User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 130

Thread: Obesity myth

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default Obesity myth

    ..is the name of a book from 2005 about how 'obesity' was never a serious health risk, and how it's all just an excuse to rag on fat people. (which I have always suspected)

    what do you think?

  2. #2
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    ..is the name of a book from 2005 about how 'obesity' was never a serious health risk, and how it's all just an excuse to rag on fat people. (which I have always suspected)

    what do you think?
    The leading killer of Americans is heart disease. Child diabetes is up to incredibly high levels in this country. More and more Americans are horribly overweight despite the fact that one third of the world is starving. If those are myths too then I'll consider obesity to possibly be a myth.

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Obese people are healthier than ultra-slender. And the fact that obese people have more stored energy means that exercise for them should theoretically be easier.

    I don't think that obese people are judged solely by their appearance, but what I've observed with many of them is that they tend to whine more. I think this is another part of the reason that people find them unattractive.

    As for one-third of the world's population starving, that doesn't sound very bad...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    The definition of diabedes was changed overnight sometime in the 90s, and the correlation between BMI and heart desease is basically imaginary until the upper 30s. This isn't about overconsumption. It's about the how incredibly unhealthy fast food is (which is slightly ovverated), but trying make people thinner doesn't solve anything. If people all ate a smaller amount of food and healther food, there would still be fat people. To me, the issue is really just about a nation obsessed with physical appearance.

  5. #5
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    ..is the name of a book from 2005 about how 'obesity' was never a serious health risk, and how it's all just an excuse to rag on fat people. (which I have always suspected)

    what do you think?
    I think that is ridiculous. On a related note, though, it is possible that skinny people who eat equally as bad are just as unhealthy. Even ignoring almost all internal problems, obesity, at the very least, causes joint and mobility problems.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  6. #6
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    The definition of diabedes was changed overnight sometime in the 90s, and the correlation between BMI and heart desease is basically imaginary until the upper 30s. This isn't about overconsumption. It's about the how incredibly unhealthy fast food is (which is slightly ovverated), but trying make people thinner doesn't solve anything. If people all ate a smaller amount of food and healther food, there would still be fat people. To me, the issue is really just about a nation obsessed with physical appearance.
    The title of the thread is "Obesity myth" not "Fat myth". There are plenty of scientific studies to support the idea that there are health risks associated with being obese. To be considered obese someone has to be 20% overweight. Now I don't speak for "fat" people. But to get 20% or more overweight, you do have to be engaging in some unhealthy habits such as a lot of consumption of unhealthy foods (not just fast food) and not engaging in exercise. Now if you want to say there are no health risks associated with obesity then I will go dig up study after study that says otherwise. If you want to say there are no health risks with just being fat or overweight then I won't disagree with you. People's bodies are built differently and people have different metabolisms.

    Eating habits begin at an early age, so consider that when you say heart disease isn't something to worry about until your 30's. And yes, the nation is obsessed with people being thin, but that isn't an argument against the health risks of obesity.

    As far as your diabetes argument, you are going to have to clarify that one for me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Yes, you are attempting to speak for 'obese' people, but by what you're saying, I bet most of them would rather speak for themselves. That "20% overwieght) comes from BMI standards that are rediculous to say the least. Seriously, what is 20% overwieght? 26? 30? If you saw people with those BMIs you would not consider them fat. Did you know that Brad Pitt is overwieght by those standards.
    All the 'health risks' of being 'obese' don't become statistically significant until the way upper 30s of BMI. And there are deseases other than heart desease that affect skinny people more.
    What is "OBESE" supposed to mean other than fat, then? How is there any real justifaction for that lable? How is it anything other than an excuse to single people out?

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I think that is ridiculous. On a related note, though, it is possible that skinny people who eat equally as bad are just as unhealthy. Even ignoring almost all internal problems, obesity, at the very least, causes joint and mobility problems.
    See? We lose both ways!

  9. #9
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    ..is the name of a book from 2005 about how 'obesity' was never a serious health risk, and how it's all just an excuse to rag on fat people. (which I have always suspected)

    what do you think?
    Would you say, then, that fat people are in fact healthy?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  10. #10
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Yes, you are attempting to speak for 'obese' people, but by what you're saying, I bet most of them would rather speak for themselves. That "20% overwieght) comes from BMI standards that are rediculous to say the least. Seriously, what is 20% overwieght? 26? 30? If you saw people with those BMIs you would not consider them fat. Did you know that Brad Pitt is overwieght by those standards.
    All the 'health risks' of being 'obese' don't become statistically significant until the way upper 30s of BMI. And there are deseases other than heart desease that affect skinny people more.
    What is "OBESE" supposed to mean other than fat, then? How is there any real justifaction for that lable? How is it anything other than an excuse to single people out?
    Brad Pitt is not outside the BMI index. Anyways, they use other methods of measure in order to account for different body types.

    It seems you are emotive on the issue since you can't seem to extrapolate the difference between being fat and being obese. Here is the wiki article on obesity. I think you can see how the health risks are part of the definition. If you have substantially higher body fat, then you are at risk for health problems. If you have evidence to the contrary then I would love to see it.

Similar Threads

  1. The ESFP "stupid" myth.
    By Mort Belfry in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 846
    Last Post: 10-12-2013, 10:47 PM
  2. Clearing Up The J/P Myth
    By "?" in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
  3. Lack of breakfast and obesity?
    By The Ü™ in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
  4. N - myths
    By developer in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO