• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting Fat?

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am painfully aware it's impossible for me to be pregnant right now: Long distance relationship=frustrating. The price you pay for a degree:steam:

Boring Breakfast cereal+ OJ
Mid-class banana/granola bar things of that nature.
Lunch: Rice, pasta, sandwiches, milk, water, it depends.
Snacking is usually fruit/veggie, sometimes pudding or something cruddy, but not habitually
Dinner: Kraft Dinner, fried vegetables, chicken, pizza on occasion
Once in a while some chips and pop after that, but I am good in this regard.

I know it's not perfect, but it's not bad! I also drink from a water bottle throughout the day.

I called my mom the other night and told her I was morphing into her lol

Maybe you have some weird hormonal thing going on

I hope it goes away if that's the case. :(

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP

Girltalk. Does my butt look big in this?

doyouthinkmybumlookstoo.jpg

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I am painfully aware it's impossible for me to be pregnant right now: Long distance relationship=frustrating. The price you pay for a degree:steam:

Snacking is usually fruit/veggie, sometimes pudding or something cruddy, but not habitually

I know it's not perfect, but it's not bad! I also drink from a water bottle throughout the day.

Cut out the OJ. It's just full of sugar and isn't a good source of vitamin C. And what kind of cereal? The sugary kind? The majority of humans on this earth are lactose intolerant. I would advise you to switch to soy milk and only eat healthy grainy cereal that comes in those plastic bags (or make your own). Dairy products can cause bloating, which maybe the root of your problem, but you can never be sure. Actually, if I were you I would replace breakfast with a green smoothie. They're healthy with bundles of veggies and fruits. The nutrients full you up throughout the day.

No granola bars, they're full of sugar. You think they're healthy, but they're not. Once you become a raw foodist you begin to taste all the fatty shit that manufacturers put in "healthy" food. Once again, green smoothies and fruit--or you can snack on fresh fruits or nuts. Ahh, dried fruit is good as well. Also, try drinking water before you eat. A lot of the time people think that they're hungry, but they're really just thirsty.

Your lunch schedule looks like a death sentence. All those carbs and then milk! If you're going to have rice, maybe have it with a side of steamed fish. And I hope that you're using whole wheat bread. You should maybe make some healthy soup (there are tons) instead. They're easier to make and only take minutes. It's excusable to have soup and a small bread roll with some salad. With water...

Don't fry your vegetables! They already lose their nutrients when you cook 'em! I can kind of see why you gained some weight, your diet really isn't the healthiest. I would go on a raw food diet for a month to cleanse your system. Afterwards you usually only crave healthy food.

And most importantly, always cook your food. Homecooked meals are typically healthier, remember that! Stay away from sugar and cut out all the juice!

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
you begin to taste all the fatty shit that manufacturers put in "healthy" food.

green smoothies and fruit

If you quit using soap and other hygiene products with synthetics in them, after awhile you can smell this strange chemical smell on people who do. Several years ago I switched to diet pepsi from regular pepsi (have quit entirely since) and when I would occasionally have a regular one the taste was overwhelming.

What do you put in your green smoothies? I have thought about trying one, does the fruit offset the bland veggie taste?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
If you quit using soap and other hygiene products with synthetics in them, after awhile you can smell this strange chemical smell on people who do.

What do you put in your green smoothies? I have thought about trying one, does the fruit offset the bland veggie taste?

You know, I looked online for some recipes but the result was a bitter taste. So I created my own!

3 stalks of celery
1/3 cilantro
1 romaine lettuce head
2 peaches
1 banana
1/2 cup of lemon juice

I thought it was pretty good! The peaches help to disguise the taste of celery. I'm still in the lab trying to discover a new formula. I have some strawberries, mangoes, blackberries, and raspberries. I'm thinking of using 1 or 2 mangoes, strawberries, and an orange. I tried it in a homemade fruit smoothie and it was delicious. Now I'll have to wait and see how the mango and orange will react with the greens.

About this advice. It's a good idea to cut down on fried foods; however, take your time to get into it and don't try it the cold turkey style.

I think it depends on the person. But most people should gradually cut things out of their diet :D I agree.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
With your increase in water intake with a high cardio workout you may have just put on a lot of water weight. I dont think It would acount for all of it but it can easily add several pounds in a short time. With more water in your system your fat cells are literally expanding cause all your blood cells in them have expanded due to the increased amount of water you intake, which could acount for the "tightness" in clothing.

Just like blood cells absorb the alcohol in you system they due the same with water.

Edit: Oh and with that said, you increase in weight may not be unhealthy. Skinny people aren't healthier just cause their skinnier, I should know. Im probably in the top ten for most unhealthy "skinny" guy...

