Thread: Obesity myth

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I didn't claim to, but I do have eyes and can make observations of the people around me. I have yet to see one truly obese person lead a consistently healthy lifestyle; they are either sedentary and/or have very poor eating habits. You just add 2 + 2 together...
    I would rather not assume about the lifestyles of others unless I really know them, but that's just me.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

If you have ever thought badly about a person because of their size or pressured them to change their size for their own good, please I implore you to read this article, it is heartbreaking to me.

Junkfood Science: How weve come to believe that overeating causes obesity

The heritability of obesity is equivalent to that of height and greater than that of almost every other condition that has been studied, said Dr. Friedman. Someone genetically predisposed to obesity will become obese independent of their caloric intake, he explains.
    But the average person eats one million or more calories each year, while weight changes very little, because energy balance is biologically regulated with a precision of greater than 99.5%, which far exceeds what can be consciously controlled, he explained
    If this is true, then sizism is no different to racism in any way.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISF*
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    If you have ever thought badly about a person because of their size or pressured them to change their size for their own good, please I implore you to read this article, it is heartbreaking to me.

Junkfood Science: How weve come to believe that overeating causes obesity

If this is true, then sizism is no different to racism in any way.
    Thank you. It's about time somebody noticed.

Check the reliability of your sources. People write lots of things with agendas. No clues what her agenda is, but she is distorting stuff, and saying not much.

A quick Google search gives a few rebuttals of her statements. And also shows she's a food writer and marketing consultant who writes newspaper stories and for The Christian Science Monitor. In terms of her expertise, she has a bachelor of nursing science. I'm guessing there are in the range of 1000s of top level journal articles written by everything from doctors to professors in the field that say otherwise. I normally don't go on expert opinion only, but this seems senseless enough that it reminds me of the smoking companies saying cigarettes don't cause cancer.

I'll admit it is beneficial for people in medicine to see it as unhealthy and have something to treat, and also for people who want to sell diet programs. So they can have an agenda. But the bigger corporate beast seems to be fast food companies which need people to stop running to healthier food. The title of her article also suggests it is not aimed at improving things for the obese, but more to do with okaying junk food.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Well to be the devil's advocate... racism isn't the same thing as sizism.

Currently your race has little impact on your medical therapy. It doesn't matter whether you're black or white or asian or caucasian... you get (should get) the same treatment... hooked-up to the same machines etc.

Not so with people who're severely overweight. They don't fit standard beds, blood pressure cuffs just to name a few. They need their own set of custom-sized equipment and devices. This wouldn't be a problem if these people pay for the cost of such themselves... but they don't. The rest of us have to share the burden of the extra cost... not to mention cost for their extended hospital stays.

Doctors are a lot more careful doing operations on unfit obese individuals... that also leads to longer monitoring times before and after surgery which adds to costs and use of hospital bed.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Precisely, Nightning. It's always nice when there are people who pick up the ball where I decided to pass it up.

I understand discrimination as being justified on two bases. One is accountability, and the other is detriment. If there isn't a good case that a demographic of people can be held for either, than the discrimination is unjustified.

In the case of blacks, they are not accountable for being black and being black doesn't cause any problems. Now, even if your article were true (and I'm skeptical), "sizism" would not be the same as racism. Your article would only assure us that obese people are not accountable, but it wouldn't change the fact that obesity is detrimental. Blind people, the mentally challenged, and people infected with TB, may not accountable for their situations, but it would be a bad idea to not discriminate them in some ways. You pretty much have to, because those conditions alter circumstances so much.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

There is a significant social factor in obesity. Society is set up in a way that encourages obesity in some respects, while at the same time damning those who are not of an ideal body type- this does not bode well generally when people are told that their natural urges are sinful. What we put on the table to eat is heavily culturally influenced, and people in developed countries (especially America) simply do not eat well. While you could look at this ever-increasing evidence to suggest that society pulls the strings as to how an individual manages their diet, there's still agency to the individual, despite environmental factors. Simply put, living in such a society means that the individual is fighting an uphill battle against obesity.

In my mind then, there are similarities between "sizism" and racism in that they are identities society will recognize and treat you differently for. Not only that, but society builds and maintains these identities, and greatly encourages people to not have such identities. Most often being obese can be changed by the individual, unlike racism, which puts the strain on them more because society also places heavy significance on merit; obese people are seen as failures in this regard.

Obesity is clearly not healthy, and society is not seeking to help these people. By placing judgment and blame on them, some of the obese may become spiteful and disdainful at anyone who tells them that obesity is bad for them, and that they should help themselves. As a society we should change our attitudes towards the obese, because at the moment we are, in a sense, simply enabling the problem. Social attitudes towards body image and diet could clearly use overhauling, as well as providing the obese and those at risk to obesity the tools and help that they require to make appropriate choices.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Also: You can't really change your skin color, but you can change obesity with proper dieting and exercise.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

So I suppose you're all for user pays healthcare? That is fine, but should all people with genetic diseases/differences pay more for their extra costs? It seems harsh to me, especially if they can't afford it (correlation with low income). Personally I don't mind paying more for those that need more.

That is not neccesarily what I mean by sizism though, what I mean is the endless rhetoric from the media, governments, health industry and the general public, that fat is horrific and that people that are fat are horrific and that it's all their own fault. I hate seeing them constantly held up as symbols of greed and sloth. I hate seeing little girls thinking they're "fat and ugly" as they imitate their mother's self hatred. I hate seeing people avoid going to the doctor when they are sick because of the constant bashing they get about losing weight.

It's cruel and disgusting, and it's all for something out of their control.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

You can change your social class with a good pulling up of your bootstraps, but the fact remains that classism is a huge problem.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4