User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    1) It can't be as bad as Pepsi because it doesn't contain caffeine or carbonation.

2) Natural fruit juice is nowhere near as bad as additive hfcs.

3) Yes, I understand that some parents give their toddlers too much juice. I can agree with that.
    It has to do with the way the liver metabolizes it as is pointed out in the OP video lecture by the researcher at the USF Medical Center.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    It has to do with the way the liver metabolizes it as is pointed out in the OP video lecture by the researcher at the USF Medical Center.
    Caffeine. Carbonation. Additive sugars. None of these things are in juice.

I already agreed with you that some parents give their toddlers way too much juice. You're being really silly.

Too much protein can also cause your kidneys to fail. Too much of anything is not good.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I really think you're falling too much for the sensationalist news articles, slippy. There is DEFINITELY truth in these articles, but to compare juice to Pepsi is irrational. Use your brain.
    The news article is simply a correlation to information presented by an academic at a credible university in the OP.

How about presenting information to counter the Dr.'s statements in his lecture vs. resorting to acting like an ass hat by calling people stupid or irrational.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    The news article is simply a correlation to information presented by an academic at a credible university.

How about presenting information to counter the Dr.'s statements in his lecture vs. resorting to acting like an ass hat by calling people stupid or irrationally falling for sensationalism.
    I am presenting information - in the form of explaining to you why juice can be overused, but is not quite as bad as soda.

Dr. Atkins was also considered credible. Until all of those people started having health problems from following his fantastic no carb, high fat, protein laden diet.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Fructose is the sugar that is in fruit. Fruit is what we make juice from. Therefore, juice is HIGH FRUCTOSE. If you eat the fruit, you're getting enough fiber along with the fructose to slow the sugar absorption into your system as you eat the fruit. If you drink juice, you're dumping fructose into your system. You should limit your juice intake for the same reason you limit high fructose corn syrup. Fruit is better for you than just the juice from the fruit.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Fructose is the sugar that is in fruit. Fruit is what we make juice from. Therefore, juice is HIGH FRUCTOSE. If you eat the fruit, you're getting enough fiber along with the fructose to slow the sugar absorption into your system as you eat the fruit. If you drink juice, you're dumping fructose into your system. You should limit your juice intake for the same reason you limit high fructose corn syrup. Fruit is better for you than just the juice from the fruit.
    Yes, that's my understanding of the topic as well.

I use a simple rule of thumb when weighing dietary research.

Is the food in question something my ancestors ate and/or drank? If the answer is no then I tend to be cautious.

Or if the researcher says that something people have obviously eaten for thousands of years is bad for health, I don't believe them. In that the body is well adapted to metabolizing that stuff.

I'm sold on the anti-sugar messages but can anyone say anything about the zero sugar beverages or products, like arent the sugar replacements or substitutes as dangerous?
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

Sheriff of Fabletown... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me...

I've never been nice my whole life, but I'll do my best... to be sweet...

A Gentleman is simply a patient Wolf...

On a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man; in a dusty black coat with a red right hand...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Don't eat too much. I wish more products would have less sugar in them without adding fake sugar.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

Melodies from Mars
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ok. So.. eat fatty and fiber related foods before you eat sugar if you absolutely need to. Like eggs or rice or vegetables.

Or just sweeten the things you already eat so that you're not eating plain sweets.