• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Marijuana

Have you ever used weed?

• Yes

Votes: 36 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Change of perception.
Help patients undergoing chemotherapy by inducing hunger or easing the pain of long term/life long diseases or illnesses.
Greater appreciation for nature and the Arts.

Talk about subjective.
I'm going to have to agree with Stanley Kubrick on this one.
He was rambling about drug use, and in that rant, he suggested that when everything is beautiful, nothing is beautiful.
I find many kinds of drug users, and pot heads in particular, have absolutely no talent for critical analysis what-so-ever.
I don't know if it's really "appreciating" the arts when you are in a short-term state of mind where everything becomes the same shade of gray...
The human mind revolves around comparative values. Something has to be stupid for something to be smart. Wrong for right, ugly for beautiful.
It seems that marijuana removes these vital boundaries.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you think it is addictive? Psychologically, yes - not physically
Do you think it is safer than alcohol, tobacco, and narcotics? Less safe than tobacco, more than alcohol and narcotics
Should it be legalized? yes
Do you think it serves a legitimate purpose as a medicinal substance? yes
Do you believe anyone has ever died from marijuana? no
What do you believe are the short and long term side effects of its use? short-term: short-term memory loss, mild paranoia, lethargy, ... long term: mainly physical, similar risks than tobacco
What benefits do you see in its use? relaxation
Are the advertising campaigns worth the millions taxpayers spend to keep kids from trying it? no way
What would you do if you found either your children or someone else's children using it? scold them, they're kids
Have you ever tried it? If not, do you think you ever will? If you have, was the experience worth breaking the law? Yes, smoked it regularly for years in the evening.
What personality type would be most likely to support the legalization of marijuana? xNxP

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Talk about subjective.
I'm going to have to agree with Stanley Kubrick on this one.
He was rambling about drug use, and in that rant, he suggested that when everything is beautiful, nothing is beautiful.

I agree with the bold part but,

I find many kinds of drug users, and pot heads in particular, have absolutely no talent for critical analysis what-so-ever.
I don't know if it's really "appreciating" the arts when you are in a short-term state of mind where everything becomes the same shade of gray...
The human mind revolves around comparative values. Something has to be stupid for something to be smart. Wrong for right, ugly for beautiful.
It seems that marijuana removes these vital boundaries.

I disagree with this part completely. When one explores the arts, I believe we make comparative choices, as you stated. But, whilst quality is subjective, as one begins to define quality, it seems to become more objective/concrete in the sense. For example, lets use time. Why have the Iliad/Odyssey remained enduring canonical classical texts for hundreds of years and novels found at the grocery stores have been forgotten? Or why have the works of Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, etc live on today whilst the hot new single from so and so is soon forgotten? Following from that, how can a drug user have less merit than a sober person over the quality of the Iliad/Odyssey or Bach? Though one's perception is changed, your still a part of reality.

And also, seeing as you have never tried it (I hate to say it), but trust me, you would understand (blind faith, I know).

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so, of course, I am going to dismiss that blind faith. :D

As for the effect of drugs on arts... I can start by saying that we have all heard many a time the person lamenting at opinions they held while hazed-out on pot.
In a way, it's like they didn't really believe it, but some other marijuana controlled persona did for the short time that it lasted.
"clouded judgement" as they say. Kubrick was trying to define the point that an artist could make any piece of amateurish schlock, and someone on mind-altering drugs might consider it as beautiful as a masterpiece(an idea especially aggravating to an obsessive perfectionist like Kubrick).
Matters are made worse by the fact that the person may recognize it as a piece of garbage once they are level-headed again.

I also read about how the effects of marijuana are very similar to a certain stages of consciousness, when one has half-fallen asleep or half-woken up.
It's because they create the same brain-wave patterns. I have been in that state of mind, and I could easily see how it might be similar to being stoned.
In those states, I too have come up with the meaning of life, only to know a few hours later that it was complete nonsense.

I might also suggest appreciating things without depending on a chemical for the effect...

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
so, of course, I am going to dismiss that blind faith. :D

As for the effect of drugs on arts... I can start by saying that we have all heard many a time the person lamenting at opinions they held while hazed-out on pot.
In a way, it's like they didn't really believe it, but some other marijuana controlled persona did for the short time that it lasted.
"clouded judgement" as they say. Kubrick was trying to define the point that an artist could make any piece of amateurish schlock, and someone on mind-altering drugs might consider it as beautiful as a masterpiece(an idea especially aggravating to an obsessive perfectionist like Kubrick).
Matters are made worse by the fact that the person may recognize it as a piece of garbage once they are level-headed again.

I also read about how the effects of marijuana are very similar to a certain stages of consciousness, when one has half-fallen asleep or half-woken up.
It's because they create the same brain-wave patterns. I have been in that state of mind, and I could easily see how it might be similar to being stoned.
In those states, I too have come up with the meaning of life, only to know a few hours later that it was complete nonsense.

I might also suggest appreciating things without depending on a chemical for the effect...

