User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Obesity myth

Oberon

I tend of think of obesity as a symptom. It's one aspect of a bigger health issue, which is that most people in the US don't have the healthiest eating or exercise habits. Also, I think our diet as a rule includes too much in the way of refined carbs. This tends to creat a population that carries too much weight.

At 5'10" and 220 pounds I'm considered obese. Yes, I am carrying too much belly. I could lose 40 pounds and not be overly thin. At the same time, I am not a person you would look at and think "Wow, he's fat!" Rather, I just look kind of thick all over. I am physically capable of doing most anything normal people can do.

And, by itself, I don't think this degree of obesity apart from my dietary habits and exercise regime significantly shortens my lifespan or reduces my quality of life. My obesity is the result of my lifestyle, but not a significant problem of itself. Rather, my lifestyle is actually the problem, and will result in serious health consequences if I don't make some changes.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Obesity has long been studied and has shown to be a risk factor in a number of diseases, CVDs being the most important. Obesity is associated with the primary risk factors of heart disease (see below) and other important diseases. So basically you can go ahead and say that there's a moderate relationship with obesity being a risk factor itself, but it doesn't always match up. If you could find me studies indicating that some obese people don't have high levels of the other risk factors, you may be onto something.

Prediction of Coronary Heart Disease Using Risk Factor Categories -- Wilson et al. 97 (18): 1837 -- Circulation

ConclusionsRecommended guidelines of blood pressure, total cholesterol, and LDL cholesterol effectively predict CHD risk in a middle-aged white population sample.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Or, the propensity toward forming a beer-belly is caused by the same underlying systemic conditions that also lead to cardiovascular problems.
    Thank you for bringing the third (or fourth, or fifth...) variable into the picture.

It simply doesn't make sense that obesity, itself, would cause any health problems other than, perhaps, joint problems and impaired mobility. What aspect of weight makes it inherently bad for us? What makes more sense to me is the possibility that the health problems associated with obesity are caused by the behaviors and genetic dispositions that lead to obesity.

MBTI
    ENTP

Obesity kills far more slowly than anorexia....

Actually if you stack up some of these conditions...

Anorexia can kill people very early on
    Obesity take a few years of life expectancy
    Smoking take of a few les years than obesity but still kills ya

Although this is based on memory of statistics so might be skewed to my brain thinking it up

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    It simply doesn't make sense that obesity, itself, would cause any health problems other than, perhaps, joint problems and impaired mobility.
    No, it makes perfect sense that obesity in and of itself would increase risk of heart failure. The human heart is suited to supply a certain number of blood vessels over a certain area. The area and number of blood vessels go well over the adapted amount when a person becomes obese, so the heart has to hustle 24/7. Also, the whole added weight thing produces sheer stress on the body. This is a reason that fat people tend to get winded way faster. It takes much more force and energy to move that mass around. The pressure itself is condusive to heart attacks.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    No, it makes perfect sense that obesity in and of itself would increase risk of heart failure. The human heart is suited to supply a certain number of blood vessels over a certain area. The area and number of blood vessels go well over the adapted amount when a person becomes obese, so the heart has to hustle 24/7. Also, the whole added weight thing produces sheer stress on the body. This is a reason that fat people tend to get winded way faster. It takes much more force and energy to move that mass around. The pressure itself is condusive to heart attacks.
    Good point. How did I miss that?

MBTI
    ENTP

Laugh - do you understand the impact of Cortosol on the body?

Stress causes the release of the hormone cortizol which causes the central boday to lay down layers of fat... this is basically your torso and beer belly. The type of fat stimulated by cortizol increase fattening by multiple effect, thus increase the fat. The heart/cerntal organs get coated with this nasty fat - which can expand and hold fat much longer than perifferals which adds additional work for the heart to do... hence adds strain, the excess fat also helps to lay down fat withn the blood vessles themselves - creating long term arterial scleroisis - unltimately ending in strokes.

Then you move into increased risk of type II diabetes, which is excaserated by Insuline over productctio = which creates cravings which creates ecessive eatting which increases insulin production, eventually your pancrease packs up and stops playing. Diabetes has a huge number of side effects including lowering circulation and body temperatures creating problems in the body's perrifferals, ultimately it causes problems with extremity of limbs and sometimes eye sight.,

L

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's not a myth. I see people who are truly obese struggling to breathe, let alone do anything else. It puts stress on the lungs, heart, and joints. I see people in their 20's with Type 2 diabetes. I see people who should still be walking around riding around in those little golf carts at the grocery store because they're so fat it hurts their back to grocery shop.

It's not a myth. True obesity is unhealthy. Now, as for being slightly overweight, I do think that's been hyped up to the point of ridiculousness. I will say that being in the "normal" overweight range (not obese) is probably not as unhealthy as some people would make it out to be, no more than an overly skinny person, as some have already pointed out.

This all has a lot to do with things like trans fat and lack of fiber, which are dietary problems that can exist in a person even if they aren't overweight. A person who is naturally predisposed to be slim can have high cholesterol because of a bad diet, so...

MBTI
    INTP

Anyone who doesn't believe obesity is an issue in the US hasn't had the dubious pleasure of walking through Walmart on the weekend.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Oh, Obesity is real. I've seen it.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?