• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crazy High-Calorie Burning Excercises -- Suggestions Please

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
So I have to get back in the saddle and start working out again. A local yoga studio advertises that 1 1/2 hours of yoga burns 800 calories but uh, I don't think so otherwise I'd do it.. I love Bikram yoga but I afear for my skin at the studios around here.

My weight loss experience taught me that I do better with very active exercises where I sweat a lot and you know feel like I'm doing some old-fashioned working out, regardless of how many calories are burned. Like dance aerobics. During the summer my teacher was a female hip-hop dancer and we did A LOT of booty shaking. I think it was awkward for the men in the class. Hahahaha.

So any suggestions on crazy high calorie burning exercises? Someone else mentioned HIIT (high intensity interval training?) but I would like to do something not involving a gym... Unless it's a really posh gym with towel service and personal tvs, I can't stand being in a gym for more than 5 minutes.

Thanks!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
So any suggestions on crazy high calorie burning exercises? Someone else mentioned HIIT (high intensity interval training?) but I would like to do something not involving a gym... Unless it's a really posh gym with towel service and personal tvs, I can't stand being in a gym for more than 5 minutes.

It doesn't involve a gym. Go for it. Sprinting also works on essentially the same principle.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Indoor cycling, spinning (or whatever they wish to call it) can burn up to 900 calories in an hour depending how far you push yourself.

I also don't recommend doing this more than three times in a week as I injured my foot running, but I believe that clipping (cycling shoes) in to the bike created a weakness in my foot which lead to my injury. I can't work out until the inflammation in my heal goes away so I have been pretty bummed out.

Anyway give it a try! :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone ever seen the movie Se7en? There's a great weight-loss program in that movie...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Has anyone ever seen the movie Se7en? There's a great weight-loss program in that movie...

You mean the excessive vomiting or the beheading?

Either way -- NO.

Jeez Uber, are you gonna kiss a girl with that mouth? Does your mom know what a potty mouth you are?

NEXT!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mean the excessive vomiting or the beheading?

Either way -- NO.

Jeez Uber, are you gonna kiss a girl with that mouth? Does your mom know what a potty mouth you are?

NEXT!

Actually, I was thinking more about being chained up to a bed for a year! ;)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think cross-country skiing burns a huge amount of calories, even more than running. Swimming would also be good.

Other than that, try hiking. If you're not burning enough calories, find steeper terrain or put more weight in your backpack, slacker. :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Updato

I think cross-country skiing burns a huge amount of calories, even more than running. Swimming would also be good.

Other than that, try hiking. If you're not burning enough calories, find steeper terrain or put more weight in your backpack, slacker. :D

Man, I have trekked up the steep rocky sides of mountains. Or rather, I scrambled up the steep smooth face of rocks and grabbed onto all manner tree branch and trunk for dear life. I lived in a very mountainous country.

I agree, it is an AWESOME workout. Your legs get all wobbly and I can't even stand without all the nerves in my legs twitching. But I'm not enough of a masochist to make myself do this on a regular basis. Some people feel the need to conquer a mountain. I think 'Great, I just climbed up this...now what?' followed by 'WTF, now I gotta walk all the way back down???"

Hhahaa, kidding I'm not that lazy.

The funniest hiking image I have is when my entire family holding on for dear life, we were trekking (no trails at some points) and traversing up a steep incline covered in brush. And then some food delivery guy zips past us balancing a load of trays on his head. Or maybe it was cases of food at his sides...I don't remember now.

I do remember thinking dang he takes his job seriously.

They say postal delivery guys have the longest life spans for an occupation --it's all that walking!

BTW, I finally got around to the yoga studio today. I hate 'flow', I don't understand why our asses are up in the air for 1/2 the class. Is that somehow putting junk in the trunk? Where's the benes???

But do I like that the studio isn't sketchy or thoroughly soaked with the smell of sweat. If I can really burn 600-800 calories a pop doing it, I'm going to buy all manner of yuppie yoga outfits and go for it!

Either that, or I'm going to put together a bunch of 80s sweat outfits with coordinating headbands and wristbands and take up boxing. I already imagine doing a Rocky-esque sequence of 'no frills' conditioning as I play the Karate Kid themesong -- 'You're the BEST arrroouuund, nothing's ever gonna get you dowwwn!' Then I'm going to incorporate the hiking mentioned at the beginning of this post, run up a snow-capped mountain, pump my fists in the air and scream, "Murder-errrrrrr! Murder-errrrr!"