Fair enough.

I completely agree with you in the bold, but as a clarification:

THC is psychoactive, hence the change in perception. And a new perception may offer new insights. I hope that my statement(s) on "appreciation for the arts" didn't advocate a dependency on pot in order to appreciate things. But rather, one may appreciate already familiar things more so from their new perception and may provide new insights.

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
When I was in Guam I had a very traumatic incident occur that sent me to doctors and shrinks for therapy.

The doctors gave me valium for the stress. It did nothing.
I paid a hundred bucks for some sub-par joints and lit up. It was the only way I could get to sleep for almost 2 weeks. It was the first time I've used marijuana for medicinal purposes, though probably not the last. It really really helped me in that situation. That was in July. Before July I hadn't smoked in almost two years and I havent smoked since July.
I have nothing against people that use it recreationaly. I used to as well. Now though I see the medicinal benefits of it far outweigh the happy high. If I am ever stressed out to the point of not sleeping again, it'll be the first thing I go looking for.

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
Also I think it's funny that everyone who has never tried it thinks it's dangerous and addictive. It is definitely neither.

The smoke may be dangerous for your lungs but that is easily rectified by a grill and some butter. Fry it up and eat it down. I've found that ingested is way better than smoked anyway.

I never judge something I haven't tried or something that hasn't killed a friend or associate.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm curious what the general opinions on this forum are about this hallucinogen.

Firstmost, it is not a hallucinogen. An intoxicant, surely, but not a hallucinogen.

Do you think it is addictive?

In certain individuals it may produce an experience judged positively enough to compel further use, but this is a function of set and setting, social factors, psychological makeup, limbic function, and so on, as opposed to an intrinsic quality of cannabis itself.

Do you think it is safer than alcohol, tobacco, and narcotics?

Safety of any drug is a function of its administration, quantity used, and metabolic and neurological properties.

Based on that, I would say cannabis is safer than alcohol and safer than tobacco. "Narcotics" is a catch-all phrase that does not refer to a specific drug or class of drugs, so I cannot comment in regard to it.

Should it be legalized?

Inasmuch as I value liberty and do not support the criminalization of consensual activity among and between human beings, I think it should be.

If I also consider its use around the world over the last couple of millenia, and the social effects of that use, my decision is the same.

Do you think it serves a legitimate purpose as a medicinal substance?

Yes, but my thinking in this regard is opinion. It would be better to ask the chemotherapy and AIDS patients who have been able to eat and maintain body weight because of it, the glaucoma patients whose vision has been preserved because of it, and the infirm and ill who report their quality of life has been bettered through its use.

Do you believe anyone has ever died from marijuana?

From the direct consumption of cannabis itself? No.
From perceptual changes that led to inaccurate judgement resulting in some form of accident? Yes.
From its status of being underground as a result of it being classified as illegal, and the lawlessness that surrounds those things underground? Yes.

What do you believe are the short and long term side effects of its use?

Short Term: laughter, euphoria, relaxation, change of focus as it concerns thinking toward the creative and philosophical, increased appreciation of music, increased awareness of the senses, relief of menstrual cramps, reduced nausea, increase in appetite, slowing of speech and activity, tiredness and lethargy (with stale/oxidized cannabis), bloodshot eyes, dry mouth, interruption of linear memory, alteration of sense and awareness of time, coughing (when smoked), impairment of short-term memory, anxiety, sense of tension, increase in heart rate, headache, paranoia, clumsiness.

Long-Term: impairment of memory due to changes in the hippocampus, lowering of stress/anxiety threshold, possible exacerbation of asthma, change in timbre of laugh.

And yea, these were some combination of Erowid notes and my own experience.

What benefits do you see in its use?

In that one may find it pleasurable, the benefit would be a pleasurable experience. Beyond that, I do not know.

Are the advertising campaigns worth the millions taxpayers spend to keep kids from trying it?

Given the rate of use among youth, I would say the return on investment has been poor, and so I think it has not been worth it.

What would you do if you found either your children or someone else's children using it?

I would discuss it with them and share of my experience of having been a long-term cannabis smoker, and why I started and why I stopped.

Have you ever tried it?

Yes, I was a long-term user of it.

Was the experience worth breaking the law?

In as much as I did so, I suppose the answer is yes.

That said, I also engaged in a criminal act by being fellated in years past when it was illegal where I lived.

I do not hold much value for law that punishes consensual behavior.

What personality type would be most likely to support the legalization of marijuana?

Libertarian.

cheers,
Ian

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Also I think it's funny that everyone who has never tried it thinks it's dangerous and addictive. It is definitely neither.

Not everyone... THC is a psychoactive drug, so there is an element of addiction to it, but regardless, it is not dangerous (smoking it is foolish, as you say) and has a very low potential for addiction.

There is a tendency to users to justify their actions more than the opposite - I have no particular problem with marijuana and I consider safer than... say... cold medicine. Which I have been living on for the last week. I don't use it because I don't think it is wise; however I don't believe it is dangerous and I think the active ingredients can help people out in rare cases (relative to alternative medications).

