User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lexapro and weight gain

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    it was true for me.
    it made me nauseous everyday so i would vomit 3 or 4 times a day, and it completely stopped working after a year, and I was on the highest dose possible, which was 450 mg per day, so i guess that's why i say its not as potent. This never happened to me on any other antidepressants, except for the ones that didn't work at all, like Zoloft.
    I've taken it for a year and a half. I don't puke. I also don't find it "weaker" than SSRIs - I found that it took care of my depression without having some of the more unpleasant side effects for me that I totally HATE about SSRIs. However, what works for one person may not work for another.

For example, there is a medication called Abilify which is supposed to be GREAT in treating severe forms of schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder, which can cause some other people to have an internal sense of restlessness that can lead to suicidal behavior (I've heard similar things about Chantix).

Instead of saying "this isn't true" I should have said "this isn't true for everybody."

I have a friend who takes Lexapro and Lactimal who is skinny as a rail. It really all depends on the individual.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    we were discussing medications last night in vent and a few members mentioned that they stopped taking lexapro because it caused unexplainable weight gain.

here's my deal. i stopped smoking two and a half years ago and at the same time had an injury that kept me from being able to work out at the gym for about a year. during that time i gained weight and i always attributed that to not working out and the fact that i stopped smoking. coincidence, lexapro, and/or not working/not smoking?

over the last year i've noticed that no matter what i do, i can't seem to drop any weight. i can work out daily and watch what i eat and nothing happens. i've been drinking nothing but water and no change in weight. so last night i took my last lexapro and will wait and see what happens.

has anyone else experienced this? i was told that wellbutrin actually takes weight off but i'm not sure that its for anxiety. the kicker is that two years ago a client of mine told me that lexapro took weight off and prozac caused weight gain which is why i switched. :/
    Most SSRIs do cause weight gain primarily by raising your appestat...Paxil is probably the worst offender, and Prozac is probably the least likely to cause substantial weight gain, but YMMV...

Wellbutrin is an norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. As you would expect from such a drug, it suppresses appetite in many, mildly increases metabolic rate, increases libido in some--and also has all the unpleasant side effects associated with stimulants--insomnia, for example.

If you quit Lexapro suddenly, you may experience mild to severe withdrawal symptoms. To avoid the possibility of these, taper down very slowly, or switch to Prozac and taper down slowly (fluoxetine's extremely long half-life is very useful for those trying to get off SSRIs).

You may be hypothyroid--please have your TSH checked...

I do wonder at the logic by Dr's giving people drugs with a fluoride compound like paxil, prozac, fluoxetine when fluoride is a thyroid inhibitor in large doses.

Say Jen just because you had your TSH tested means very little if that is all you get tested for, you are better off doing a basal body temperature test at home and going from there.

Here are a few extracts I found interesting reading.

You can read more articles here Endocrine System, Endocrine Disrupting Hormones, Adrenals, Ovaries, Testes

Department: Office of Communications (with news releases)
    The test to measure thyroid hormones, which uses tandem mass spectrometry, was developed by Steven Soldin. This is a very specific test and is not plagued by the false readings that make the currently used immunoassay test notoriously inaccurate.

Article about plastics - NRDC: Endocrine Disruption - Overview

And about iodine deficiency Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
    Iodine removes toxic chemicals fluoride, bromide, lead, aluminum, mercury and biological toxins, suppresses auto-immunity, strengthens the T-cell adaptive immune system, and protects against abnormal growth of bacteria in the stomach.

In addition to the thyroid and mammary glands, other tissues possess an iodine pump (the sodium/iodine symporter). Stomach mucosa, the salivary glands, and lactating mammary glands can concentrate iodine almost to the same degree as the thyroid gland (40-fold greater than its concentration in blood). Other tissues that have this pump include the ovaries; thymus gland, seat of the adaptive immune system; skin; choroid plexus in the brain, which makes cerebrospinal fluid; and joints, arteries and bone.
    Iodine was removed from breads, starting in 1960 and was replaced with bromide by the mid 1970s. Before then, the average American got about 1mg of iodine daily through breads and vegetables. But now we don't get enough iodine daily because poor farming practices have depleted the soil of minerals we don't get enough iodine from iodized table salt to compete with fluorine, chlorine and bromine. These sister minerals can expel iodine from the thyroid receptor sites and take over where they serve no useful purpose in the body.

Iodine has many roles in the thyroid gland. All the blood in your body goes through your thyroid every 17 minutes where the iodine will detox heavy metals, kill pathogens, and activate the thyroxine hormone which stimulates metabolism. Iodine also plays a role in binding with synthetic molecules which enables your body to identify them as trash and expel them. Otherwise, these molecules will mimic estrogen and create problems or get stored away in fat cells where they interfere with metabolism.
    It is relevant to discussion in some way, I just don't like SSRI's.

4w3 sx/so
    eNFJ Ni

I take Lexapro for nerve/body pain (not for anxiety) and I've noticed no change in my weight. I know that these sorts of medications CAN cause weight gain. :-\ I've noticed that my weight has stabilized, but I attributed it to muscle weight gain from exercising?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P