User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I just want to thank Halla and Biaxident so much for sharing - that was helpful indeed....

Just out of curiosity because I have to admit I *am* a bit anal retentive:

When the machines say you burn X calories and you're not a huge-ass bodybuilder, rather a woman who goes to the gym 3-4 times a week, and you put in your real weight, would it be accurate to say that I could take the calories burned, divide it by 2, and it would be the calories I burn?

I love to see calories melt away! (And btw. I also do cardio for at least 60 minutes every time, then weights - does good for me too!)
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I just want to thank Halla and Biaxident so much for sharing - that was helpful indeed....

Just out of curiosity because I have to admit I *am* a bit anal retentive:

When the machines say you burn X calories and you're not a huge-ass bodybuilder, rather a woman who goes to the gym 3-4 times a week, and you put in your real weight, would it be accurate to say that I could take the calories burned, divide it by 2, and it would be the calories I burn?

I love to see calories melt away! (And btw. I also do cardio for at least 60 minutes every time, then weights - does good for me too!)
    Hey, you're very welcome, I hope my long winded advice comes in handy.

As faras the displays on the machines at the gym, I really cannot attest to their accuracy or lack thereof, I go by how my clothes fit and the mirror.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Unlike Halla, I don't even go by the mirror. Too many people have body image issues, and don't see the real person when they look in the mirror. I go by how my clothes fit and how good I feel after the soreness has gone.

And everyone seems to be obsessed with losing "weight". It's not weight you need to lose, it's the excess fat. And the way to lose excess fat it to do any activity hard and long enough to sweat and raise your heart rate to the proper level, and keep it there for a good 20 minutes or better. Which will in turn increase your metabolism for far longer than the exercise actually lasts.

You can do sit-ups till you're unable to walk, but you still won't lose the spare tire until your metabolism is in the fat burning zone.

And the machines at the gym most likely aren't going to be accurate. The companies want you to feel good about yourself so you'll use their equipment more. They don't really care if they are accurate.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    And everyone seems to be obsessed with losing "weight". It's not weight you need to lose, it's the excess fat. And the way to lose excess fat it to do any activity hard and long enough to sweat and raise your heart rate to the proper level, and keep it there for a good 20 minutes or better. Which will in turn increase your metabolism for far longer than the exercise actually lasts.

You can do sit-ups till you're unable to walk, but you still won't lose the spare tire until your metabolism is in the fat burning zone.
    Both are very good points that are too often overlooked!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Here's what I like:

running
    cycling(for at least an hour)
    cross country skiing
    swimming

All burn a lot of calories. Bikes are the most fun for me. It's like flying!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    What sort of pedals are you using for clipping in? (the 2 holed horizontal shoes for SPD/eggbeaters/, or the triangular 3-holed LOOK or the other brand similar ones i.e. the larger road cleats)

(I currently ride with SPD because I bought the shoes not knowing what kind of riding I'd end up interested in; I'm sticking with road so I will likely buy road shoes and pedals sometime this year with my ridiculous LBS discount. I love my job.)

---

BTW, cycling is great because it's one of the few outdoor activities you can measure your progress with. Buy a little cyclocomputer for $24.99 CDN (I'm sure it's cheaper in teh USA) and chart your progress.
    SPD's are standard for spinning, at least I think so; I've never actually done it.

but I've used all the pedals you mentioned. If you want maximum float, get Speedplay. they are really easy to clip into too. If you go this route, get the cleat covers, as they are hard to walk in, especially on slippery floors. the cleats wear out a bit faster too. I Think the egg beaters are better for walking, but are easier to accidentaly clip out of, IMO. They are light and durable though.
    Three- hole shoes and pedals (road stuff) are fine, but usually have less float, and can only be entered on one side; Beaters and Speedplay are double-sided.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Unlike Halla, I don't even go by the mirror. Too many people have body image issues, and don't see the real person when they look in the mirror. I go by how my clothes fit and how good I feel after the soreness has gone.

And the machines at the gym most likely aren't going to be accurate. The companies want you to feel good about yourself so you'll use their equipment more. They don't really care if they are accurate.
    Question: Will you burn fat in the cardio zone or only in the fat burning zone, which I hear is less...and what would that zone be for a woman who is going to turn 29 on April 1?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Question: Will you burn fat in the cardio zone or only in the fat burning zone, which I hear is less...and what would that zone be for a woman who is going to turn 29 on April 1?
    You burn fat and carbohydrates at all times. It is the ratio of C&F that changes with intensity. With low intensity, the ratio is tilted to the F side. Higher intensity tips the ratio to the C side, but here is the thing to keep in mind: you are still burning fat at higer intensity, just a lower percentage of the total. You may actually burn as much fat by going harder, but you will burn more Carbos too, which means you are burning more calories overall. So the logic that says that burning fat is best accomplished at a low intensity, is a little misleading.

this article explains it well:

Consumer Health Digest :: The Skinny On Fat Burning

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    You burn fat and carbohydrates at all times. It is the ratio of C&F that changes with intensity. With low intensity, the ratio is tilted to the F side. Higher intensity tips the ratio to the C side, but here is the thing to keep in mind: you are still burning fat at higer intensity, just a lower percentage of the total. You may actually burn as much fat by going harder, but you will burn more Carbos too, which means you are burning more calories overall. So the logic that says that burning fat is best accomplished at a low intensity, is a little misleading.

this article explains it well:

Consumer Health Digest :: The Skinny On Fat Burning
    If desiring to burn fat a low intensity it is necessary to assume long duration of activity. The analogy I can think of is this, muscular strength, lifting 1,000 pounds on a bench press, is the same as 10 reps of 100, or 4 reps of 225, right?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Or in simplified terms. Short bursts of activity burn more carbohydrates. Longer term activities like hiking, burn more fat. Carbs are a finite source of energy, once your body runs out, it starts burning fat as the primary energy source.

Which is why most "fat burning" activities are of a longer duration than muscle building activities.

But, the more muscle you have the more calories per day you burn, which means any activity you do will use more energy, and even sitting on your duff will use more energy.

Your body is always using some fat for various things.

The thing you have to remember is those numbers are a guess, based on what some researcher thinks is normal.

And if you do anything that raises your heart rate, you burn more fat. Don't worry about the exact zone so much. Worry about enjoying what you do.

If I remember correctly the formula is 220-[your age] = your "maximum safe heart rate" and 50-75% of that is your "fat burning" zone.