• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you use water filters?

vctrhdgs

also agreeing with Halla- I even got off a plane in South America and drank a glass of tap water with my fresh fruit and mystery meat and was fine :D

anyways, flouride is good for teeth and helps prevent cavities and cuts your dental bill!

nonetheless, we have a Brita filter in the refrigerator, which is there for the purpose that it keeps the water nice and cold...

Floride is good for the teeth, but not in our drinking water. :doh:
I'd rather be safe with my water... get it tested and then find out what I need to keep it clean...
Cheers

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How to Remove Fluoride from Drinking Water

A reverse osmosis filter is incredibly expensive. It'd be cheaper to dig a well.

Thanks for that, so to properly filter I need reverse osmosis and they are expensive as, fun times. I know what I want for next Christmas, looks like I have to try alternatives but it sucks because I want fluoride out of my drinking water (bottled and tap), toothpaste, medicine, and foods and yet its continually added and why for goodness sakes.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wanted to also point out if fluoride is such a safe substance, why was it used in concentration camps during war. Why is there a warning label on the back of the toothpaste’s that advise to discontinue use if irritant or swallowed ring your Dr or poisons center? Why is it that European countries are fluoride free and their teeth are fine. Why haven't my teeth decayed after I stopped using fluoride toothpaste 5 years ago. Why is fluoride a thyroid suppressant? Just like amalgams why are we using substances that are more harmful to the body than beneficial. Personally I believe that there is a lot of misinformation. If something has been around for 50-100 years the bizarre belief has to be that its tested and proved its good for your health.

SPEEDING UP THE AGING PROCESS
There has been a lot of research that has tried to show that fluoride is indeed an essential nutrient. None of these studies proved this; not one person has ever been found with a fluoride deficiency. Quite the contrary, fluoride interferes adversely with the body's normal biochemistry, causing disruption and damage. This activity is what would be expected from what is now categorized as "poisons". It should not surprise us then, to discover that fluoride is frequently used as a rodenticide and insecticide!

IMMUNE SYSTEM DAMAGE
a) Fluoride decreases the migration rate of lymphocytes (leukotaxis) - as little as 0.2 parts per million fluorides (the amount found in the blood of people living in fluoridated areas) is enough to inhibit the movement of while blood cells.
b) Researchers have found that fluoride can increase the urinary levels of cyclic AMP (adenosine monophosphate). Cyclic AMP inhibits the migration rate of lymphocytes, as well as the ability of white blood cells to destroy foreign agents such as bacteria, viruses, etc. (phagocytosis). These phagocytic cells secrete a chemical called superoxide, which aids the ultimate destruction of the foreign agents - fluoride inhibits the synthesis of superoxide, therefore depleting the ability of the white blood cells to properly destroy these foreign agents.

GENETIC DAMAGE
a) Researchers have reported that 1-ppm fluoride inhibits DNA repair enzyme activity by 50%. When a cell is damaged, it provides a group of enzymes called the DNA repair enzyme system which repairs the DNA damage. Fluoride inhibits these repair mechanisms, leading to an increase in genetic or chromosomal damage. Most of the damage is in the testes cells, which could lead to birth defects and other metabolic disorders which can be passed on from generation to generation.

And we most certainly consume more than 1ppb a day.
If that's true than that sucks doesn't it.

lookingglassworld

MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
3w4
:steam:Water around here smells like a sewer!! Tastes about as bad as well!! I don't care what they say,give me bottled water anyday!!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Having a strong immune system you will filter a lot of the neurotoxins out of your body. When the immune system is compromised this is harder to do. And fluoride is a neurotoxin. Plus your will and the love of your family do have a flow on effect towards your health.

If your adrenals are in good health and you wonder at the person next to you who struggles to gain energy after exercise. You'd be using your reference of health and be puzzled why others struggle.

