• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting Fat?

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well, I searched a lot of threads on this issue and didn't find one that could help me. But I am concerned about my weight gain. I am 5'3" with a curvier body type (kinda hourglassy, chubby kind of legs, a bit of a belly, etc) and my usual weight travels in the 130's. So not all that fat, but not ideal.

But in the last 2 months I have climbed to 150 from 135ish. Not THAT tragic, I know, but it's buggin' me. This is because I have been doing fairly rigorous cardio 5 times a week, I have cut back on drinking and junk food, and I drink water a lot. I feel pretty decent, and don't show symptoms of diseases like hypothyroidism. I am not pregnant, and I am not a very stressed out kinda gal. What's going on? Advice? Similar experiences? Insults for my melodrama?

Is my metabolism just giving up now that I am in my second year of uni? Because if so, I'll just order the stretch pants now lol

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Muscle weighs more than fat. Instead of looking at the scale, look at yourself in the mirror. Are your clothes tighter or baggy?

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Muscle weighs more than fat. Instead of looking at the scale, look at yourself in the mirror. Are your clothes tighter or baggy?

Tighter. Believe me, it isn't muscle. :(

Plus it's probably super hard to gain that kind of muscle in 2 months with cardio. I wish you were right...maybe it's a soft amorphous kind of muscle. Yeah, that's what I'll say. ;)

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
What sort of food do you eat? I know you already mentioned a cut in junk food, but what about everyday meals. Are you eating a lot of starchy stuff like Ramen noodles (lol university student) and spaghetti/lasagna etc? How about beer?

130-135 sounds pretty ideal to me. :wubbie:

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
It could be that your not burning it off like you used to, happens to everyone.

Eating carbs after 8 or even 6 could be cut out because after that time your body doesn't need it an won't burn it off. You could also explore your cardio workout, everyone responds in different ways and there is more than one way to burn calories.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
AL: Well. pasta and the like, sure the staple of a student's diet. :D But no more than usual. :/

I still drink liquor, but I certainly don't drink like I used to.

TT: Hmm, I guess I just have to make further adjustments.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone :)

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
The worst culprit is sugar however. And it's in nearly everything microwavable, in pizzas, potato chips, soda drinks. It's often broken down into different sugars on food labels or it would be the main ingrediant. It's a serious health risk for all kinds of problems in later life and part of the reason that the generations now are subject to health problems, because the previous generation ate lots of sugar, before that no one did. It is probably the most importan thing anyone can cut out of their diet.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I forgot about the eating late problem, and isn't everyday loaves of bread now high in sugar content?

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think I am growing into a heavier body because I improve my eating/drinking/exercising every year. I have a very healthy lifestyle, considering I go to university. Oprah told me not to eat within a few hours of your bedtime lol

130-135 sounds pretty ideal to me

It's looking good to me right now too, but thanks:)

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I forgot about the eating late problem, and isn't everyday loaves of bread now high in sugar content?

Yeah, high fructose corn syrup - bizzareley. Best to bake your own if you can find the time, although it doesn't take long and tastes so much better. Fruit juice is really bad aswell you only need 200ml a day at best. Most supposed 'health' drinks do more harm than good. The sugar boost, is short lived and is followed by the sugar crash.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yeah, high fructose corn syrup - bizzareley. Best to bake your own if you can find the time, although it doesn't take long and tastes so much better. Fruit juice is really bad aswell you only need 200ml a day at best. Most supposed 'health' drinks do more harm than good. The sugar boost, is short lived and is followed by the sugar crash.

You know much, health sage!:worthy:

Edit: That didn't come across as sarcastic did it? It wasn't intended to.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
How about stimulants, did you quit smoking or drinking coffee?

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
No...I prefer other forms of stimulation ;)

Seriously though, haven't quit anything. But now that we're on the topic, munchies weight? lol

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
My god! You're a werewolf! I knew it, I don't know how I knew, but I always knew...

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Geez, that's very strange. So you're eating healthy and exercising... but you're gaining weight? Maybe you're pregnant, I don't know (you're a girl right?). Can you give me an example of what you eat everyday? Kind of like a food schedule. And what are you munching on? If all else fails, I would pay a visit to the doctor.

[edit] Also, are you eating processed foods? You only drink water, correct?