• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Experiences with antidepressants

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm wondering what other TypeC members have experienced with antidepressants. I was in a major depression for 6 years from 14-20. For the last 3 years, I've tried to readjust to a normal life, but it's been very difficult. I've recently started therapy in the last 2 weeks.

My physician also put me on Paxil 10mg a day for a week and then 20mg a day after that over a month ago. Within 2 days, I noticed a difficulty having orgasms. A week later, I noticed myself feeling happier in general, I wanted to be around people and I found myself wanting to talk to people a lot. I began getting a lot more warm fuzzy happy feelings triggered by the smallest things. After 2 weeks, orgasms were impossible. So, I saw my doctor at the 3 week point.

He tapered me off Paxil for a week and then put me on 37.5mg of Effexor once a day. The general happy feeling is for the most part gone, and I feel depressed again. I've been on the Effexor for 11 days now. The warm fuzzy feelings happen 2-3 times a day rather than pretty much all day. I see my doctor again Tuesday.

I know antidepressants take 4+ weeks to take effect, but I miss the happy feeling of Paxil and I'm wondering what's wrong with Effexor. What have others experienced? I took 80mg of Paxil during my major depression 5 years ago, which helped me get out of it. It's just that I don't like taking the Paxil at the cost of orgasms.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've tried Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Buspar, Lamictal, Risperidone, Seroquel, Lithium, and Cymbalta, all in order to try and treat my depression. I'm not sexually active, so I can't really relate your experiences to mine in that way. I have been on anti-depressants/anti-psychotics since I was twelve though, and throughout my entire adolescence I have never had strong sexual impulses. I'm fairly certain that's abnormal.

It's a give and take sort of thing with antidepressants. It all depends on how much you want to sacrifice for your "happiness." When I was on Lithium I had to get blood drawn once I month. I couldn't sleep, I was always so hyped up. I even broke out in hives, and they didn't discontinue it. When I was on Risperidone I always felt sort of tired-drunk. I couldn't think, and I couldn't remember things people had said or I had done just seconds ago. Both of those medications made me happier. But it wasn't worth it. It really wasn't.

It's likely that there's nothing wrong with the Effexor you're taking, especially if you're lucky enough to be experiencing "fuzzy feelings" 2-3 times a day on it without side effects. You have to decide what you're willing to give up in order to "gain," if you think the gain is worth it, that is.

Fecal McAngry

I'm wondering what other TypeC members have experienced with antidepressants. I was in a major depression for 6 years from 14-20. For the last 3 years, I've tried to readjust to a normal life, but it's been very difficult. I've recently started therapy in the last 2 weeks.

My physician also put me on Paxil 10mg a day for a week and then 20mg a day after that over a month ago. Within 2 days, I noticed a difficulty having orgasms. A week later, I noticed myself feeling happier in general, I wanted to be around people and I found myself wanting to talk to people a lot. I began getting a lot more warm fuzzy happy feelings triggered by the smallest things. After 2 weeks, orgasms were impossible. So, I saw my doctor at the 3 week point.

He tapered me off Paxil for a week and then put me on 37.5mg of Effexor once a day. The general happy feeling is for the most part gone, and I feel depressed again. I've been on the Effexor for 11 days now. The warm fuzzy feelings happen 2-3 times a day rather than pretty much all day. I see my doctor again Tuesday.

I know antidepressants take 4+ weeks to take effect, but I miss the happy feeling of Paxil and I'm wondering what's wrong with Effexor. What have others experienced? I took 80mg of Paxil during my major depression 5 years ago, which helped me get out of it. It's just that I don't like taking the Paxil at the cost of orgasms.

I'd rather focus on you than me. Questions:

1) Is your main problem with Paxil the lack of orgasms?
2) Have you taken any ADs aside from Paxil and Effexor?
3) Why did your doctor move you from 10mgs of Paxil/day to 20?
4) Are you taking anything other than an Rx AD to help with depression?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'd rather focus on you than me. Questions:

1) Is your main problem with Paxil the lack of orgasms?
2) Have you taken any ADs aside from Paxil and Effexor?
3) Why did your doctor move you from 10mgs of Paxil/day to 20?
4) Are you taking anything other than an Rx AD to help with depression?

