User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Shaving

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Hey Halla, is there a way to get Retin-A without having to go to a doctor? Here, it's almost impossible to see a doctor even for emergency issues, so going for Retin-A is unlikely. They're just too busy.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Heya big guy!
    Sup, B? Teaching people how to shave?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Sup, B? Teaching people how to shave?
    Nah...the women and Halla have it well in hand...I don't need to do anything...

P.S. You don't call, you never write...She put you in a coma or something?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Nah...the women and Halla have it well in hand...I don't need to do anything...

P.S. You don't call, you never write...She put you in a coma or something?
    She's the bomb. So far, the best relationship I've had...

But I'm shit at staying in touch. (did I tell you I'm infp-ish? lol).

As I recall, you have my # too. Kettle!

MBTI
    YaYa

Everyone is different.

The whole shower thing never worked for me. I'd always cut myself up or get razor burn.

Had to switch to electric razor. I still can't shave everyday. No way to avoid razor burn. I'm a lazy ass anyway so I wouldn't want to shave everyday.

Experiment. See what works for you.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    She's the bomb. So far, the best relationship I've had...

But I'm shit at staying in touch. (did I tell you I'm infp-ish? lol).

As I recall, you have my # too. Kettle!
    I believe I called last time...Pot!

And Yes you do suck at keeping in touch...almost as much as I do...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I believe I called last time...Pot!

And Yes you do suck at keeping in touch...almost as much as I do...
    Dammit. Correct. I'll call soon. Mom's here this weekend.

And you have a PM!

MBTI
    ISTJ

I used to have terrible razor burn..... (and still do) However, to combat this I have two things:

1) Electric Razor
    2)Aftershave cooling gel

With these two things, razor burn is at a minimum, I still get it but it doesn't hurt nearly as much. Also, I'll admit the electric razor doesn't get as close as a straight blade, but definitely close enough! Good luck!
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Nice advice guys! I knew I'd get some good feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

4. Allow your face time to get used to the shaving method. It doesn't always happen in weeks, it can take months.

5. Take lots of Vitamin E suppliments, and rub Vitamin E Skin Care cream on your face after every shave in order to help heal the inevitable damage as quickly as possible.

Here's hoping you can save up for laser hair removal or something soon, if your skin is anything like mine. Shaving the face is awful, and I'm never going to be comfortable in my own skin as long as the roots are intact. My skin is so transparent you can see the roots anyway, so I don't benefit much from shaving. Sometimes I tweeze the darkest hairs before shaving when I want to look as presentable as possible.
    Haha, I wouldn't want to get my facial hair permanently removed. That would be horrible. What if I get a big scar later in life that I want to cover up? I do hope that my face will get used to it though. I've been spot drying my face with a towel after I run the razor over a portion. This seems to keep the hot water from irritating my skin after the razor scrapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'm a man, and the only thing I don't shave are my pubes.

OK, I have 20 years experience fighting razor burn...just like yours.

It's most likely your skin. If I shave my whole face against the grain I will look like a truck ran over my face and neck 24 hours later.

This can be genetic. My Dad used to get exemptions from adhering to U.S. military shaving protocols in the 60's-80's bhecause he has the same problem.

Yes.

(1) First of all Kyuuei is right about shaving after a hot shower, open pores are easier to deal with.

(2) You might have rosacea. Some souirces say that between 1/4 to 1/3 of the population have it to some degree. If this is the case, the mechanical irritation of the razor blade AND the hot water used at ther end of the shave are both irritants and can cause an outbreak.

(3) Use cold water at the end of your shave and see what happens. This alleviates my sensitivity a little bit.

(4) Slather your neck/problem areas with hydrocortisone cream immediately after your shave. That will calm it down by inhibiting the eruption by suppressing the ability of your epidermis to express a histamine response/ increased blood flow.

(5) If you can later, use some type of antibacterial cream (not ointment or you will look greasy) as prescription rosacea meds are essentially antibiotics.

(6) Don't put too much pressure on the razor!

(7) Don't use alcohol based after shave products.

(8) Consider use of an electric razor in addition to a blade. Alternating between the two significantly reduces the overall razor burn as your skin is not getting hammered with the same stimuilli all the time. BRAUN makes a great one for about $130. I use it all the time, and use a blad only about once or twice a week.

I do shave after I've moistened my face for a while. It makes the whole ordeal much more manageable. This rosacea thing you talked about sounds like what happens to me. I shave and the hot water makes my skin itch as if I were being bitten by thousands of mosquitoes! Cold water does better but as I said above, spot drying my face is the best way I've found so far.

Haha, I like how you mentioned hydrocortisone cream. I've tried that and it does wonders for my neck. (The hair grows to the right so whenever I turn my head they brush against the grain...ugh )