User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    This hasn't been posted on in awhile, but I'll throw in m two cents.

Running is the easiest way to get your body fired up. It's a harder workout than almost any other activity. 800 calories for an hour and a half of yoga? I burn 800 calories running for 40 minutes. Less than half the time required.

Of course, running for 40 minutes is harder than yoga, so....

And the only equipment you need is a pair of running shoes.

That's my favorite method. I lost over 100 pounds through diet, running, and weight lifting.
    I agree... yoga-aasanas and praNayama were meant to strengthen, tone, and most of all loosen up the body... they completely revolutionize your body, but they have to be done consistently for at least six months to a year for you to realize that you've changed.

I'd like to add, though, as a purist: yoga is not supposed to be hard... in fact, it's supposed to be easy and meditative... though I would think doing some of the new-fangled "yoga" styles, like Bikram Yoga (where you go into a room heated to over a hundred degrees and essentially do massive amounts of stretching) would burn shitloads of calories...

Running... swimming... cycling... these are 'sports' which will make you lose weight and tone up quickly.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Try P90X. Amazingly tough and hard to do. 12 different workouts x 1 hour each. The plyometrics made my 17 year old super fit teenage boy throw up (he was crawling on the ground after the arms and chest workout).

Go to for more info. Cathe Friedrich has some hard hard dvd's as well.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Indoor cycling, spinning (or whatever they wish to call it) can burn up to 900 calories in an hour depending how far you push yourself.

I also don't recommend doing this more than three times in a week as I injured my foot running, but I believe that clipping (cycling shoes) in to the bike created a weakness in my foot which lead to my injury. I can't work out until the inflammation in my heal goes away so I have been pretty bummed out.

Anyway give it a try!
    What sort of pedals are you using for clipping in? (the 2 holed horizontal shoes for SPD/eggbeaters/, or the triangular 3-holed LOOK or the other brand similar ones i.e. the larger road cleats)

SPD you're locked in so your legs can't naturally float around in the pedal revolution; this can lead to injury. But LOOK pedals have varying degrees of float that you can adjust based off of the cleat shim you add (3 options, from no float to 9 degrees float) and eggbeaters vary up to something ridiculous up to like 25 degrees float before you clip out.

Cycling is supposed to be a non-impact sport; if you're getting injuries and not pushing yourself ridiculously hard, there's always ways to adjust your equipment for an enjoyable ride.

(I currently ride with SPD because I bought the shoes not knowing what kind of riding I'd end up interested in; I'm sticking with road so I will likely buy road shoes and pedals sometime this year with my ridiculous LBS discount. I love my job.)

---

BTW, cycling is great because it's one of the few outdoor activities you can measure your progress with. Buy a little cyclocomputer for $24.99 CDN (I'm sure it's cheaper in teh USA) and chart your progress.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    GONE

Running around the city without using public transportation, dancing and standing in high heels, and just chatting/socializing with multiple peopel honest to goodness burns a lot of calories.

I know when I visited my friend in Bezerkely, all we did we eat, shop, and party and I lost 2 pounds over the weekend.

I had 1 1/2 caramel fudge sundaes and fried cheese at 11:00 pm at night with a glass of red wine. That's how I was splurging. So if I lost 2 pounds, I think that's saying something.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Running around the city without using public transportation, dancing and standing in high heels, and just chatting/socializing with multiple peopel honest to goodness burns a lot of calories.

I know when I visited my friend in Bezerkely, all we did we eat, shop, and party and I lost 2 pounds over the weekend.

I had 1 1/2 caramel fudge sundaes and fried cheese at 11:00 pm at night with a glass of red wine. That's how I was splurging. So if I lost 2 pounds, I think that's saying something.
    I think that is a definite argument for partying more often!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

sprinting burns much more fat then long distance running or anything else for that matter

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Especially when you sprint for an hour straight "whooo buddy!"

Oberon

Running intervals is far and away the most effective (and most taxing) workout I've ever done.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Power Plate @ MSAC

It vibrates..
    It makes exercise harder..
    It's a "must have" gadget...

What more could anyone ask for?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Power Plate @ MSAC

It vibrates..
    It makes exercise harder..
    It's a "must have" gadget...

What more could anyone ask for?
    Or you could just run jump or push that much harder... if your poor like me that is.