1) Yes. Everything about Paxil was wonderful except for the orgasm problem. I feel as if I have a strong sex drive and not being able to relieve myself through masturbation is in itself depressing. If I have no other choice with the meds, then I have no other choice.

2) No.

3) His goal was apparently 20mg/day. He started me at 10mg/day for a week then the 20mg/day.

4) All I'm doing right now is taking antidepressants and receiving therapy once a week.

My family is extremely concerned about me being on Effexor right now. They feel I'm much more depressed while on it and we're seeking to switch when I see the doctor Tuesday. Right now, I feel like crap and it seems like every hour is hard because I'm constantly overanalyzing everything.

Fecal McAngry

1) Yes. Everything about Paxil was wonderful except for the orgasm problem. I feel as if I have a strong sex drive and not being able to relieve myself through masturbation is in itself depressing. If I have no other choice with the meds, then I have no other choice.

2) No.

3) His goal was apparently 20mg/day. He started me at 10mg/day for a week then the 20mg/day.

4) All I'm doing right now is taking antidepressants and receiving therapy once a week.

My family is extremely concerned about me being on Effexor right now. They feel I'm much more depressed while on it and we're seeking to switch when I see the doctor Tuesday. Right now, I feel like crap and it seems like every hour is hard because I'm constantly overanalyzing everything.

Okay.
Paxil is an SSRI. Effexor is an SNRI. Basically (very crudely), SSRIs boost the effect of serotonin on brain function, and SNRIs boost both serotonin and norepinephrine. Norepinephrine is a stimulatory neurotransmitter, serotonin is both stimulatory and inhibitory, but with SSRIs it is generally the inhibitory effects of serotonin which dominate.

So. We can tentatively conclude that you respond well to serotonin boosting drugs (SSRIs) and poorly to norepineprine-boosting drugs such as Effexor or Wellbutrin (An NDRI--norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor).

My advice:

First, slowly taper off Effexor. The withdrawal effects can be nasty, but you haven't been on it for very long, so it probably won't be that bad.

While you are tapering off Effexor, begin taking 1) a purified fish oil supplement which provides you with @ 3g/day of EPA+DHA (usually 1/3-1/2 of fish oil is EPA+DHA, read labels) and 2) An oil based gelcap form of vitamin D3 in the dosage of 5000IU per day. The antidepressant effects of both are considerable, as are the other heath benefits, so you may be able to use lower a lower dose of an SSRI than you'd otherwise need.

After you have been off Effexor for a week, start taking an SSRI again.

Two possible choices:

1) Paxil at a low dose--5-10mgs per day for a month; monitoring how you feel (if you feel good at a low dose, don't increase).

OR

1) Another SSRI. My suggestion would be that you try Lexapro at a low dose(5-10mgs), with the same advice as above. Lexapro is the SSRI with the lowest incidence of side effect, esp. sexual side effects, although this is only true statistically and may not be true for you.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Are people going around buying prescriptions of antidepressants that freely or are you including invisible consultations with my doctor in your post? No offense to you, but even if I were allowed to purchase any antidepressant I wanted, I would do it with a doctor's advice, not my own, or someone on the internet. I just like doing the research so I know what I'm getting into.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Are people going around buying prescriptions of antidepressants that freely or are you including invisible consultations with my doctor in your post? No offense to you, but even if I were allowed to purchase any antidepressant I wanted, I would do it with a doctor's advice, not my own, or someone on the internet. I just like doing the research so I know what I'm getting into.

Well, EPA/Vitamin D are freely available, they're not meds...

Fecal McAngry

Well, EPA/Vitamin D are freely available, they're not meds...
Antidepressants are almost as easy to obtain as fish oil and D3.

As for doctors...

Having dealt with many in the past few years, I can state with confidence that medicine remains more art than science. Which is another way of saying that there are good doctors and bad doctors...and in my experience, good doctors are relatively rare, and you need to hunt them down most of the time. You may stumble across one by chance, but the odds are against you...

It's very important to remember that you are in charge of your health care, and that doctors are your employees.

If they suck, move on. Find better ones.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
My doctor told me he wasn't giving up on the Effexor so quickly. He said to double the dosage from 37.5mg to 75mg for 5 days. If there's no improvement or side effects, double again to 150mg and follow up 2 weeks from today. I'll see how this goes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Others have offered their advice, so I'll just offer my personal experience.

