• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crazy High-Calorie Burning Excercises -- Suggestions Please

MBTI Type
ENTP
This hasn't been posted on in awhile, but I'll throw in m two cents.

Running is the easiest way to get your body fired up. It's a harder workout than almost any other activity. 800 calories for an hour and a half of yoga? I burn 800 calories running for 40 minutes. Less than half the time required.

Of course, running for 40 minutes is harder than yoga, so....

And the only equipment you need is a pair of running shoes.

That's my favorite method. I lost over 100 pounds through diet, running, and weight lifting.

I agree... yoga-aasanas and praNayama were meant to strengthen, tone, and most of all loosen up the body... they completely revolutionize your body, but they have to be done consistently for at least six months to a year for you to realize that you've changed.

I'd like to add, though, as a purist: yoga is not supposed to be hard... in fact, it's supposed to be easy and meditative... though I would think doing some of the new-fangled "yoga" styles, like Bikram Yoga (where you go into a room heated to over a hundred degrees and essentially do massive amounts of stretching) would burn shitloads of calories...

Running... swimming... cycling... these are 'sports' which will make you lose weight and tone up quickly.

attilla the honey

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Try P90X. Amazingly tough and hard to do. 12 different workouts x 1 hour each. The plyometrics made my 17 year old super fit teenage boy throw up (he was crawling on the ground after the arms and chest workout).

Go to for more info. Cathe Friedrich has some hard hard dvd's as well.

Usehername

On a mission
Indoor cycling, spinning (or whatever they wish to call it) can burn up to 900 calories in an hour depending how far you push yourself.

I also don't recommend doing this more than three times in a week as I injured my foot running, but I believe that clipping (cycling shoes) in to the bike created a weakness in my foot which lead to my injury. I can't work out until the inflammation in my heal goes away so I have been pretty bummed out.

Anyway give it a try! :D

What sort of pedals are you using for clipping in? (the 2 holed horizontal shoes for SPD/eggbeaters/, or the triangular 3-holed LOOK or the other brand similar ones i.e. the larger road cleats)

SPD you're locked in so your legs can't naturally float around in the pedal revolution; this can lead to injury. But LOOK pedals have varying degrees of float that you can adjust based off of the cleat shim you add (3 options, from no float to 9 degrees float) and eggbeaters vary up to something ridiculous up to like 25 degrees float before you clip out.

Cycling is supposed to be a non-impact sport; if you're getting injuries and not pushing yourself ridiculously hard, there's always ways to adjust your equipment for an enjoyable ride. :)

(I currently ride with SPD because I bought the shoes not knowing what kind of riding I'd end up interested in; I'm sticking with road so I will likely buy road shoes and pedals sometime this year with my ridiculous LBS discount. I love my job.)

---

BTW, cycling is great because it's one of the few outdoor activities you can measure your progress with. Buy a little cyclocomputer for $24.99 CDN (I'm sure it's cheaper in teh USA) and chart your progress.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Running around the city without using public transportation, dancing and standing in high heels, and just chatting/socializing with multiple peopel honest to goodness burns a lot of calories.

I know when I visited my friend in Bezerkely, all we did we eat, shop, and party and I lost 2 pounds over the weekend.

I had 1 1/2 caramel fudge sundaes and fried cheese at 11:00 pm at night with a glass of red wine. That's how I was splurging. So if I lost 2 pounds, I think that's saying something.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Running around the city without using public transportation, dancing and standing in high heels, and just chatting/socializing with multiple peopel honest to goodness burns a lot of calories.

I know when I visited my friend in Bezerkely, all we did we eat, shop, and party and I lost 2 pounds over the weekend.

I had 1 1/2 caramel fudge sundaes and fried cheese at 11:00 pm at night with a glass of red wine. That's how I was splurging. So if I lost 2 pounds, I think that's saying something.

I think that is a definite argument for partying more often!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:;)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
sprinting burns much more fat then long distance running or anything else for that matter

O

Oberon

Running intervals is far and away the most effective (and most taxing) workout I've ever done.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
oh and sprinting raises test levels...naturally of course

higher test levels = less fat + more muscle

in general ^

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The set point of a persons shape is what makes diet and exercise fluctuate you know.

Your body is biologically and genetically determined to weigh within a certain weight range. When you go below your body's natural set point, your metabolism will react and start to slow down to try and conserve energy. Your body will start to sense it's in a state of semi-starvation and will try to use the few calories it receives more effectively. Just as your metabolism will slow down when you go under your body's set point, it will also increase if you go above it. The body will try to fight against the weight gain by increasing the metabolism and raising the body's temperature to try and burn off the unwanted calories.

