First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    You're welcome. And re the bolded: consider that the same hormones in OC are given to male pedophiles to chemically castrate them.
    Wowzers. How do they guarantee that the pedophiles take their pills regularly? I say they just go for real castration. Why mess around? Those people shouldn't ever be released anyway, they cannot be rehabilitated. Off topic, but I guess I'm shocked as to the "off label" use of OC drugs. What about pre-op/post-op gender reassignment? Are the same meds used?

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Wowzers. How do they guarantee that the pedophiles take their pills regularly?
    I'd guess it is like drunk drivers taking Antabuse.

Go in to parole officer while he watches you swallow.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Basically, as far as sex drive, testosterone increases sex drive.

This is why decreasing T in sex offenders reduces their drive to commit said crimes.
    And it is why women are sometimes prescribed small amounts of T in order to increase drive.

In Europe, Chemical castration commonly is caused by application of cyproterone acetate, commonly known under one brand name as Androcur.

Wiki:
    Cyproterone acetate (Androcur, Cyprostat,Cyproteron, Procur, Cyprone, Cyprohexal, Ciproterona, Cyproteronum,Neoproxil, Siterone) is an antiandrogen, i.e. it suppresses the actions of testosterone (and its metabolite dihydrotestosterone) on tissues. It acts by blocking androgen receptors which prevents androgens from binding to them and suppresses luteinizing hormone (which in turn reduces testosterone levels). Its main indications are prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, priapism, hypersexuality and other conditions in which androgen action maintains the disease process. Due to its anti-androgen effect, it can also be used to treat hirsutism, and is a common component in hormone therapy for male-to-female transgender people.
    My FIL actually had prostate cancer that needed surgery and he was put on Androcur for awhile in order to negate the impact of T that stimulates prostate cancer.

In the US, shots of Depo-Provera are also used with sex offenders (every 3 months?) At least that it can be verified they're taking the meds.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I'd guess it is like drunk drivers taking Antabuse.

Go in to parole officer while he watches you swallow.
    Daily? That's expensive to monitor. Not very effective. THey should have a 5 year shot, like Norplant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Basically, as far as sex drive, testosterone increases sex drive.

This is why decreasing T in sex offenders reduces their drive to commit said crimes.
    And it is why women are sometimes prescribed small amounts of T in order to increase drive.

Chemical castration commonly is caused by application of cyproterone acetate, commonly known under one brand name as Androcur.

Wiki:
    OK, but is it daily administration? THat just seems like alot to have to keep tabs on... Not very cost effective...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    OK, but is it daily administration? THat just seems like alot to have to keep tabs on... Not very cost effective...
    See the Depo-Provera shot I just edited in before seeing this post.

Also added that Androcur is more the European style, Depo-Provera is the US preferred method.

Depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA) is a progestin-only long acting reversible hormonal contraceptive birth control drug which is injected every 3 months.

Depot medroxyprogesterone ate (DMPA) is an aqueous suspension for depot injection of the pregnane 17?-hydroxyprogesterone-derivative progestin medroxyprogesterone acetate.

Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection, manufactured by Pfizer, is the brand name for a 150 mg aqueous suspension of medroxyprogesterone acetate for depot intramuscular injection. This means that Depo Provera must be injected into a muscle (either the buttock or upper arm). The shot is required 4 times a year (every 11 to 13 weeks) to maintain Depo Proveras high effectiveness rate, and a woman is protected from pregnancy immediately after receiving each injection. [1]

.... anyhoo.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

So are you saying it does or doesn't decrease sex drive?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    So are you saying it does or doesn't decrease sex drive?
    Androcur is an anti-androgen and does decrease drive -- it replaces testosterone in the receptors.

Obviously Depo-Provera does decrease drive or they wouldn't use it, but it's more of a progestin and I don't quite get how it works yet. In women, it works as birth control because it fools the body into thinking it is already pregnant, correct?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Got it! Every 3 months, that makes more sense.

I still say letting Elaur wield her mighty chef's knife on the offenders' testes is quicker, cheaper, and more effective, especially if broadcast on YouTube.

MBTI
    YaYa

Isn't this why women get horny at menopause...........drop in estrogen leaves an imbalance in Testosterone.............and a thin light mustache.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Isn't this why women get horny at menopause...........drop in estrogen leaves an imbalance in Testosterone.............and a thin light mustache.
    That's a contributor. You'll see a lot of older women going to electrolysis because of hair growth stimulated indirectly by the reduction in estrogen.

Another interesting thing is that progesterone can actually fill some of the same receptors as testosterone, resulting in increased libido. So I'm still trying to figure out the Depo-Provera thing...