I am thankful for my good health, and do not belittle the struggle of others. I've lost friends to HIV/AIDS and to cancer. I've seen what having a suppressed immune system can do to the human body up front and personal. The only thing I can say is that each of us have to setup our lives in a manner that is beneficial to our unique condition. Unfortunately that means that some people are going to go through time and money to offset a few societal standards, such as the quality of drinking water. I just read this on Fluoride, and agree it is toxic and stupid to put in the water. Thanks for pointing that out.

WikiAnswers - Why is fluoride bad for you

Well I wouldn't be too quick to scoff.

DANGERS OF CHLORINE

Not to sound rude, but I wouldn't be too quick to refute. OK, I think you are neglecting to identify the most obvious contribution of chlorine to driknking water, and also to human civilization:

"Brigadier General Carl Rogers Darnall (December 25, 1867, Weston, Texas, USA - January 18, 1941, Washington, D.C., USA) was a United States Army chemist and surgeon credited with originating the technique of liquid chlorination of drinking water. It has been plausibly asserted that more lives have been saved and more disease prevented by this contribution to sanitation than by any other single achievement in medicine or public health."

FROM: Carl Rogers Darnall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, I don't know that I agree with chlorine being a menace. I like the taste of chlorine, because I know that a myriad of little microorganisms that could make me sick or kill me are not in my water, it's like the taste of an insurance policy. Delicious! :drool:

Thanks for that, so to properly filter I need reverse osmosis and they are expensive as, fun times. I know what I want for next Christmas, looks like I have to try alternatives but it sucks because I want fluoride out of my drinking water (bottled and tap), toothpaste, medicine, and foods and yet its continually added and why for goodness sakes.

Here is a link to an online supplier of discount reverse osmosis filtration systems. I saw one on the home page for $200. They even have a countertop model so you don't have to get all the plumbing donw under your sink (or elsewhere). I had another link to a similar supplier, I'll try to dig it out for you so you can compare the two.

Replacement water filters, reverse osmosis membranes and reverse osmosis systems water filter repair parts

Have a good day!

:happy:

-Halla

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I just found out the one I have filters very little. Brita filters out chlorine and very little else apparently. Which means I've been drinking fluoride and copper all this time, now I have too much copper in my body.

So I'm looking for a filter that can filter out everything, recommendations welcome.
For those that do have filters what do you like about the filter, is it effective and does the water taste better?
For those that haven't thought about it, does tap water taste metallic or do you notice any difference from tap water or bottled water?

You have too much copper in your body? From drinking tap water?

Perhaps you should inquire about this issue with your local government. I don't think this should be happening...(assuming that your water is subject to the federal regulations that are imposed within the U.S.).

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have too much copper in your body? From drinking tap water?

Perhaps you should inquire about this issue with your local government. I don't think this should be happening...(assuming that your water is subject to the federal regulations that are imposed within the U.S.).

A friend of mine lives in a really old house that has copper pipes installed, which is the reason he doesn't drink tap water.
Maybe it's against regulations, but replacing water pipes is expensive.

Apart from that, I couldn't see myself buying bottled water ...
I can remember I once read an article about a study concerning bottled water and hygiene issues. A lot of the tested brands (of which some are quite well-known) allegedly have a much higher concentration of fecal bacteria and other disgusting stuff in them than the tap water around here. - Quite yucky, to say the least.
Apart from that, bottled water is horribly overpriced. That, and the above, are very convincing arguments never to buy bottled water.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my fridge has a built in water filter so I use that to drink water, but other wise I just use tap, the water here isn't really that bad. before I lived here and didn't have a filter I drank tap, though my room mates always insisted on wasting their money on bottled water, and I'm like if you're that paranoid by a fucking filter you'll save money in the long run.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am thankful for my good health, and do not belittle the struggle of others. I've lost friends to HIV/AIDS and to cancer. I've seen what having a suppressed immune system can do to the human body up front and personal. The only thing I can say is that each of us have to setup our lives in a manner that is beneficial to our unique condition. Unfortunately that means that some people are going to go through time and money to offset a few societal standards, such as the quality of drinking water. I just read this on Fluoride, and agree it is toxic and stupid to put in the water. Thanks for pointing that out.

