12 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default lexapro and weight gain

we were discussing medications last night in vent and a few members mentioned that they stopped taking lexapro because it caused unexplainable weight gain.

here's my deal. i stopped smoking two and a half years ago and at the same time had an injury that kept me from being able to work out at the gym for about a year. during that time i gained weight and i always attributed that to not working out and the fact that i stopped smoking. coincidence, lexapro, and/or not working/not smoking?

over the last year i've noticed that no matter what i do, i can't seem to drop any weight. i can work out daily and watch what i eat and nothing happens. i've been drinking nothing but water and no change in weight. so last night i took my last lexapro and will wait and see what happens.

has anyone else experienced this? i was told that wellbutrin actually takes weight off but i'm not sure that its for anxiety. the kicker is that two years ago a client of mine told me that lexapro took weight off and prozac caused weight gain which is why i switched. :/
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    we were discussing medications last night in vent and a few members mentioned that they stopped taking lexapro because it caused unexplainable weight gain.

here's my deal. i stopped smoking two and a half years ago and at the same time had an injury that kept me from being able to work out at the gym for about a year. during that time i gained weight and i always attributed that to not working out and the fact that i stopped smoking. coincidence, lexapro, and/or not working/not smoking?

over the last year i've noticed that no matter what i do, i can't seem to drop any weight. i can work out daily and watch what i eat and nothing happens. i've been drinking nothing but water and no change in weight. so last night i took my last lexapro and will wait and see what happens.

has anyone else experienced this? i was told that wellbutrin actually takes weight off but i'm not sure that its for anxiety. the kicker is that two years ago a client of mine told me that lexapro took weight off and prozac caused weight gain which is why i switched. :/
    Weight gain is a side effect of SSRI's in general, regardless of brand (Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, etc.)

Wellbutrin is a norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor, so its mechanism is different than SSRIs, but I don't know anyone who has taken it for long enough to be able to ascertain if it had any weight gain specific side effects.

Have you had your thyroid checked? If your T-3 is low, then you will gain weight and be lethargic. Two people I know very well had chronic issues with fatigue and weight gain, despite eating helathy and regularly exercising. Both ultimately went on T-3 (Synthroid) and were feeling better in no time, and lost the weight that they had gained in a short amount of time. One of these people was taking Zoloft.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Yeah, pretty much any SSRI will make you gain weight. I've been taking SSRI's since i was a teenager, and they always make me gain weight. They do something to your metabolism. Also Wellbutrin is not as potent as Lexapro, so it may not work as well for you. The only reason it causes weight loss, is because it makes you vomit.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Wellbutrin is a norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor, so its mechanism is different than SSRIs, but I don't know anyone who has taken it for long enough to be able to ascertain if it had any weight gain specific side effects.
    I took Wellbutrin (the 24hr high dose) for about six years and even managed to lose weight while taking it when I was on a basic exercise program.

YMMV.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    Yeah, pretty much any SSRI will make you gain weight. I've been taking SSRI's since i was a teenager, and they always make me gain weight. They do something to your metabolism. Also Wellbutrin is not as potent as Lexapro, so it may not work as well for you. The only reason it causes weight loss, is because it makes you vomit.
    That isn't true.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Have you had your thyroid checked? If your T-3 is low, then you will gain weight and be lethargic. Two people I know very well had chronic issues with fatigue and weight gain, despite eating healthy and regularly exercising. Both ultimately went on T-3 (Synthroid) and were feeling better in no time, and lost the weight that they had gained in a short amount of time. One of these people was taking Zoloft.
    i had my thyroid checked recently and everything was "normal".

i'm going to stop taking lexapro, keep eating well and exercising and see what happens. there's just too many negative reports online that point towards lexapro being the reason for the weight gain and not being able to lose any of it.

i'll report back if there are any changes.

thanks everyone!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Your weight, unless it is veering madly out of control, is not a reason to cold turkey your antidepressant. I wish you would talk to your doctor and transition gradually off of lexapro and onto something else.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Your weight, unless it is veering madly out of control, is not a reason to cold turkey your antidepressant. I wish you would talk to your doctor and transition gradually off of lexapro and onto something else.
    i'll be fine. there have been times where i've forgotten to take the lexapro and had no side effects. there have also been times where i'll lose like 3-4 pounds for no apparent reason so maybe that was during the times i wasn't taking the lexapro. i need to stop taking it to know for sure. besides i'd rather exercise my stress away and be healthier overall. i quit smoking for that very reason so why put more shit back into my system? i've always been very responsible when it comes to keeping track of my mental and physical well being and my anxiety isn't that out of control so i'll be ok.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    That isn't true.
    it was true for me.
    it made me nauseous everyday so i would vomit 3 or 4 times a day, and it completely stopped working after a year, and I was on the highest dose possible, which was 450 mg per day, so i guess that's why i say its not as potent. This never happened to me on any other antidepressants, except for the ones that didn't work at all, like Zoloft.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

^ well, yeah what's good for some isn't always good for others. i took 20 mg's of lexapro last night (before i was notified of its nastiness) and feel like shit today. i was taking 10 mg's but my dr accidentally wrote the script for 20 so i figured i'd give it a shot. i am now drinking acai juice to try and flush this shit out of my system. blah.

i was given wellbutrin years ago to help stop smoking and i was sick as a dog so i won't be trying that again. i thought i was going to die.