• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Morning people and Night people

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm a night person and find it very difficult to adapt to other hours.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a morning person, but not really extreme. I like to wake up at 7 (even on weekends).

Definitely a night person. It sucks that we have this 9 to 5 society. Cause it's at night that I have most energy and want to do all my shopping/work/school etc.

Uhh, it sucks for morning people, too. Because your free time is the time of the day when you're most exhausted.

Kimchitasi

MBTI Type
N
Enneagram
I prefer mornings as I like to to be out in the world while everyone is still asleep. And it is nice to come home before rush hour. I also like the feeling of rising with the sun, it is nice. With that in mind, I do enjoy nights and I miss going out when I have to go to bed early for a job.

S

Sniffles

Morning person usually, although I also am a night owl as well. Generally late night and early morning are my favorite times of the day. So peaceful, quiet, and moves at a slower pace.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
too bad there is no pole for this.

6pm-5:30am is when Im at my best(when people are returning home to their families and getting ready for bed or sleeping). I used to tell myself it was something that would change with age or I would adapt. I have issues with adapting to a morning schedule even if i am routine.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when I was a kid i was a night person now as an adult i'm morning person I wake up between 6-7 no matter what time i go to bed

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am literally nocturnal.

Left to my own devices, I won't go to bed until 9 or 10 in the morning. But I don't allow myself to do that, because I feel disgusting, even if I'm just as productive on my own schedule.

I really hate that you can't call anyone, run errands, or eat anywhere during my prime hours. Even the bars close at 2AM in some places. This world was built for morning people. So jealous.

Thank god I work for myself.

P.S. You can't change it either - if you're born a hardcore night owl like me, you're doomed for life. You end up working at 20% capacity because you're forced to operate when your body WANTS to sleep, and vice versa! When you're full of energy, it's impossible to get anything done. What a waste of potential productivity.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think that this is trainable!
For two years I had to wake up at 6 AM everyday and although I went to bed at 11PM or earlier, I never ever got used to this. It terrorized me to such an extent that I was anxious for week-ends and holidays not for the free time but because I didn't have to wake up early.:cry:

Actually for some people it isn't trainable. In a book I recently read on brain function and differences in people (Brain Rules - a layman's book, but good summary, and there was a chapter on sleep), it cited that about 10% of the population is basically *wired* to be night owls, another 10-15% *wired* to be early morning people, and everyone else falls somewhere else along the spectrum - just not extreme on either end.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Still find it weird that there's an apparent dichotomy and most people seem to be strongly one or the other. I don't think you could call me a morning person or a night person - my strong preference is sleep around midnight and wake around 8am. I don't like staying up much later than that or getting up earlier. :shrug:

Unique

Night

I tend to wake about 11am with little energy, several coffees later and I pull into what a morning person probably considers "normal" then once night hits my energy level sores and I have trouble sleeping (with or without the coffee)

Once I crash I'm very hard to wake and need a lot of sleep

gromit

likes this
Still find it weird that there's an apparent dichotomy and most people seem to be strongly one or the other. I don't think you could call me a morning person or a night person - my strong preference is sleep around midnight and wake around 8am. I don't like staying up much later than that or getting up earlier. :shrug:

Yeah I'm pretty much exactly the same way!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm both! Definately.
This can cause problems...

I am best suited to the med style of sleeping

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I naturally fall into the habit of being up late into the night, and this is usually when I am the most productive. However, I have recently started (2 months ago) a health and wellness program of my own design which incorporates proper nutrition, exercise, stress reduction (yoga, hot tub), and proper sleeping habits. As a result, I have been going to sleep between 11pm and 1230pm most every night, and waking up naturally at around 8.

I must admit, although I rather enjoyed what I accomplished from being up at night, I much prefer how I feel during the day when I get a proper night's sleep.

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
As I sit here writing this at 3:17AM, I have to say I'm a night/early morning type of gal.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i'm morning and night. i just like being up.
ever since i changed to sleeping once a day
my energy hasn't been the same, i can't
stay up as late, and feel groggy if i wake
up too early.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm wondering if it's better to sleep twice for 4 hours each day than once for 8 hours. Does anybody have experience with this?

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
I'm undoubtedly a morning person.
My internal clock is wound to wake anywhere from 7-8am, and I start to fall asleep or pass out completely around 11-12pm. Lately things have been a bit sticky, if you've seen my post on sleeping troubles, but generally that's how things go :)

@Hatter, I would assume that sleeping the full 8hrs is 'better' as your body has a chance to get into a deeper, more relaxed state for longer rather than two brief stints throughout the day. But that's my two cents and I'm not a doctor :) Let us know if you find out.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apparently, two sleeps is our natural pattern. Like the whole siesta thing.
Also I read some thing about during winter when people used to go to bed at sunset, they'd have basically two sleeps too, getting up for a few hours in the night, or least experiencing wakefulness.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
If I get up at or before 8, the day feels SO LONG. Even though I end up staying up just as long as a nightowl, the interminable, boring morning hours just kill me.