User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Wow, that's awful, you guys were so sick. Ugh. That's exactly what I heard about the secondary infections too.

My Dr. suspects that my daughter may have had it because of her coughing (she was home for a week and sick for 2) but apparently it also looked like another type of illness going around.
    ^^^ There is another kind of illness rampant here, too. (Not swine flu). And that is the kicker I caught. Really dangerous. Anyway...That's why I think it is always a good idea to go to a doctor because only a good doctor can tell you what illness you really have and make sure it has not already developed into some kind of secondary infection. That's all I meant.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP

Lucky bastard. I missed SARS too. :steam:

My immune system hasn't been upgraded since about 1999. Think of all the cutting-edge antibodies I'm missing out on. When the big Pandemic finally hits I'll be one of the first on the slabs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    It's more unlikely that someone would have swine flu though.
    You don't read the newspaper much, do you?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Maybe, but it depends on if he's where a break out is. Where I live it's running rampant.
    It's running rampant where I live, too.

It's actually much more likely that you have the swine flu. The seasonal flu season hasn't even started.

What the heck are these people talking about who say you are more likely to have the seasonal flu?

MBTI
    xNFP

I think it's a different kind of mentality, to be honest. Most Americans won't go to a doctor unless they are on the brink of needing a hospital; whereas most Germans go to a doctor if they have an illness of any kind. More of a preventative measure. *shrugs* I'm not saying Germans are hypochondriacs or that all Germans are like that, but Germans are more willing to go to a doctor at the sign of trouble to make sure they are correctly diagnosed.

I think I'm experiencing culture shock.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Wow, that's awful, you guys were so sick. Ugh. That's exactly what I heard about the secondary infections too.

My Dr. suspects that my daughter may have had it because of her coughing (she was home for a week and sick for 2) but apparently it also looked like another type of illness going around.
    That's how it started with my family, we all had a little benign cough then look out! My son had a fever of 104 in the middle of night. My son was pretty sick at first but he had Tamiflu within hours so he recovered very quickly. My husband said he just felt like he had a head cold. None of us had vomiting of diarrhea.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

My daughter had 103.1

LL - I was talking to someone from England once and he told me they don't take their kids to the Dr. for ear infections. He even said the kid's ear was "draining" but it "got better."

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I think it's a different kind of mentality, to be honest. Most Americans won't go to a doctor unless they are on the brink of needing a hospital; whereas most Germans go to a doctor if they have an illness of any kind. More of a preventative measure. *shrugs* I'm not saying Germans are hypochondriacs or that all Germans are like that, but Germans are more willing to go to a doctor at the sign of trouble to make sure they are correctly diagnosed.
    The natures of the respective health systems might have a bit to do with that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post

I think I'm experiencing culture shock.
    Some people here are insane. One of my supervisors came to work the other week saying that she "might have pneumonia." Americans are stupidly obsessed with work. I refuse to participate. If I'm sick, I stay home. I sure as fuck don't go to work if I think I have pneumonia.

MBTI
    xNFP

My daughter had 103.1

LL - I was talking to someone from England once and he told me they don't take their kids to the Dr. for ear infections. He even said the kid's ear was "draining" but it "got better."
    Holy guacamole! That would never happen here! At least not if parents took care of their kids properly.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    The natures of the respective health systems might have a bit to do with that.
    I'm really starting to think that. If you stay home from work for being sick and do not provide a doctor's note, you don't get paid or you have to use vacation time. You ALWAYS have to get a doctor's note. There is no 'stay home and wait for it to get better.'

Of course it depends on your employer what you have to do exactly. Some say on the day of illness. Others after one sick day. Others three. But no note, no go.