Set points vary for each individual person. That is why it's not a good idea to go by the weight charts that you see in medical books or hanging in your doctor's office. For instance, a woman at a height of 5'5" with a small frame may have a set point range between 120-130 lbs, but another woman with the same frame may have a set point range between 130-140 lbs. Their set points may be different, but that is the weight range where their bodies will fight to maintain.

The more you try to go below your body's set point range, the harder your body will fight to retain it's natural weight. Engaging in a healthy eating and exercise routine, will allow your body to go to the weight it wants and needs to be at.

Basically the set point of a person is the homeostasis status quo set by the hypothalamus.

Of course there is a fine line here, when your body learns a new set point after years of being a certain shape, this is then maintained and hard to adjust. Having been 84-100kg myself since forever I know how foods affect a person according to metabolic type. I've been 75kg for a few years, all it took was clearing my lymphatic system and eating foods that are healthy for my body. I'm still exercise aversive which is something I have to start more of because muscles do burn the calories only to demand you eat more food.

Wasn't so much crazy high-calorie burning ideas as set point theory, but then crazy high-calorie ideas can't be good for you because they are crazy to maintain. :D
I feel tired just by thinking about it.

wolfy

awsm
Tabata 20 seconds on 10 seconds off times 8. Total 4 minutes. The video is squats but you can sprint/walk etc. It's wise to warm up 5 min and cool down another 5.

It's not the calories you burn while exercising it's the extra calories you burn after. And to do that you want to ramp up your metabolism using tabata and/or HITT.

[YOUTUBE="eDh1Cspl0jI"] Tabata Squats[/YOUTUBE]

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
run.
for as long and hard as you can as much as you can.
this is what i do. i have a treadmil that tells me how many cals i burn and in 1.5hours or so worth of running -take breaks where you drink water and stretch to rebuild energy- i can burn around 700cals. the fat disappears evenly from all over your body, so if there are any sections you want ot focus on - just keep running, itll disapear soon. it builds muscle at the same time but you may want to work out lightly and regualarly because muscle burns fat during rest.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The set point of a persons shape is what makes diet and exercise fluctuate you know.

Your body is biologically and genetically determined to weigh within a certain weight range. When you go below your body's natural set point, your metabolism will react and start to slow down to try and conserve energy. Your body will start to sense it's in a state of semi-starvation and will try to use the few calories it receives more effectively. Just as your metabolism will slow down when you go under your body's set point, it will also increase if you go above it. The body will try to fight against the weight gain by increasing the metabolism and raising the body's temperature to try and burn off the unwanted calories.

Set points vary for each individual person. That is why it's not a good idea to go by the weight charts that you see in medical books or hanging in your doctor's office. For instance, a woman at a height of 5'5" with a small frame may have a set point range between 120-130 lbs, but another woman with the same frame may have a set point range between 130-140 lbs. Their set points may be different, but that is the weight range where their bodies will fight to maintain.

The more you try to go below your body's set point range, the harder your body will fight to retain it's natural weight. Engaging in a healthy eating and exercise routine, will allow your body to go to the weight it wants and needs to be at.

Basically the set point of a person is the homeostasis status quo set by the hypothalamus.

Of course there is a fine line here, when your body learns a new set point after years of being a certain shape, this is then maintained and hard to adjust. Having been 84-100kg myself since forever I know how foods affect a person according to metabolic type. I've been 75kg for a few years, all it took was clearing my lymphatic system and eating foods that are healthy for my body. I'm still exercise aversive which is something I have to start more of because muscles do burn the calories only to demand you eat more food.

Wasn't so much crazy high-calorie burning ideas as set point theory, but then crazy high-calorie ideas can't be good for you because they are crazy to maintain. :D
I feel tired just by thinking about it.

Just out of curiosity how do you clear your lymphatic system?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just out of curiosity how do you clear your lymphatic system?

I went to a nutritionist who identified I have a poor lymphatic circulation and liver function which I got sorted by detox while learning to eat healthier foods along with.

The lymph glands have eight functions:
Neutralising toxins and poisons
Returning water from tissues to the blood.
Returning leaked protein to the blood
Transporting fats in the body
Transporting hormones by the Lymph System
Destructs foreign bacteria
Produces antibodies and
Makes up the largest content of fluid in the body, carries more waste than blood.