1. I was on Wellbutrin (200mg) for years and it did bump up my energy without real side effects for me. Some people don't respond well to it, but I did. (Diagnosed with general depression and anxiety.) But it did not remove all of my depression and anxiety, it just took the edge off.

2. I've heard from male friends that Paxil and other ADs can make it really hard to reach orgasm. My BF is on it too and, well... let's just say that seems to be correct, as far as I can tell. I can imagine that might be frustrating as a side effect.

3. I was on Effexor for a few months and hated it. It just didn't seem to do anything and for some reason I just wanted off it. (It was a weird feeling -- I cannot describe WHY I wanted off or give any description of specific things it did to me... I just... wanted off.)

I tried to wean myself off twice. I would drop my dose to the lowest dose first, then go off completely. The first time I gave up after a week because I couldn't think straight anymore, my head felt stuffed with cotton. I tried again a few months later and then stuck it out... it took me six weeks before the cotton-headedness went completely away; meanwhile I was having to struggle through tech work daily... not a fun experience.

i would stay the hell away from that drug, simply because of that part. I do not like the thought of something messing you up that badly that you can't easily stop taking it.

...It's very important to remember that you are in charge of your health care, and that doctors are your employees.

If they suck, move on. Find better ones.

Definitely.

I think it's prudent for one to listen to people with experience and training, true... but ultimately your health care is about you. You can't expect another person to always have your best interests in mind or truly grasp what your experience has been. It's better to be proactive and take charge of your own treatment.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I was on, at different times around the age of 17, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin because of various issues with anxiety and insomnia. I hated them, especially Prozac. In hindsight I think the problems came about because some circumstances led to me not being able to lift weights on a regular basis, combined with a horrid diet. Not once did the physician ask me about my lifestyle and my parents were the trust-all-authority-figures types.

KDude

I was on Zoloft in my late-teens, early 20's.. It just turned me into some kind of fatass Spock, so I quit. No affect, no motivation.

Before that, I was given Paxil, but I got a lot of bothersome "tensity" from it.. I was clinching my jaw a lot, kind of involuntarily flexing my muscles a lot.. Couldn't operate at all.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Do not fight depression.
It has a purpose.

If you do not fight depression, it will cease.
If you fight it, you are stuck.

Do not use drugs.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Do not fight depression.
It has a purpose.

If you do not fight depression, it will cease.
If you fight it, you are stuck.

Do not use drugs.

Profound thought without elaboration. Is this how INTPs operate?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Well, damn it. 4th day on 75mg of Effexor and the orgasm issues are back. I feel my mood lifting, though. GRR! I see my doctor in 2 weeks.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Profound thought without elaboration. Is this how INTPs operate?

Yes.

The way I think of it, I'm miserable, not depressed. I'm not doing any of the things I want in life, so there'd be something wrong with me if I were happy.

However, I've been following this thread partly in order to give those who've had positive experiences with antidepressants a chance to change my mind.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
They are like trying to quit smoking or eating sugar. You put patches on your arm to ween off of smokes to crumble and return to smoking. You try to go sugar free only to realise everything has sugar. Anti depressants are the same you try to ween off of them and somehow start taking them up again. Why, simple, in both instances anti depressants and smoking and or sugar aren't the solution just patches to a larger problem.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I went to my school's mental health clinic to get treated for depression (and I had been diagnosed/on different meds since I was 10) for the first time as an adult. I talked to the psychologist, who was going to refer me to a psychiatrist to get treatment using my school's insurance. I did my consultation with him, really opening up for the first time, and ended up getting a rather thorough CPS investigation opened on my household. It got very bad.

I went off my meds for years because I couldn't make myself go back to that clinic or share any more about my experiences for fear of what would happen. I lost those years completely: I didn't even know who I was. I hadn't been going to therapy regularly before; it was the meds that made the bulk of the difference. When my brother turned 18 this spring, I went back to therapy and back on medication. While the therapy is important to long term issues, I can tell you from experience that anti-depressants can make a huge impact on day to day functioning. You need to have a handle on the latter first to deal effectively with the former. If you can't function on a daily basis, there's no way you can tackle bigger issues.

I'm not saying that meds are for everyone, but they were and are very necessary for me. The popular lay opinion that focuses on pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting your shit together is not always helpful or particularly insightful.