I bought pink wristbands and gave one to a friend so we matched while we did our hip hop class. We were SO cool.

It's nice having friends. :redface:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd go for capoeira or kick-boxing actually. Or do latin ballroom, salsa (edit: socially on the dancefloor in a club) or poles. These are activities which would help build tone and grace, vs just lose weight - no point losing the little michellin tyres if there no abs under it, so to speak ;) Also, they're more social activities, I have the feeling you could be bored doing a solitary sport. :D

Check this list of activities and calorie burning (it even covers housework haha):
Calories Burned During Exercise

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'd go for capoeira or kick-boxing actually. Or do latin ballroom, salsa (edit: socially on the dancefloor in a club) or poles. These are activities which would help build tone and grace, vs just lose weight - no point losing the little michellin tyres if there no abs under it, so to speak ;) Also, they're more social activities, I have the feeling you could be bored doing a solitary sport. :D

Check this list of activities and calorie burning (it even covers housework haha):
Calories Burned During Exercise

Heehee, yes the solitay sport thing. You know, I like group activities in as much as they motivate you to work. But I hate crowded classes, with everyone being self-absorbed together (that would be most yoga studios).

I am tempted to try a pole dancing class. I think I would need to go with someone else to get the full social effect though. I think I would be tempted to laugh too much.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
You wouldn't believe how much I sweat during belly dancing! Also, Tai-chi uses an extraordinary amount of energy for as little motion I use.

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
So I have to get back in the saddle and start working out again. A local yoga studio advertises that 1 1/2 hours of yoga burns 800 calories but uh, I don't think so otherwise I'd do it.. I love Bikram yoga but I afear for my skin at the studios around here.

My weight loss experience taught me that I do better with very active exercises where I sweat a lot and you know feel like I'm doing some old-fashioned working out, regardless of how many calories are burned. Like dance aerobics. During the summer my teacher was a female hip-hop dancer and we did A LOT of booty shaking. I think it was awkward for the men in the class. Hahahaha.

Thanks!

Well, back before they banned it because of a few cardiac/heat stroke deaths, it was popular among midwestern kids in high-school wrestling programs to cut weight by popping ephedra and running on treadmills in winter parkas or, better, wearing latex bodysuits that prevent the evaporation of sweat.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Well, back before they banned it because of a few cardiac/heat stroke deaths, it was popular among midwestern kids in high-school wrestling programs to cut weight by popping ephedra and running on treadmills in winter parkas or, better, wearing latex bodysuits that prevent the evaporation of sweat.

:doh:

Geez, Roger. I didn't ask how I could lose 5 pounds in fluids. If I wanted to do that, I'd pop a handful of diuretics, cover myself in Saran Wrap and Abolene and hit the sauna for 4 or 5 hours.

But, thanks for the suggestion.

You kinky, kinky bastard.

I bet I know what you're getting for Christmas!

lisa

heya cze cze... walking up elevated levels in nature goes a treat.. aka.. trekking the hills.. chuck on the boots and going exploring is wickedly delicious!!

too busy trying to get lost and finding way again ..checking out the interesting scenery.. of the mountains etc.. listening to hear water.. birds.. smelling the air.. sweating.. yummy.. good fun.. and seems to be no effort at all.. more exciting.. and freeing ... feels *great*!! : ))

xx lis

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Dancing. Sex. Any active flexibility has me dripping.

I adore the taste of sweat.

Parabola

MBTI Type
INTJ
This hasn't been posted on in awhile, but I'll throw in m two cents.

Running is the easiest way to get your body fired up. It's a harder workout than almost any other activity. 800 calories for an hour and a half of yoga? I burn 800 calories running for 40 minutes. Less than half the time required.

Of course, running for 40 minutes is harder than yoga, so....

And the only equipment you need is a pair of running shoes.

That's my favorite method. I lost over 100 pounds through diet, running, and weight lifting.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Jump rope for 15 minutes. Jump higher and fast and I guarantee you will sweat.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
During the summer my teacher was a female hip-hop dancer and we did A LOT of booty shaking. I think it was awkward for the men in the class. Hahahaha.

I'd be like, "Aaw HELL NO."

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm amazed it's gotten this far without sex being mentioned....

Anyhow, cycling is your best bet. Just don't do downhill or stupid stuff and you should tone up without f-ing up your features ;)

It's no good being a slim and "ripped" car crash victim :)