though. What do you think of them?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I watched reviews on the Wen thing Tall was talking about.. it seems that the Hair One stuff from Sally's is hella cheaper, and seems to work just about the same way, but if that Curly Girl website is correct, any conditioner will do, essentially, the same thing that both of those products do.. so..

I can say that on my dogs I use the shampoo bars from the site I gave, and it's the only thing gentle enough for their skin.. If you have sensitive skin, mayhap it's reacting by drying out? Im not an expert on hair, by any means..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I used to be an every day hair washer. However, I have a very dry scalp and my curly hair also tends to be really dry, resulting in chopping a lot of hair off every time I see the hairdresser. I am down to washing my hair about three times a week, and while it's helped, winter here is extremely dry and despite using conditioning treatments etc, it hasn't fixed it. I've read stuff a number of curly haired people have written about the big improvement that not using shampoo has made. I decided (gingerly) to try it. I still use conditioner, as I wear hair gel and need something to clean off the residue. I even cheated and used a small bit of face cleanser that's more gentle than shampoo, but alas, my hair felt oily. I haven't tried vinegar at all. I don't really like the idea of baking soda. I might check out the stuff that Tallulah is talking about. Where do you get it?
    (1) What if you just used shampoo + conditioner on your hair, while hanging your head so your hair falls down toward the ground, and your scalp is the never contacted with the shampoo + conditioner? That seems to me the only way to prevent the scalp from getting unecessarily exposed to drying agents.

(2) This might be moot, but I'll mention it anyway. Whether you use shampoo/conditioner or not, its still a great idea to MASSAGE your scalp with your fingers and just water. That way you keep the bloodflow to your scalp in good shape. If you don't shajnpoo, and don't massage, then you are decreasing the amount of chemicals that might dry your scalp, BUT decreasing your circulation. Does that make sense? I massage the hell out of my scalp everyday, because I am thankful I have a full head of hair, and am doing all I can to keep it. I use shampoo + conditioner daily as I have oily skin, so I am lucky in that regard I guess.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I also saw a tip from somewhere about massaging like.. regular unscented sensitive-skin body lotion into the scalp like 20 minutes before a shower to help with dryness of the scalp. I think it was on a get-rid-of-dandruff thing.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I also saw a tip from somewhere about massaging like.. regular unscented sensitive-skin body lotion into the scalp like 20 minutes before a shower to help with dryness of the scalp. I think it was on a get-rid-of-dandruff thing.
    That sounds legit enough. It certainly wouldn't be fatal!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It can't be any worse than SHAMPOO.. Gawd, watching the WEN commercial made it sound like shampoo was akin to that of rabid bears infected with the T-virus and brainwashed with the sole purpose of destroying the shiny, volumptuous parts of a woman's hair in a convenient bottle of destruction.

If I ever go to war again, I'm arming myself with shampoo. "What?! You want to car bomb me?! Well fuck off, I have Shampoo!!" and they'll be all 'Noo!! My beard is so luxurious and shiny! Lets get the hell out of here!' Im pretty sure I heard the commercial blame shampoo for WW1, acne, Haiti, and car sickness too.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I might try this no shampoo business. One less thing to buy. But my head gets itchy if I don't shower every day, though I don't have a problem with dandruff. Will my scalp get used to it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

The thing is that you're trying to keep 'cones out of your hair. The theory is that silicones, dimethicones, and all the other stuff in shampoo and conditioner that makes your hair so shiny and silky is actually not nourishing your hair at all; in fact, it is keeping it coated so the hair can't receive any moisture at all -- so when you wash with a clarifying shampoo like neutrogena, your head looks like the business end of a broom. Whereas if you don't use products with silicones, your hair will find its own equilibrium and will begin to shine and behave on its own.

Devacurl has superlative products, they really do. Unfortunately, I am allergic to one of their ingredients (I think it may be the wheat) and I ended up with an itchy head. But my hair never looked better.

I've cut it all back off, though, it's just so much easier. Back to my default short hair.

MBTI
    INTP

Hey, fidelia--you can get WEN products through their site (but they'll set up auto-delivery). You can also order them through QVC. I like the sweet almond mint kind. It's called WEN by Chaz Dean.

Tilty--I've just spent the last two days reading the Naturally Curly forums, thanks to you! I'm going to try doing their curl methods on my wavy hair.
    Something Witty