• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you use water filters?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just found out the one I have filters very little. Brita filters out chlorine and very little else apparently. Which means I've been drinking fluoride and copper all this time, now I have too much copper in my body.

So I'm looking for a filter that can filter out everything, recommendations welcome.
For those that do have filters what do you like about the filter, is it effective and does the water taste better?
For those that haven't thought about it, does tap water taste metallic or do you notice any difference from tap water or bottled water?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. I have been drinking tap water on two continents and 10 different U.S. states my whole life, and I am the picture of health. :cheese:

Waste of time and money.

A tool for the neurotic! :rofl1:

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
No. I have been drinking tap water on two continents and 10 different U.S. states my whole life, and I am the picture of health. :cheese:

Waste of time and money.

Agreed.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
also agreeing with Halla- I even got off a plane in South America and drank a glass of tap water with my fresh fruit and mystery meat and was fine :D

anyways, flouride is good for teeth and helps prevent cavities and cuts your dental bill!

nonetheless, we have a Brita filter in the refrigerator, which is there for the purpose that it keeps the water nice and cold...

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I filter out chlorine from both tap and shower.

Don't paticularly like the way it smells or taste.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
also agreeing with Halla- I even got off a plane in South America and drank a glass of tap water with my fresh fruit and mystery meat and was fine :D

anyways, flouride is good for teeth and helps prevent cavities and cuts your dental bill!

nonetheless, we have a Brita filter in the refrigerator, which is there for the purpose that it keeps the water nice and cold...

How many fillings do you have? I've drank tap water most of my life and it has yet to prevent a cavity.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
yeah, when I lived in Socal- water there is terrible- had to keep changing my brita filter

Apparently there's a lot of steroids in the water because of all the meds people use down there- I'm not joking

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, when I lived in Socal- water there is terrible- had to keep changing my brita filter

Apparently there's a lot of steroids in the water because of all the meds people use down there- I'm not joking

Yup, there's also lots of prozac and other drugs making it into the water supply.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Water where I'm at is pretty bad quality.

It fizzes on rare occasions. Not entirely sure why it isn't clear either.

Got an Aqua Optima filter, certainly tastes a lot better. Hopefully has some long term health benefits too.

I've heard of hormones and fertilizers being found in a lot of tap water as well.

Question is, how effectively do filters deal with that?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
our fridge has a water filter that you change every six months but before I lived in this apartment I couldn't be bother with a water filter, and fuck me if I was gonna buy bottled water.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Waste of time and money.

Having a strong immune system you will filter a lot of the neurotoxins out of your body. When the immune system is compromised this is harder to do. And fluoride is a neurotoxin. Plus your will and the love of your family do have a flow on effect towards your health.

If your adrenals are in good health and you wonder at the person next to you who struggles to gain energy after exercise. You'd be using your reference of health and be puzzled why others struggle.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Or those who don't like the taste of chlorine!

Well I wouldn't be too quick to scoff.

DANGERS OF CHLORINE
Dr Z Rona MD MSc "Most people never give it a thought. After all, our elected public officials keep assuring us that chlorinated city tap water is completely safe for human consumption. Numerous scientific studies report that chlorinated tap water is a skin irritant and can be associated with rashes like eczema. Chlorinated water can destroy polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E in the body while generating toxins capable of free radical damage (oxidation). This might explain why supplementation of the diet with essential fatty acids like flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil and antioxidants like vitamin E, selenium and others helps so many cases of eczema and dry skin.

"Chlorinated water destroys much of the intestinal flora, the friendly bacteria that help in the digestion of food and which protects the body from harmful pathogens. These bacteria are also responsible for the manufacture of several important vitamins like vitamin B12 and vitamin K. It is not uncommon for chronic skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, seborrhea and eczema to clear up or to be significantly improved by switching to unchlorinated drinking water and supplementing the diet with lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus.

"Chlorinated water contains chemical compounds called trihalomethanes which are carcinogens resulting from the combination of chlorine with compounds in water. These chemicals, also known as organochlorides, do not degrade very well and are generally stored in the fatty tissues of the body (breast, other fatty areas, mother's milk, blood and semen). Organochlorides can cause mutations by altering DNA, suppress immune system function and interfere with the natural controls of cell growth.

"Chlorine has been documented to aggravate asthma, especially in those children who make use of chlorinated swimming pools. Several studies also link chlorine and chlorinated by-products to a greater incidence of bladder, breast and bowel cancer as well as malignant melanoma. One study even links the use of chlorinated tap water to congenital cardiac anomalies.

"Anything you can do to filter tap and shower water that eliminates or even minimizes chlorine would certainly be helpful and possibly curative for some immune system problems. The use of at source water filtration devices is increasingly popular and affordable. Discuss their use with your health care practitioner".

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many people are able to stop buying anti-dandruff shampoo by simply filtering chlorine out of their shower water, and choosing a non SLS shampoo.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Some study was done back in the 50s that came to the conclusion that fluoride prevents cavities so most municipalities put it in water supply. I've read conspiracy theories though that say the fluoride is a pacification technique that is used on the public. I had a little too much chlorine when I was younger on a swim team.

I tried Aquasana. And liked it alot at first. But eventually it seemed like each filter had a shorter and shorter life. Plus the unit kind of fell apart eventually.

Now I just go with Pur.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Chlorine doesn't taste much like pool water or does it? I haven't tasted soap.

I currently use a Culligan FM-15R on the faucet. I like it better than the Pur 3-stage, in that it hangs at the same level as the faucet vs. the Pur design that makes it difficult to fill a taller pitcher. It's a little less expensive vs. the Pur but not by much. A filter will last for two months, cost average of about 8 dollars per month.

For the shower using a Sprite Slimline, which works very well and is reasonably priced.
Average cost is about $5 dollars per month if two people are using, it'll last four months. Just one? about six months.