User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

yeah, when I lived in Socal- water there is terrible- had to keep changing my brita filter

Apparently there's a lot of steroids in the water because of all the meds people use down there- I'm not joking
    Holy sh**t a talking muffin!

All shotguns and lace.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by thinkinjazz View Post
    yeah, when I lived in Socal- water there is terrible- had to keep changing my brita filter

Apparently there's a lot of steroids in the water because of all the meds people use down there- I'm not joking
    Yup, there's also lots of prozac and other drugs making it into the water supply.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Water where I'm at is pretty bad quality.

It fizzes on rare occasions. Not entirely sure why it isn't clear either.

Got an Aqua Optima filter, certainly tastes a lot better. Hopefully has some long term health benefits too.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkinjazz View Post

I've heard of hormones and fertilizers being found in a lot of tap water as well.

Question is, how effectively do filters deal with that?

MBTI
    yupp

our fridge has a water filter that you change every six months but before I lived in this apartment I couldn't be bother with a water filter, and fuck me if I was gonna buy bottled water.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    No. I have been drinking tap water on two continents and 10 different U.S. states my whole life, and I am the picture of health.

Waste of time and money.

A tool for the neurotic!
    Having a strong immune system you will filter a lot of the neurotoxins out of your body. When the immune system is compromised this is harder to do. And fluoride is a neurotoxin. Plus your will and the love of your family do have a flow on effect towards your health.

If your adrenals are in good health and you wonder at the person next to you who struggles to gain energy after exercise. You'd be using your reference of health and be puzzled why others struggle.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Or those who don't like the taste of chlorine!
    Well I wouldn't be too quick to scoff.

DANGERS OF CHLORINE
    Dr Z Rona MD MSc "Most people never give it a thought. After all, our elected public officials keep assuring us that chlorinated city tap water is completely safe for human consumption. Numerous scientific studies report that chlorinated tap water is a skin irritant and can be associated with rashes like eczema. Chlorinated water can destroy polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E in the body while generating toxins capable of free radical damage (oxidation). This might explain why supplementation of the diet with essential fatty acids like flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil and antioxidants like vitamin E, selenium and others helps so many cases of eczema and dry skin.

"Chlorinated water destroys much of the intestinal flora, the friendly bacteria that help in the digestion of food and which protects the body from harmful pathogens. These bacteria are also responsible for the manufacture of several important vitamins like vitamin B12 and vitamin K. It is not uncommon for chronic skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, seborrhea and eczema to clear up or to be significantly improved by switching to unchlorinated drinking water and supplementing the diet with lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus.

"Chlorinated water contains chemical compounds called trihalomethanes which are carcinogens resulting from the combination of chlorine with compounds in water. These chemicals, also known as organochlorides, do not degrade very well and are generally stored in the fatty tissues of the body (breast, other fatty areas, mother's milk, blood and semen). Organochlorides can cause mutations by altering DNA, suppress immune system function and interfere with the natural controls of cell growth.

"Chlorine has been documented to aggravate asthma, especially in those children who make use of chlorinated swimming pools. Several studies also link chlorine and chlorinated by-products to a greater incidence of bladder, breast and bowel cancer as well as malignant melanoma. One study even links the use of chlorinated tap water to congenital cardiac anomalies.

"Anything you can do to filter tap and shower water that eliminates or even minimizes chlorine would certainly be helpful and possibly curative for some immune system problems. The use of at source water filtration devices is increasingly popular and affordable. Discuss their use with your health care practitioner".

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Many people are able to stop buying anti-dandruff shampoo by simply filtering chlorine out of their shower water, and choosing a non SLS shampoo.

MBTI
    YaYa

Some study was done back in the 50s that came to the conclusion that fluoride prevents cavities so most municipalities put it in water supply. I've read conspiracy theories though that say the fluoride is a pacification technique that is used on the public. I had a little too much chlorine when I was younger on a swim team.

I tried Aquasana. And liked it alot at first. But eventually it seemed like each filter had a shorter and shorter life. Plus the unit kind of fell apart eventually.

Now I just go with Pur.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Is that soap-taste in the water here chlorine, or is that just soap?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Chlorine doesn't taste much like pool water or does it? I haven't tasted soap.

I currently use a Culligan FM-15R on the faucet. I like it better than the Pur 3-stage, in that it hangs at the same level as the faucet vs. the Pur design that makes it difficult to fill a taller pitcher. It's a little less expensive vs. the Pur but not by much. A filter will last for two months, cost average of about 8 dollars per month.

For the shower using a Sprite Slimline, which works very well and is reasonably priced.
    Average cost is about $5 dollars per month if two people are using, it'll last four months. Just one? about six months.