• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oral Contraceptives Impair Muscle Gains In Young Women

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm having a hard time interpreting exactly what these results mean in practical terms, but it sounds like something people should know and think about.

New study looks at effect of oral contraceptive use in resistance exercise training

NEW ORLEANS—Many active young women use oral contraceptives (OC) yet its effect on their body composition and exercise performance has not been thoroughly studied. A team of researchers has now examined the effects of OC on female muscle mass, and found that oral contraceptive use impairs muscle gains in young women, and is associated with lower hormone levels.

The findings are contained in a new study entitled Oral Contraceptive Use Impairs Muscle Gains in Young Women. It was conducted by Chang-Woock Lee and Steven E. Riechman, Department of Health and Kinesiology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX; and Mark A. Newman, Human Energy Research Laboratory, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. The researchers will present their findings at the 122nd Annual Meeting of the American Physiological Society (APS; www.the-aps.org/press), which is part of the Experimental Biology 2009 scientific conference. The meeting will be held April 18-22, 2009 in New Orleans.

The Study

Seventy-three generally healthy women between the ages of 18-31 were assigned to two groups and completed a 10-week whole-body resistance exercise training (RET). Group 1 consisted of 34 women who used oral contraceptives (OC). Group 2 consisted of 39 women who did not take birth control pills (non-OC). The women were encouraged to consume at least 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day (a third more than is called for by the U.S. government nutritional guidelines) to make sure they consumed enough calories and protein to promote muscle growth.

The participants exercised three times per week for ten weeks under the supervision of exercise physiologists. They performed a variety of exercises to include chest press, lat pull down, leg extension, triceps extension, arm curl and abdominal crunch. Exercise was done using standard exercise machines and each volunteer performed three sets of 6-10 repetitions per exercise at 75 percent of their maximum strength. Body composition was determined using hydrostatic weighing.

Blood samples were taken before and after the training and assessed to measure anabolic (muscle building) and catabolic (muscle breaking) hormone levels in blood. Resting and fasting blood concentrations were measured for three anabolic hormones: DHEA, DHEAS and IGF1.

Findings

The researchers found that:

there were significant differences in lean mass gains (OC: 2.1±2.1% vs. non-OC: 3.5±3.2% / OC: 1.0±1.0kg vs. no-OC: 1.6±1.4kg, p<0.05). However, other muscle responses such as strength gains and arm/leg circumferences were similar between the OC and non-OC users.

resting/fasting blood concentrations of the anabolic hormones were significantly lower in women taking OC vs. non-OC users throughout the study period. At the same time, plasma concentrations of cortisol (catabolic hormone) were elevated.

those OC users had reduced DHEA hormone at the end of the training period. By contrast, the other participants’ levels did not change.

Conclusion

According to the researchers, “We were surprised at the magnitude of differences in muscle gains between the two groups, with the non-OC women gaining more than 60% greater muscle mass than their OC counterpart.” They added that even though the study has observed negative effects of oral contraceptive use on muscle gain in the context of resistance exercise training, “future studies are needed to help explain the reasons behind the results.”

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I assume oral contraceptives are birth control which is estrogen thus decreasing the amount of testosterone a woman has.

Makes sense.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I assume oral contraceptives are birth control which is estrogen thus decreasing the amount of testosterone a woman has.

That's my guess too:
Reducing T reduces bulk muscle mass significantly.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my questions is is it okay (healthy) to not have the muscle mass? and does this mean you're going to get/look fatter or skinnier while taking OC?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I hate the pill.

eta: It lowers sex drive, it's artificially trying to control hormone levels. I'm not surprised it lowers muscle mass. Women have been sold on something that just isn't a good deal. Maybe eventually they will come up with something that works but doesn't mess with a woman's body like the pill does.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my questions is is it okay (healthy) to not have the muscle mass?

... too lazy to google it so all u get is aunt jenny's talking out of her bottom... ;)

Generally, it depends how much muscle mass we are talking.

And we're also talking bulk muscle vs toned muscle. Women usually get toned when they do basic work outs, it's hard for them to pump up muscle mass and they can't add as much bulk as easily as men can.

and does this mean you're going to get/look fatter or skinnier while taking OC?

Muscle burns calories, even at rest. If you reduce your muscle and you don't have a fast metabolism, you could put on extra weight because you are burning less calories.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
my questions is is it okay (healthy) to not have the muscle mass? and does this mean you're going to get/look fatter or skinnier while taking OC?

It is not healthy. Most healthy women should look like this:

female-bodybuilder.gif

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is not healthy. Most healthy women should look like this:

female-bodybuilder.gif

I wonder if the women in the study were trying to look like that? If so, then I don't think normal women who take OC have anything to worry about.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very interesting.

I think the net effect of this is totally dependent on a number of factors, to include: (1) the physical condition of a woman before she begins taking OC, (2) the type of physique she is (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph), (3) the quality of the woman's diet and nutrition supplementation, and (4) the amount of exercise the woman shall engage in on a regular basis, and I mean exercise, like sweating hard and being exhausted, not showing up to a gym to hit a few machines and socialize, like many men and women do. :D

Elaur, it is interesting you mention a decrease in libido for women on OC, I have never heard this. That sounds like a terrible thing! :horor:

I've had a vasectomy, but my wife has been taking OC for about 6 months now. She was experiencing a spike in anxiety-like symptoms with her menstrual cycle for several months. The two events were very consistent in their occurrence, so our MD suggested trying OC for a while to mitigate that. She's just as active as me, and I think she would want to know if the OC has any effect on muscle...or libido. :cheese:

Thanks for posting this!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very interesting.

