User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wait, so if a woman has too high testosterone levels and takes BC to reduce them to normal levels, shouldn't that mean that she still gains muscle at a normal rate for women?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Wait, so if a woman has too high testosterone levels and takes BC to reduce them to normal levels, shouldn't that mean that she still gains muscle at a normal rate for women?
    Yeah. But not many women have too high t levels.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah. But not many women have too high t levels.
    Exactly, the situation described would be an extrememly rare circumstance of a secondary condition being mitigated by the side effects of OCs.

Here's an off comment, but related to OCs:

I discussed the info in this thread with my wife, and told her that if she wnated to get off the OCs to go ahead and do so. She reminded me that one other reason, besides the PMDD, that she was given the option of using them is that she had ovarian cysts that were very painful. She does not have any issues with the ovarian cysts when she is taking OCs. Apparently there is a wide array of risk/benefit to any hormone therapy...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Exactly, the situation described would be an extrememly rare circumstance of a secondary condition being mitigated by the side effects of OCs.

Here's an off comment, but related to OCs:

I discussed the info in this thread with my wife, and told her that if she wnated to get off the OCs to go ahead and do so. She reminded me that one other reason, besides the PMDD, that she was given the option of using them is that she had ovarian cysts that were very painful. She does not have any issues with the ovarian cysts when she is taking OCs. Apparently there is a wide array of risk/benefit to any hormone therapy...
    It's not too rare. Ovarian cysts are often caused by/accompanied by high testosterone levels. PCOS affects about 5% of women.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Progestins will decrease sex drive in men because men need a high amount of testosterone to function sexually.

Women need far less testosterone to function sexually so it isn't as big a deal. The reduction in sex drive is definitely not universal, from what I've read it varies from woman to woman, sometimes does the opposite and increases sex drive, and is usually transient.

For me it decreased it noticeably for a month or so and then it was back to normal.

FYI the pill has health benefits as well as risks...it significantly decreases the risk of ovarian cancer which is very deadly, the most fatal gynecological cancer. Besides being a highly accurate method of contraception. Though I agree that a nonhormonal yet effective method (other than IUDs) would be a great alternative and it's sad that the pharmaceutical companies have largely withdrawn from this research due to the lack of potential profit (mostly because the pill is so effective).
    -end of thread-

Discontinuing OC + increased libido = increased offspring

Just trust me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Discontinuing OC + increased libido = increased offspring

Just trust me.
    N-I-C-E!

Raising a child from birth to age 18 = $200,000
    Vasectomy = $1,000
    Peace of Mind = Priceless
    Piece of Ass = Even Better!

MBTI
    AHH!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Progestins will decrease sex drive in men because men need a high amount of testosterone to function sexually.

Women need far less testosterone to function sexually so it isn't as big a deal. The reduction in sex drive is definitely not universal, from what I've read it varies from woman to woman, sometimes does the opposite and increases sex drive, and is usually transient.

For me it decreased it noticeably for a month or so and then it was back to normal.

FYI the pill has health benefits as well as risks...it significantly decreases the risk of ovarian cancer which is very deadly, the most fatal gynecological cancer. Besides being a highly accurate method of contraception. Though I agree that a nonhormonal yet effective method (other than IUDs) would be a great alternative and it's sad that the pharmaceutical companies have largely withdrawn from this research due to the lack of potential profit (mostly because the pill is so effective).
    And it can clear your skin, too!