Nor does others using it make it wise. Fifty years ago smoking was common - it was stupid then too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel that I have to do drugs now -- it's the only way I'll be able to fit in with the people that I'm attracted to.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think my mom doesn't care one way or the other if it's legalized, because she caught me one time. She was like as long as it's not anything dangerous, I don't approve because it's illegal, but their are worse things you can do.

btw I think she's INFJ (not sure though)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm so straight edge, I don't even know what 'smoke a bowl' means. Is that a bong? I hate how 'bong' sounds. I can't even think about being a pothead because of the fashion misfit culture associated with it. I do not like tie-dye. Or reggae. Whenever I go to Shattuck or thereabouts in Berkeley I'm like Dear Lord, please never let the rest of the country get like this.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
it just means to smoke a pipefull. The bowl is where the pot goes, you pack it in there, light, and inhale. If memory serves you can get ten or twelve drags from a bowl before it is, as they say in the colonies, "cashed."

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Do you think it is addictive? It can be psychologically addictive in some cases, I think.

Do you think it is safer than alcohol, tobacco, and narcotics? Not neccasarily. I think its safer than smokes, because you don't use it as much, and safer than narcotics for sure, but it depend son how much booze you're drinking. If its just people getting drunk on a weekend to have fun, then its not any safer than getting high for the same reason. I think that it probably isn't very good to get high every day to relax, like some people have a beer after work.

Should it be legalized? It could work legalized if it was totally government controlled with restrictions. The way that works is it won't have the crime lords making money off it.

Do you think it serves a legitimate purpose as a medicinal substance? I think it is an effective way for some patients with terminal illnesses cope with stress.

Do you believe anyone has ever died from marijuana? I once heard of a guy who smoked four grams a day and died after a year or so of that, but its a myth for all I know.

What do you believe are the short and long term side effects of its use? There are definitely short term health effects... I've heard a lot of people say they can't think right for many days after smoking it. I once read an article about a famous writer who once smoked fairly regularly but decided he'd have to quite if he was to be a succesful writer. Clearly Jack Kerouac proved that guy wrong :D

What benefits do you see in its use? I guess it helps some people relax and escape stress, but other than that I don't see any real benefits. Some people say it makes them more creative, but I doubt that...

Are the advertising campaigns worth the millions taxpayers spend to keep kids from trying it? Probably not. Kids who don't want to won't, and those who do will. Its just way to easy to get, and it just doesn't cause big enough problems for kids to seriously want to avoid as if its the plague or a used band-aid.

What would you do if you found either your children or someone else's children using it? If I found someone else's children using it, I wouldn't care. Actually that happens on a regular basis. My friends are other people's children, right? My children? I'd say that as long as they can still do the things they want and need to do it isn't a big problem. I'd probably still hand out some small punishment, just so they know I'm not totally cool with it, but I wouldn't want them to be afraid of me. I'd want to make sure they weren't doing it every day, and that they would try to only smoke on rare occasions and not try other, harder drugs.

Have you ever tried it? If not, do you think you ever will? If you have, was the experience worth breaking the law? I have not tried it. Will I? i don't know. I don't really have a moral issue with it, but I'm also not particularly interested in it. I also find that any stress I ever have can be completely removed by listning to really good music, or playing music. Really greta music can put you in a trance like, high state anyway... Highway 61 by Bob Dylan, A Love Supreme by Bob Dylan, Are you Experienced by Hendrix, for me these all put me in a somewhat mind-altered state at least, and they're all I need for now. I don't think I have any trouble appreciating art, either.

What personality type would be most likely to support the legalization of marijuana? I don't think any type is particularly likely to support it.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
it just means to smoke a pipefull. The bowl is where the pot goes, you pack it in there, light, and inhale. If memory serves you can get ten or twelve drags from a bowl before it is, as they say in the colonies, "cashed."

I used to know a guy who insisted, in complete sincerity, that he invented that term.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm so straight edge, I don't even know what 'smoke a bowl' means. Is that a bong? I hate how 'bong' sounds. I can't even think about being a pothead because of the fashion misfit culture associated with it. I do not like tie-dye. Or reggae. Whenever I go to Shattuck or thereabouts in Berkeley I'm like Dear Lord, please never let the rest of the country get like this.

So straightedge or so sheltered? I'm pretty sure you can find people of any fashion type associated with the drug.

There's no debate that alcohol is leagues ahead of marijuana in the negative aspects.

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've been told that one in eight people use it regularly in America and that one in three have at some point. Some of the biggest potheads I've met are corporate types.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I've been told that one in eight people use it regularly in America and that one in three have at some point. Some of the biggest potheads I've met are corporate types.

That is interesting. I knew all the business types at my old college loved to use and sell the stuff.

I find it hilarious that this thread's little poll shows that twice as many admit to having tried it as those who never have.