WikiAnswers - Why is fluoride bad for you

Not to sound rude, but I wouldn't be too quick to refute. OK, I think you are neglecting to identify the most obvious contribution of chlorine to driknking water, and also to human civilization:

"Brigadier General Carl Rogers Darnall (December 25, 1867, Weston, Texas, USA - January 18, 1941, Washington, D.C., USA) was a United States Army chemist and surgeon credited with originating the technique of liquid chlorination of drinking water. It has been plausibly asserted that more lives have been saved and more disease prevented by this contribution to sanitation than by any other single achievement in medicine or public health."

FROM: Carl Rogers Darnall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, I don't know that I agree with chlorine being a menace. I like the taste of chlorine, because I know that a myriad of little microorganisms that could make me sick or kill me are not in my water, it's like the taste of an insurance policy. Delicious! :drool:

Here is a link to an online supplier of discount reverse osmosis filtration systems. I saw one on the home page for $200. They even have a countertop model so you don't have to get all the plumbing donw under your sink (or elsewhere). I had another link to a similar supplier, I'll try to dig it out for you so you can compare the two.

Replacement water filters, reverse osmosis membranes and reverse osmosis systems water filter repair parts

Have a good day!

:happy:

-Halla

Thanks for the link Halla74. :) A healthy price for reverse osmosis. This will help my mother too who can't drink water, she is allergic to chloride and I keep telling her fluoride is awful business too, she has gluten intolerance.

Yeah I'll give you the Chlorine bit just this once. :smile:
But I still have my reservations. Not as bad as fluoride, that I have to say is a bit insidious.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Alkaline water ionizers are the best one. You must try this!!!!

This sounds interesting, will look into this, thanks Cathleen. :)

Teslashock, if they are old copper pipes it'll get into the water and its different regulations in Australia I'd say.

Mad Hatter, yeah water bottles, bah. I read somewhere it takes more water to make a plastic bottle than to fill it. Plus some companies add fluoride to bottle water too which is a shame, sometimes even more than is recommended.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Our fridge has a filter for the water/ice but our tap water is well water. It's very good.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This sounds interesting, will look into this, thanks Cathleen. :)

Don't look too fast, there are alot of sites out there indicating that "alkaline water ionizers" are a scam. Believe it.

"Ionized" and alkaline water: snake oil on tap

Reverse Osmosis at filtration at $200 is very inexpensive. Think about it this way, you use it EVERY DAY.

$200/365 days per year = 55 Cents Per Day!!! It pays for itself in the first year if you get relief from any health related issues you are actually experiencing as a result of sensisitivity to your municipal water.

Reverse osmosis filters have been around a loooooong time. Hardcore aquarist with reef tanks that cost tens of thousands of dollars use reverse osmosis filters. They do not use alkaline water ionizers. Be careful, stick with the tried and true methods in this world. There are a lot of douchebags out there. :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't filter but I have yummy lake water.. which is scary in it's own way.

I do know that I've been places where the water doesn't taste very good. There are also lots of people around this area that filter their water. I'm just too lazy.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The short answer is no.

I drink tap water. My immune system could take over Fiji :D

I drink a test tube full of Ebola virus every morning, just to keep my immune system on the ready. :pumpyouup:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like the taste and smell of chlorine, but I really don't drink a lot of water. We drink tea brewed from tap water and I cook with tap water. We buy bottled water because our daughter likes the way it tastes and it's cheaper and way better for her than soda, etc. Totally worth under $4 every two weeks for a case.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Damnit Halla now I have to go find something more dangerous than Ebola to drink. :D

Just go to the CDC lab in Atlanta. I'm sure they have a prototype room with some really bad shit in it. Or better yet, got to the U.S. Army Medical Command in San Antonio, Texas. They probably have super-duper-diarhhea-flu-that-makes-you-bleed-out-of-your-face-kill-your-chickenbag-virus. :shock:

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Normally I wouldn't, however the chlorine count int he water here is insane. It's like drinking pool water, except with about 3X the chlorine in it -_-

So I gots a water cooler and put a filter into it so I can keep a few cups filtered at a time for cooking with.