I think the net effect of this is totally dependent on a number of factors, to include: (1) the physical condition of a woman before she begins taking OC, (2) the type of physique she is (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph), (3) the quality of the woman's diet and nutrition supplementation, and (4) the amount of exercise the woman shall engage in on a regular basis, and I mean exercise, like sweating hard and being exhausted, not showing up to a gym to hit a few machines and socialize, like many men and women do. :D

Elaur, it is interesting you mention a decrease in libido for women on OC, I have never heard this. That sounds like a terrible thing! :horor:

I've had a vasectomy, but my wife has been taking OC for about 6 months now. She was experiencing a spike in anxiety-like symptoms with her menstrual cycle for several months. The two events were very consistent in their occurrence, so our MD suggested trying OC for a while to mitigate that. She's just as active as me, and I think she would want to know if the OC has any effect on muscle...or libido. :cheese:

Thanks for posting this!

You're welcome. And re the bolded: consider that the same hormones in OC are given to male pedophiles to chemically castrate them.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're welcome. And re the bolded: consider that the same hormones in OC are given to male pedophiles to chemically castrate them.

Wowzers. How do they guarantee that the pedophiles take their pills regularly? I say they just go for real castration. Why mess around? Those people shouldn't ever be released anyway, they cannot be rehabilitated. Off topic, but I guess I'm shocked as to the "off label" use of OC drugs. What about pre-op/post-op gender reassignment? Are the same meds used? :thinking:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically, as far as sex drive, testosterone increases sex drive.

This is why decreasing T in sex offenders reduces their drive to commit said crimes.
And it is why women are sometimes prescribed small amounts of T in order to increase drive.

In Europe, Chemical castration commonly is caused by application of cyproterone acetate, commonly known under one brand name as Androcur.

Wiki:
Cyproterone acetate (Androcur, Cyprostat,Cyproteron, Procur, Cyprone, Cyprohexal, Ciproterona, Cyproteronum,Neoproxil, Siterone) is an antiandrogen, i.e. it suppresses the actions of testosterone (and its metabolite dihydrotestosterone) on tissues. It acts by blocking androgen receptors which prevents androgens from binding to them and suppresses luteinizing hormone (which in turn reduces testosterone levels). Its main indications are prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, priapism, hypersexuality and other conditions in which androgen action maintains the disease process. Due to its anti-androgen effect, it can also be used to treat hirsutism, and is a common component in hormone therapy for male-to-female transgender people.

My FIL actually had prostate cancer that needed surgery and he was put on Androcur for awhile in order to negate the impact of T that stimulates prostate cancer.

In the US, shots of Depo-Provera are also used with sex offenders (every 3 months?) At least that it can be verified they're taking the meds.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd guess it is like drunk drivers taking Antabuse.

Go in to parole officer while he watches you swallow.

Daily? That's expensive to monitor. Not very effective. THey should have a 5 year shot, like Norplant.

Basically, as far as sex drive, testosterone increases sex drive.

This is why decreasing T in sex offenders reduces their drive to commit said crimes.
And it is why women are sometimes prescribed small amounts of T in order to increase drive.

Chemical castration commonly is caused by application of cyproterone acetate, commonly known under one brand name as Androcur.

Wiki:

OK, but is it daily administration? THat just seems like alot to have to keep tabs on... Not very cost effective...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, but is it daily administration? THat just seems like alot to have to keep tabs on... Not very cost effective...

See the Depo-Provera shot I just edited in before seeing this post. :)

Also added that Androcur is more the European style, Depo-Provera is the US preferred method.

Depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA) is a progestin-only long acting reversible hormonal contraceptive birth control drug which is injected every 3 months.

Depot medroxyprogesterone ate (DMPA) is an aqueous suspension for depot injection of the pregnane 17α-hydroxyprogesterone-derivative progestin medroxyprogesterone acetate.

Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection, manufactured by Pfizer, is the brand name for a 150 mg aqueous suspension of medroxyprogesterone acetate for depot intramuscular injection. This means that Depo Provera must be injected into a muscle (either the buttock or upper arm). The shot is required 4 times a year (every 11 to 13 weeks) to maintain Depo Provera’s high effectiveness rate, and a woman is protected from pregnancy immediately after receiving each injection. [1]

.... anyhoo.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So are you saying it does or doesn't decrease sex drive?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So are you saying it does or doesn't decrease sex drive?

Androcur is an anti-androgen and does decrease drive -- it replaces testosterone in the receptors.

Obviously Depo-Provera does decrease drive or they wouldn't use it, but it's more of a progestin and I don't quite get how it works yet. In women, it works as birth control because it fools the body into thinking it is already pregnant, correct?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Got it! Every 3 months, that makes more sense.

I still say letting Elaur wield her mighty chef's knife on the offenders' testes is quicker, cheaper, and more effective, especially if broadcast on YouTube. :D

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Isn't this why women get horny at menopause...........drop in estrogen leaves an imbalance in Testosterone.............and a thin light mustache.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't this why women get horny at menopause...........drop in estrogen leaves an imbalance in Testosterone.............and a thin light mustache.

That's a contributor. You'll see a lot of older women going to electrolysis because of hair growth stimulated indirectly by the reduction in estrogen.

Another interesting thing is that progesterone can actually fill some of the same receptors as testosterone, resulting in increased libido. So I'm still trying to figure out the Depo-Provera thing...