• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Diet & tips for mental work?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What kind of a diet would give the best nutrition for heavy, extended mental work? I've thought I would have to eat slow carbs a lot during the day, caffeine in moderate amounts, and to avoid food that makes one tired. This means, no meat+potato combination, avoiding animal fat, sugar.

I'm interested of other factors as well. Motivation is extremely important, but one can self-motivate if there is something to motivate about. Often a lack of motivation to something is a good clue to the fact that the job in question shouldn't really be done in the first place, at least for me.

I sometimes use what I think of as a P-style workflow as well. At least, it's my P-style of work. I might drink moderately, and alternate playing games and doing the work. I need it for some kinds of tasks where good mood and creativity is paramount, like evaluating some graphics.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think really good sleep is very important, also some breaks with human interaction, if you're an extravert especially.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, INTJ speak of a "curse" for someone to need people, I have some of that. Then again, people are readily available, so it's not that much of an impediment. But yes.

I might add a walk outside on a sunny day to the list of tips.

Fecal McAngry

What kind of a diet would give the best nutrition for heavy, extended mental work? I've thought I would have to eat slow carbs a lot during the day, caffeine in moderate amounts, and to avoid food that makes one tired. This means, no meat+potato combination, avoiding animal fat, sugar.

I'm interested of other factors as well. Motivation is extremely important, but one can self-motivate if there is something to motivate about. Often a lack of motivation to something is a good clue to the fact that the job in question shouldn't really be done in the first place, at least for me.

I sometimes use what I think of as a P-style workflow as well. At least, it's my P-style of work. I might drink moderately, and alternate playing games and doing the work. I need it for some kinds of tasks where good mood and creativity is paramount, like evaluating some graphics.

High protein esp. animal protein, high fat esp. saturated animal fat, moderate to very low carb depending on metabolism.

Some books:

Amazon.com: The Brain Trust Program: A Scientifically Based Three-Part Plan to Improve Memory, Elevate Mood, EnhanceAttention, Alleviate Migraine and Menopausal Symptoms, and Boost Mental (9780399534546): Larry McCleary: Books

Amazon.com: The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today (9780142003640): Julia Ross: Books

Amazon.com: The Diet Cure (9780140286526): Julia Ross: Books

Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (9780982207703): Mark Sisson: Books

Amazon.com: The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability (9781604860801): Lierre Keith: Books

Ally9224

As far as diet goes, I would say eat as much real food as you can. Avoid foods with additives, preservatives, HFCS, enriched or refined grains, processed and fast food. All of that stuff will bog you down. Instead go for nutrient rich foods like whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables.

cathleen

Permabanned
1. Build Confidence

Identify your abilities and weaknesses together, accept them build on them and do the best with what you have.

2. Eat right, Keep fit

A balanced diet, exercise and rest can help you to reduce stress and enjoy life.

3. Make Time for Family and Friends

These relationships need to be nurtured; if taken for granted they will not be there to share life's joys and sorrows.

4. Give and Accept Support

Friends and family relationships thrive when they are "put to the test".

5. Create a Meaningful Budget

Financial problems cause stress. Over-spending on our "wants" instead of our "needs" is often the culprit.