User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Obesity myth

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Ok. To start off. What I'm saying is there here's what often (you just say it in another thread) happens: person X is fat or thinks they're fat, so they excercise. Then they get into great shape (or at least much better shape than I've ever been in) and they should be happy with themselves. But they're effort didn't make them skinny and our culture tells them that that makes them inferior human beings, either because some drug-company funded study said that they're irresponsible, or because someone like you makes a completely unfounded claim that they're somehow less responsible than you because of the way they're naturally built.
    Whoa, whoa, put down your dukes. I'm not in the best shape myself and I have gotten more than my fair share of hazing for being "fat". My issue with your arguments is that you are disregarding the reality that being substantially overweight is unhealthy. I understand you have had some bad experiences, and that is a sad flaw of our weight obsessed culture, but there are still genuine health concerns with obesity whether you want to accept it or not.

The thing is, the studies that supposedly correlate obesity with increased mortality and certian deseases? those are very subjective claims to make!
    As has been explained before, there is plenty of objective evidence to back up the assertion that being obese is unhealthy.

And really, even for obese people the health risk is tiny: mortality a few months ahead of time.
    I don't think that is quite true. For one, there would be no statistical method that could be used to effectively measure that. For two, individual's genetics vary and so no person will respond to being obese exactly the same as the next.

On the other hand, one CAN conclusively state that yo-yo (loosing and regaining wieght) dieting has adverse long term health effects. Also remember. The former study can't adjust to the people who might have higher mortality AS A RESULT of the rediculous deiting standards that the mainstream medical community tries to get these people to do (In the book is a real life story by an 'obese' person who went to his docter with a sinus infection and got a lecture about his wieght- which is why I don't trust the medical community on this one).
    I don't doubt any of that. Anyone with a brain should know the best way to live life is in moderation.

MBTI
    ENTP

O.K, O.K, I'm not sure about that substantially overwieght thing, but I'm glad you see something in what I'm saying. I'm just trying to challenge the level of false assumption around this issue.
    Anyway, I'm not actually fat, I'm like average (or whatever). I just have seen what I just described happen. (whenever someone I know is on a diet it's thier WIEGHT. WIEGHT WIEGHT WIEGHT- when people around me act in self-defeating ways, it frustrates me).

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

,I'm like average (or whatever).

you're like me?

sorry- that was disruptive wasn't it!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    OMNi

O.K, O.K, I'm not sure about that substantially overwieght thing, but I'm glad you see something in what I'm saying. I'm just trying to challenge the level of false assumption around this issue.
    Anyway, I'm not actually fat, I'm like average (or whatever). I just have seen what I just described happen. (whenever someone I know is on a diet it's thier WIEGHT. WIEGHT WIEGHT WIEGHT- when people around me act in self-defeating ways, it frustrates me).
    I don't see anything self defeating about wanting to take better care of your body. The problem is the concept of a "diet" is ridiculous. If people want to see a real change in their body and health, then they need to make permanent changes in the way they eat.

It's only when people take things to extremes that things turn out bad. Eating too little or too much. Obesity is being substantially overweight, and therefore unhealthy. Just as being malnourished is being substantially underweight and therefore unhealthy. That was pretty much the only point I was trying to make.

As far as my weight, I'm well within my BMI. However, I've lived with jockish roommates who loved to call me obese because I don't sport a six pack. Not to mention that when you sleep with guys, they have a tendency to put a higher importance on physical attractiveness than girls. But I don't worry about my weight too much because I like the foods I eat and I feel healthy and can get done what I need to get done. That is all that is really important, and I just won't date or associate with guys so superficial they can't understand that.

MBTI
    ENTP

BMI isn't as good of an indicator of health as waist-hip ratio. I'm thin and mine is around .75 but it's possible for a thin person to have an unhealthy one if they carry extra weight in their stomach and it's possible for a large boned person to have a healthy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Obese people are healthier than ultra-slender.
    This doesn't give the whole picture. You could say "obese people are healthier than malnourished people", but ultra-slender does not necessarily = malnourished.
    I don't wanna!

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    BMI isn't as good of an indicator of health as waist-hip ratio. I'm thin and mine is around .75 but it's possible for a thin person to have an unhealthy one if they carry extra weight in their stomach and it's possible for a large boned person to have a healthy one.

This doesn't give the whole picture. You could say "obese people are healthier than malnourished people", but ultra-slender does not necessarily = malnourished.
    Precisely. BMI is rubbish. I clock in at 17 (!!) which, according to the BMI, means I should be a skeleton. I'm rather thin, yes, but my bone structure is petite, too. It wouldn't hurt if I gained a little weight, but I'm perfectly healthy as is.

My dad has always been a skinny guy, but he's tall and athletic, and is only now beginning to develop a little bit of a 'beer belly' (he's just over 50). But according to the BMI, he is overweight....
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I have no idea what my 'real' BMI is grumble.... I do know that I carry too much weight in my mid section and my boobs and that I have next to no hips and lil muscular legs.....
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    ENTP

I think my BMI is about 22. It was 19 point something a couple years ago, but I've piled it on a bit lately... I started to combat it but then shit hit the fan in June and I haven't got back on track yet. I'm still fine by my doctor's standards, but personally, I like myself a bit thinner. Basically, not an image thing, but practical - I don't wanna have to buy a whole wardrobe of clothes in the next size up when it's cheaper to just slim down a bit so I fit the ones I already have.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    OMNi

Well since we are sharing I just remeasured mine. I am now sitting at a whopping 24.4. Still within normal, but pushing overweight. But that is nothing compared to where it was my Freshman year of college. I used to be at 31.2.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

..is the name of a book from 2005 about how 'obesity' was never a serious health risk, and how it's all just an excuse to rag on fat people. (which I have always suspected)

what do you think?
    Well that's a stretch at best. The Men in Black actually existing exactly as the movie portrays them is probably more likely.

As if there were any kind of widespread cultural movement to personally berate every other citizen... laughable.

Actually, obesity's health implications probably serve to eliminate a lot of 'ragging' rather than extricate it. Think about it for a moment: People mock or fear things they don't understand. Now we've got hundreds of scientific studies and plenty of media exposure unveiling a lot of what was previously shrouded by ignorance. Plenty of psychological work has been done as well. We've ascertained the existence of 'eating disorders' (which somehow seem like more of a cultural thing than an actual psychiatric problem IMO) which have the propensity to generate a great deal of compassion for the individuals who suffer.