User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Others have offered their advice, so I'll just offer my personal experience.

1. I was on Wellbutrin (200mg) for years and it did bump up my energy without real side effects for me. Some people don't respond well to it, but I did. (Diagnosed with general depression and anxiety.) But it did not remove all of my depression and anxiety, it just took the edge off.

2. I've heard from male friends that Paxil and other ADs can make it really hard to reach orgasm. My BF is on it too and, well... let's just say that seems to be correct, as far as I can tell. I can imagine that might be frustrating as a side effect.

3. I was on Effexor for a few months and hated it. It just didn't seem to do anything and for some reason I just wanted off it. (It was a weird feeling -- I cannot describe WHY I wanted off or give any description of specific things it did to me... I just... wanted off.)

I tried to wean myself off twice. I would drop my dose to the lowest dose first, then go off completely. The first time I gave up after a week because I couldn't think straight anymore, my head felt stuffed with cotton. I tried again a few months later and then stuck it out... it took me six weeks before the cotton-headedness went completely away; meanwhile I was having to struggle through tech work daily... not a fun experience.

i would stay the hell away from that drug, simply because of that part. I do not like the thought of something messing you up that badly that you can't easily stop taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    ...It's very important to remember that you are in charge of your health care, and that doctors are your employees.

If they suck, move on. Find better ones.
    Definitely.

I think it's prudent for one to listen to people with experience and training, true... but ultimately your health care is about you. You can't expect another person to always have your best interests in mind or truly grasp what your experience has been. It's better to be proactive and take charge of your own treatment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I was on, at different times around the age of 17, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin because of various issues with anxiety and insomnia. I hated them, especially Prozac. In hindsight I think the problems came about because some circumstances led to me not being able to lift weights on a regular basis, combined with a horrid diet. Not once did the physician ask me about my lifestyle and my parents were the trust-all-authority-figures types.

MBTI
    istj
    Enneagram

Wellbutrin. It doesn't have sexual side effects.

I was on Zoloft in my late-teens, early 20's.. It just turned me into some kind of fatass Spock, so I quit. No affect, no motivation.

Before that, I was given Paxil, but I got a lot of bothersome "tensity" from it.. I was clinching my jaw a lot, kind of involuntarily flexing my muscles a lot.. Couldn't operate at all.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I'm wondering what other TypeC members have experienced with antidepressants. I was in a major depression for 6 years from 14-20. For the last 3 years, I've tried to readjust to a normal life, but it's been very difficult. I've recently started therapy in the last 2 weeks.

My physician also put me on Paxil 10mg a day for a week and then 20mg a day after that over a month ago. Within 2 days, I noticed a difficulty having orgasms. A week later, I noticed myself feeling happier in general, I wanted to be around people and I found myself wanting to talk to people a lot. I began getting a lot more warm fuzzy happy feelings triggered by the smallest things. After 2 weeks, orgasms were impossible. So, I saw my doctor at the 3 week point.

He tapered me off Paxil for a week and then put me on 37.5mg of Effexor once a day. The general happy feeling is for the most part gone, and I feel depressed again. I've been on the Effexor for 11 days now. The warm fuzzy feelings happen 2-3 times a day rather than pretty much all day. I see my doctor again Tuesday.

I know antidepressants take 4+ weeks to take effect, but I miss the happy feeling of Paxil and I'm wondering what's wrong with Effexor. What have others experienced? I took 80mg of Paxil during my major depression 5 years ago, which helped me get out of it. It's just that I don't like taking the Paxil at the cost of orgasms.
    Do not fight depression.
    It has a purpose.

If you do not fight depression, it will cease.
    If you fight it, you are stuck.

Do not use drugs.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Do not fight depression.
    It has a purpose.

If you do not fight depression, it will cease.
    If you fight it, you are stuck.

Do not use drugs.
    Profound thought without elaboration. Is this how INTPs operate?

MBTI
    LoLz

Well, damn it. 4th day on 75mg of Effexor and the orgasm issues are back. I feel my mood lifting, though. GRR! I see my doctor in 2 weeks.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Profound thought without elaboration. Is this how INTPs operate?
    Yes.

The way I think of it, I'm miserable, not depressed. I'm not doing any of the things I want in life, so there'd be something wrong with me if I were happy.

However, I've been following this thread partly in order to give those who've had positive experiences with antidepressants a chance to change my mind.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

They are like trying to quit smoking or eating sugar. You put patches on your arm to ween off of smokes to crumble and return to smoking. You try to go sugar free only to realise everything has sugar. Anti depressants are the same you try to ween off of them and somehow start taking them up again. Why, simple, in both instances anti depressants and smoking and or sugar aren't the solution just patches to a larger problem.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I went to my school's mental health clinic to get treated for depression (and I had been diagnosed/on different meds since I was 10) for the first time as an adult. I talked to the psychologist, who was going to refer me to a psychiatrist to get treatment using my school's insurance. I did my consultation with him, really opening up for the first time, and ended up getting a rather thorough CPS investigation opened on my household. It got very bad.

I went off my meds for years because I couldn't make myself go back to that clinic or share any more about my experiences for fear of what would happen. I lost those years completely: I didn't even know who I was. I hadn't been going to therapy regularly before; it was the meds that made the bulk of the difference. When my brother turned 18 this spring, I went back to therapy and back on medication. While the therapy is important to long term issues, I can tell you from experience that anti-depressants can make a huge impact on day to day functioning. You need to have a handle on the latter first to deal effectively with the former. If you can't function on a daily basis, there's no way you can tackle bigger issues.

I'm not saying that meds are for everyone, but they were and are very necessary for me. The popular lay opinion that focuses on pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting your shit together is not always helpful or particularly insightful.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

cataplum!