User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

In Germany, things are different. You need a doctor's note if you want/need to stay home from work, especially if you want your sick time paid. Besides, why WOULDN'T you go to a doctor if you are sick???? Imagine it ISN'T what you think it is? What, are we all magically doctors now because we have Wikipedia???
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

People going out of their house when they think they have swine flu is a bad idea. I tried to avoid giving our flu out, just because someone else could pick it up and have complications from it.

I've heard that the swine flu normally does respiratory things and that's what causes the problems. Not sure, that was just from someone who works at a Drs. office.

My Dr. said that the swab tests for Influenza A. Not sure about this source, just confirms what my Dr. said.

Testing for the flu, from swab to finish | Swine Flu | Special Reports | PE.com

LL, you don't need to go to the Dr. for the flu because they can't do anything about it. You can't take antibiotics or anything for it. Only if there is a secondary infection of some sort, not if there is just flu.

MBTI
    xNFP

Well anyway, when I went to the doctor, he did not tell me I had swine flu. He told me I have acute bronchitis, which oddly enough had set in at the speed of light, which is quite unusual for me. People normally get bronchitis if they have a cold for a while and don't go to the doctor, I thought.

I guess what I'm saying is that the symptoms of swine flu are symptoms for a GREAT DEAL of illnesses, and I think it's hard for individuals who are not medical professionals to decide whether or not they have the swine flu or something else. Isn't it a good idea to check first beforehand to make sure it REALLY IS the flu?

Although I had bronchitis here were my symptoms:
    - pain in the chest
    - cough, sore throat
    - laryngitis
    - fever
    - aches and pains
    - stuffy/runny nose
    - yellow phlegm with traces of blood
    - headache

Almost identical! And he told me it was a good idea that I had actually gone there again; otherwise it would have developed into pneumonia. As a layman, I am not able to decide if I have swine flu, acute bronchitis, or normal flu, the cold, pneumonia, or anything else. What else is a doctor there for?

In my case, they had treated me for it by prescribing an antibiotic and codeine to lower the cough (which is where the blood was coming from - little capillaries bursting with the pressure, but can I know that as a layman? Hell no).
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    People going out of their house when they think they have swine flu is a bad idea. I tried to avoid giving our flu out, just because someone else could pick it up and have complications from it.

I've heard that the swine flu normally does respiratory things and that's what causes the problems. Not sure, that was just from someone who works at a Drs. office.

My Dr. said that the swab tests for Influenza A. Not sure about this source, just confirms what my Dr. said.

Testing for the flu, from swab to finish | Swine Flu | Special Reports | PE.com
    You're very right about not leaving the house. We couldn't leave until 24 hours after the fever broke. You're also correct in that it does respiratory things. It's not really the H1N1 virus itself that is making so many 'hospital sick', it's the secondary bacterial infections in the lungs afterword i.e bronchitis or pneumonia. Not that I'm an expert on this but my husband, son, and myself had it. I did have to go to the hospital because of a secondary lung infection and the ER doctor explained what he could to me. I didn't want to say that I ended up in the hospital because I didn't want to scare OWS considering that it's not very common to be that bad off. Most people just have to stay in bed and take over counter meds to feel better
    Here is a link I found:

CDC H1N1 Flu | Interim Guidance on Specimen Collection, Processing, and Testing for Patients with Suspected Novel Influenza A (H1N1) (Swine Flu) Virus Infection
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    xNFP

It's something else if you KNOW you have it. But if you are not sure what you have, shouldn't you go to the doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    It's something else if you KNOW you have it. But if you are not sure what you have, shouldn't you go to the doctor?
    You could always call them if you suspect you have it and see what they tell you to do. Many offices have a different door for very contagious patients.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You're very right about not leaving the house. We couldn't leave until 24 hours after the fever broke. You're also correct in that it does respiratory things. It's not really the H1N1 virus itself that is making so many 'hospital sick', it's the secondary bacterial infections in the lungs afterword i.e bronchitis or pneumonia. Not that I'm an expert on this but my husband, son, and myself had it. I did have to go to the hospital because of a secondary lung infection and the ER doctor explained what he could to me. I didn't want to say that I ended up in the hospital because I didn't want to scare OWS considering that it's not very common to be that bad off. Most people just have to stay in bed and take over counter meds to feel better
    Here is a link I found:

CDC H1N1 Flu | Interim Guidance on Specimen Collection, Processing, and Testing for Patients with Suspected Novel Influenza A (H1N1) (Swine Flu) Virus Infection
    Wow, that's awful, you guys were so sick. Ugh. That's exactly what I heard about the secondary infections too.

My Dr. suspects that my daughter may have had it because of her coughing (she was home for a week and sick for 2) but apparently it also looked like another type of illness going around.

MBTI
    xNFP

Wow, every time I speak to people on this forum, it becomes more and more acutely aware to me how different Germany is from America.

On the other hand, we don't have as many problems with swine flu as the US has right now. Not only that, but we have comprehensive health care, which means everyone can get treated for illnesses.

Seriously, though, it was quite clear to me that I did not have the swine flu because I had no vomiting or diarrhea. My illness was purely respiratory.

But we don't have different doors for different patients.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Wow, every time I speak to people on this forum, it becomes more and more acutely aware to me how different Germany is from America.

On the other hand, we don't have as many problems with swine flu as the US has right now. Not only that, but we have comprehensive health care, which means everyone can get treated for illnesses.

Seriously, though, it was quite clear to me that I did not have the swine flu because I had no vomiting or diarrhea. My illness was purely respiratory.

In America, the rules understand you!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's if someone is very contagious. Just lowers the risk for the other patients. For example, possible chickenpox, etc.