I got on the elevator yesterday on the way home and was confronted by the sweet smell of burnt popcorn. At the next stop me and this guy started talking about how much we hate the smell of burnt popcorn, blah blah blah. Then he told me he saw on the news that this guy got lung cancer from eating too much popcorn. Of course I didn't believe him, but now that I look it up, it's true!!
But what's even better...(CBS/AP) Wayne Watson loved microwave popcorn so much he would eat at least two bags each night, breathing in the steam from the just-opened package, until doctors told him it may have made him sick...
Popcorn flavoring contains the chemical diacetyl, which has been linked to lung damage in factory workers testing hundreds of bags of microwave popcorn per day and inhaling its fumes. The chemical is a naturally occurring compound that gives butter its flavor and is also found in cheese and even wine, according to the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.
It's been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a flavor ingredient, but hundreds of workers have sued flavoring makers in recent years for lung damage.
A Missouri Law Firm With A National Role in Popcorn Lung Litigation
Because of our extensive experience helping individuals suffering from popcorn lung disease, our law firm has developed a national reputation as a source of information and advice...
If you have been exposed to Diacetyl and suspect you might have popcorn lung disease, contact an experienced lawyer at the Independence, Missouri, office of Humphrey, Farrington & McClain, P.C. We have the experience and determination to help you obtain justice.
Free initial consultation. Call today