User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you ever used weed?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 67.92%
  • No

17 32.08%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Marijuana

MBTI
    INTJ

Isn't it impossible to overdose on marijuana? I have heard that no one has ever died from it, and that it is impossible to do so (directly).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Isn't it impossible to overdose on marijuana? I have heard that no one has ever died from it, and that it is impossible to do so (directly).
    I don't think there has ever been a case of a marijuana overdose. Any fatalities would have probably been the result of accidents while under the influence. But I would appreciate it if anyone could prove me wrong in that respect.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I'm curious about why your views are so stringent on this topic. Personally I don't like mind altering substances since I get much better natural highs, but I'm curious as to why you seem to demand such a strict adherence to the standard when it comes to marijuana. Is it because you consider it a lapse of discipline as well as a detriment to safety and security?
    Actually, I'm just curious about the basis for your opinion, Athenian200. A lot of the things are medically inaccurate (as bad as narcotics, by definition, would require it to be on par with cocaine and opium)...

Metamorphorsis;

Overdosing on THC would require an incredible amount of the drug. Incredible, as in... incredible. For all intents and purposes, no, you can't OD on THC. It's easier to OD on water.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm curious about why your views are so stringent on this topic. Personally I don't like mind altering substances since I get much better natural highs, but I'm curious as to why you seem to demand such a strict adherence to the standard when it comes to marijuana. Is it because you consider it a lapse of discipline as well as a detriment to safety and security?
    It's mainly because there's no real good (and all sorts of bad) that can come from substance abuse, in my opinion. But safety and security have something to do with it as well, and the fact that it's illegal makes it a matter of respect as well. If it had no impairing/detrimental effects at all, and were still illegal, I would have less of a problem with it, although I still wouldn't use it or encourage it's use.

Do you see some evidence of my Lawful Neutral alignment here?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I do beleive that the professor of a class I took on the psychobiology of drugs said that while theoretically it would be possible to overdose, it would take smoking a 20 foot large joint in order to succeed in overdosing!

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Do you see some evidence of my Lawful Neutral alignment here?
    *goes and looks it up*

Lawful Neutral
    The benefits of organization and regimentation outweigh any moral questions raised by their actions. (Translation: Law and order rule and any action they take to maintain the status quo is justified.)

Edit: I'll classify myself as a "True Neutral"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    It's mainly because there's no real good (and all sorts of bad) that can come from substance abuse, in my opinion. But safety and security have something to do with it as well, and the fact that it's illegal makes it a matter of respect as well. If it had no impairing/detrimental effects at all, and were still illegal, I would have less of a problem with it, although I still wouldn't use it or encourage it's use.
    There could be considered an effect of cleaning out the gene pool-theoretically. (Beware, chaotic neutral at work.)
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Do you think it is addictive?
    Do you think it is safer than alcohol, tobacco, and narcotics?
    Should it be legalized?
    Do you think it serves a legitimate purpose as a medicinal substance?
    Do you believe anyone has ever died from marijuana?
    What do you believe are the short and long term side effects of its use?
    What benefits do you see in its use?
    Are the advertising campaigns worth the millions taxpayers spend to keep kids from trying it?
    What would you do if you found either your children or someone else's children using it?
    Have you ever tried it? If not, do you think you ever will? If you have, was the experience worth breaking the law?
    What personality type would be most likely to support the legalization of marijuana?

1: No. It is absolutely not a chemically addictive agent. However, like all things, it can be psychologically addictive.

2: Yes. This is a bit of a difficult, apples and oranges kind of comparison, but yes, I think it is safer than the other drugs.

3: Yes. I'm not a fan of pot use, but I think the anti-marijuana campaigns are an enormous distraction. There are vastly more dangerous(higher priority) drugs on the market, that are more isolated and less common(easier targets). It would make a lot more sense if authorities laid off of weed and went for the real problems.

4: Maybe. I haven't researched that enough.

5: Well, statistically, there must have been someone with some weird disorder that died from it. I think a few more must have died from pot related accidents, but I don't think the numbers are very high.

6: What do we count as side-effects? I can say that the long-term drawbacks certainly include reduced memory span and degenerating focus.

7: None? I don't tend to consider subjective enjoyment a benefit, and like I said, I don't know enough about its medical use.

8: NO. The advertising campaigns are a complete waste of money and I dare say they might actually motivate kids to take pot.

9: First of all, my approach to my own kids would be very different from the other kids. I don't care about the other kid. As for my own... I'd be kind of disappointed. I'd talk to them about why they were doing it. I'd mainly want them to stop just so they could avoid legal trouble, but I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about it.

10: I've never tried it, and I almost surely never will. I do happen to know plenty of people that have or do, Including my parents...

11: I don't know if any type would be more likely to legalize pot.
    If anything, there's a good guess that it would be a Perceiver as oppose to a Judge. It would be easier to specify a type that uses marijuana than one that supports it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    There could be considered an effect of cleaning out the gene pool-theoretically. (Beware, chaotic neutral at work.)
    Actually, that was the one benefit I thought of when prompted:

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200
    None, unless you count the fact that it helps "weed" out people who don't think ahead and make bad decisions.
    That's an interesting way to look at it... just let all the drugs go, let people harm themselves on them, and then the remaining people will think twice about taking them. Clever. My idea was based on protecting them from themselves, but perhaps I'm just being too idealistic about people's ability to be trained into doing what's best for them...

MBTI
    INFP

As a preface, I smoke maybe once or twice every two months.

Do you think it is addictive?
    No, but I think you (as in your mind) can make it addictive. Addiction implies a physical dependence on a particular substance. It's no different than ingesting alcohol in order to socialize. Huh. Interesting tidbit: ORIGIN from Latin addicere ‘assign’.

Do you think it is safer than alcohol, tobacco, and narcotics?
    Yes.

Should it be legalized?
    Yes.

Do you think it serves a legitimate purpose as a medicinal substance?

Yes. I imagine marijuana has done wonders for individuals undergoing chemotherapy or any individuals suffering from long term and life long pain.

Do you believe anyone has ever died from marijuana?
    I presume you mean just from ingesting or smoking it? If so, then no.

What do you believe are the short and long term side effects of its use?
    That's a rather subjective question, so I'll just tell you how I experience the side effects:

While high: Inquisitive, bouts of laughter, mundane things seem significant, introspective, blissful, greater appreciation the Arts, relaxed, emotional, my conscious sounds, mute-my current consciousness takes precedence over speaking.

The following days: I'd also have to say that it depends on the quality. As far as my body feels, the bad strains have left me feeling lethargic for a few days, whilst the good strains have left me feeling fine.

If one were to have it everyday? Again, subjective since everyone reacts to different quantities and substances differently. I've seen minds completely mashed and others you wouldn't even of known if they did or not.

What benefits do you see in its use?
    Change of perception.
    Help patients undergoing chemotherapy by inducing hunger or easing the pain of long term/life long diseases or illnesses.
    Greater appreciation for nature and the Arts.

Are the advertising campaigns worth the millions taxpayers spend to keep kids from trying it?
    No.

What would you do if you found either your children or someone else's children using it?

I'd realize that I'm in reality. If I came across either my children or other people, I'd just act as I normally do. No need to make them paranoid or feeling like they have done something absolutely wrong.

If you have, was the experience worth breaking the law?
    Laws only apply to me when needed.

What personality type would be most likely to support the legalization of marijuana?
    On a broad holistic view? I'd say every type.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    4: Maybe. I haven't researched that enough.
    Try here. I've found it as the most neutral (and best) site regarding drug information.