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Well, I searched a lot of threads on this issue and didn't find one that could help me. But I am concerned about my weight gain. I am 5'3" with a curvier body type (kinda hourglassy, chubby kind of legs, a bit of a belly, etc) and my usual weight travels in the 130's. So not all that fat, but not ideal.

But in the last 2 months I have climbed to 150 from 135ish. Not THAT tragic, I know, but it's buggin' me. This is because I have been doing fairly rigorous cardio 5 times a week, I have cut back on drinking and junk food, and I drink water a lot. I feel pretty decent, and don't show symptoms of diseases like hypothyroidism. I am not pregnant, and I am not a very stressed out kinda gal. What's going on? Advice? Similar experiences? Insults for my melodrama?

Is my metabolism just giving up now that I am in my second year of uni? Because if so, I'll just order the stretch pants now lol

Oh my goodness, we're not just face twins we're body type twins too!

I went from 130 lbs to 150 over probably 6 months when I was about 17. I'm not sure exactly what caused it, I think I stopped exercising as much and started eating more without even realizing it. But seeing as you're exercising so much, I'm surprised you've gained weight. It could be that you're just eating too much, that'd contribute to not just fat gain but retaining food weight too (hehe that's right, I'm asking if you're "regular"). I know that in a time when anorexia among young women is extremely prevalent, it's considered sort of taboo to say it, but a lot of people seem to eat more than they need to (stress from school certainly doesn't help either).

Personally I have a tendency to eat really well when I'm in a new environment (every time I move somewhere new I lose weight, including coming to college) but after about a year the amount I eat is much larger. Right now I eat 2-3 small meals a day with no snacks in between and that feels about right for my body. Have you always eaten as much as you do now? If this is as much as you've always eaten then disregard this :D

Also plus 1 to what PaperOceans said about some of those "healthy" foods.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Some people think just eating less is the best way to slim down. Wrong.

It's proven that 4-5 smaller meals a day, compromised of nutritious and well balanced foods is optimal to maintain a speedier metabolism. Stay with the lean meats, vegetables, complex carbs and healthy fats. Drink plenty of water. If you have to pee so often to the point that it's an annoyance, that's a good thing.

I'll be back, but I gotta run.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Some people think just eating less is the best way to slim down. Wrong.

Exactly, eating less won't do it, but eating the right amount for your body is very important.

Personally though I tried the 4-5 small meal thing and found that I had a tendency to not be satisfied by any one of those meals, and then to overeat at the next one. If one is capable of doing it well I am sure it's preferable to a few larger meals, but I wasn't ever able to make it work. I'm not sure if other people experience the same problem.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
So many response-worthy replies, but it'll be a while. I type by scrolling through a text bar and selecting symbols. But thank you all for your surprisingly thorough help!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
a few thoughts, not read the whole way though the thread.

Most women use the scales as a proxy to size - which is nuts.

If you are working out and toning your body may be heavier but you will be a smaller size - which I'd think is the main thing.

Try using a measuring tape as frequently as you use the scales:

Measure you waiste, bust and hips (and any tricky areas) and keep a record.... I lost loads of bulk this way.... after a while the numbers on the scales are just irelevant because you look great.

If you are having actual weight problems, a lot of it is self denial about the amount you are eatting not just that you are eating crap - keep a fod diary and include coffees etc

Good luck

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Some of the problems here depend on the specifics of your choices.
A lot of granola bars are sugary and just simple carbs. There are ones that have a good amount of fiber and whole grains and nuts and little to no sugar. So it's not necessarily a good or bad choice, it just depends on the granola bar. Definitely start reading labels. Seemingly "healthy" food may not be so healthy.

Try an apple and 100% peanut butter as a snack sometimes. You get that bit of protein w/the apple so you don't feel sick. I also like a small handful of nuts and some berries.

When I make a sandwich, it's pretty low cal and healthy, and has a lot of veggies on whole grain bread (none of that that enriched wheat flower stuff), but if your sandwich is white bread with a ton of cheese meat and mayonnaise, well, then it's a different story. You can make the same food, just make it differently.

Think about every ingredient that makes up your meals, and then evaluate if you're mostly eating whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies, lean protein, and minimal dairy and healthy fats (ie. healthy fats are avocado, nuts, olive and canola oil). You don't need to become a health freak at all though.

You're going to need to make big changes in your dinner. Try something like grilled fish and steamed veggies. It's easy, tastes good, and is healthier than fried and packaged foods. This site is very useful for getting an idea of the calories in your homemade meals:
Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

If you're the kind who gains mass easily, then strength training may benefit you a lot (plus, women need to do some for their bones). If you gain some muscle, it actually helps you body burn fat easier. Your body type may actually gain muscle easily if you start lifting weights.

I agree to use measurements over scales also.