User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting Fat?

Some people think just eating less is the best way to slim down. Wrong.

It's proven that 4-5 smaller meals a day, compromised of nutritious and well balanced foods is optimal to maintain a speedier metabolism. Stay with the lean meats, vegetables, complex carbs and healthy fats. Drink plenty of water. If you have to pee so often to the point that it's an annoyance, that's a good thing.

I'll be back, but I gotta run.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Some people think just eating less is the best way to slim down. Wrong.
    Exactly, eating less won't do it, but eating the right amount for your body is very important.

Personally though I tried the 4-5 small meal thing and found that I had a tendency to not be satisfied by any one of those meals, and then to overeat at the next one. If one is capable of doing it well I am sure it's preferable to a few larger meals, but I wasn't ever able to make it work. I'm not sure if other people experience the same problem.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Senior Member Array Silly_Siren's Avatar

So many response-worthy replies, but it'll be a while. I type by scrolling through a text bar and selecting symbols. But thank you all for your surprisingly thorough help!
    =universal solution

a few thoughts, not read the whole way though the thread.

Most women use the scales as a proxy to size - which is nuts.

If you are working out and toning your body may be heavier but you will be a smaller size - which I'd think is the main thing.

Try using a measuring tape as frequently as you use the scales:

Measure you waiste, bust and hips (and any tricky areas) and keep a record.... I lost loads of bulk this way.... after a while the numbers on the scales are just irelevant because you look great.

If you are having actual weight problems, a lot of it is self denial about the amount you are eatting not just that you are eating crap - keep a fod diary and include coffees etc

Good luck

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Silly_Siren View Post
    I am painfully aware it's impossible for me to be pregnant right now: Long distance relationship=frustrating. The price you pay for a degree:steam:

Boring Breakfast cereal+ OJ
    Mid-class banana/granola bar things of that nature.
    Lunch: Rice, pasta, sandwiches, milk, water, it depends.
    Snacking is usually fruit/veggie, sometimes pudding or something cruddy, but not habitually
    Dinner: Kraft Dinner, fried vegetables, chicken, pizza on occasion
    Once in a while some chips and pop after that, but I am good in this regard.

I know it's not perfect, but it's not bad! I also drink from a water bottle throughout the day.
    Some of the problems here depend on the specifics of your choices.
    A lot of granola bars are sugary and just simple carbs. There are ones that have a good amount of fiber and whole grains and nuts and little to no sugar. So it's not necessarily a good or bad choice, it just depends on the granola bar. Definitely start reading labels. Seemingly "healthy" food may not be so healthy.

Try an apple and 100% peanut butter as a snack sometimes. You get that bit of protein w/the apple so you don't feel sick. I also like a small handful of nuts and some berries.

When I make a sandwich, it's pretty low cal and healthy, and has a lot of veggies on whole grain bread (none of that that enriched wheat flower stuff), but if your sandwich is white bread with a ton of cheese meat and mayonnaise, well, then it's a different story. You can make the same food, just make it differently.

Think about every ingredient that makes up your meals, and then evaluate if you're mostly eating whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies, lean protein, and minimal dairy and healthy fats (ie. healthy fats are avocado, nuts, olive and canola oil). You don't need to become a health freak at all though.

You're going to need to make big changes in your dinner. Try something like grilled fish and steamed veggies. It's easy, tastes good, and is healthier than fried and packaged foods. This site is very useful for getting an idea of the calories in your homemade meals:
    Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis –

If you're the kind who gains mass easily, then strength training may benefit you a lot (plus, women need to do some for their bones). If you gain some muscle, it actually helps you body burn fat easier. Your body type may actually gain muscle easily if you start lifting weights.

I agree to use measurements over scales also.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive