• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm Pretty Sure I have Swine Flu

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some people here are insane. One of my supervisors came to work the other week saying that she "might have pneumonia." Americans are stupidly obsessed with work. I refuse to participate. If I'm sick, I stay home. I sure as fuck don't go to work if I think I have pneumonia.

Ay yi yi, seriously. What do they think is going to happen? Do they think they will get a Congressional Medal of Honor for going to work ill, infecting everyone, and destroying their health in the process? BLAH!

Listen, I had to do an intensive English course for pupils in Essen this week. I had committed myself to it weeks and weeks ago, and I was really looking forward to it. But I'll be damned if I will put my health on the line and infect all those kids just because of my work ethic. There has to be a line.

I understand that people have to force people to stay home due to a prevailing protestant work ethic. But damn, not going to a doctor? When you don't know what you have? Makes no sense. Everyone thinks they are an expert nowadays and can diagnose themselves just because they have the Internet. Ridiculous.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ay yi yi, seriously. What do they think is going to happen? Do they think they will get a Congressional Medal of Honor for going to work ill, infecting everyone, and destroying their health in the process? BLAH!

Listen, I had to do an intensive English course for pupils in Essen this week. I had committed myself to it weeks and weeks ago, and I was really looking forward to it. But I'll be damned if I will put my health on the line and infect all those kids just because of my work ethic. There has to be a line.

I understand that people have to force people to stay home due to a prevailing protestant work ethic. But damn, not going to a doctor? When you don't know what you have? Makes no sense. Everyone thinks they are an expert nowadays and can diagnose themselves just because they have the Internet. Ridiculous.

Lots of people don't go to the doctor here in the States because they can't afford it or don't have health insurance. Hence the health care reform issue. I am fortunate as a student to have the campus doctor, of course, and I have no qualms about going to the emergency room either.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Sometimes you are sick and contagious but just viral. Why would you need a Dr. excuse for that?

Jaguar

The majority of doctors can't diagnose their way out of a paper bag.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
80% sure.

Yesterday: Sore muscles, fatigued. Late in day: soar throat (onsets of a fever).

Last Night: Didn't sleep much. Cold spells. Diarrhea once (don't laugh :( ), soar throat, faint head ache.

This morning before I go to school: Head ache, soar throat is almost gone, wasn't hungry for breakfast, jittery/cold.

BRING IT, SWINE FLU.

Well, you are in the age group, and there is a higher chance of getting h1n1 than seasonal flu.

No need to fear though!
Same thing as normal flu.

rest
FLUIDS
warmth, (unless you get too hot from fever)
ibuprofen or acetominophen to break that temp.
FLUIDS
and then whatever sleep/cough/cold medicine of your choice to relieve symptoms.
FLUIDS. :)

Don't go to school, don't go anywhere, unless your symptoms get bad enough to seek medical attention. (And then just have someone bring you to the Doc's)
I think you're looking at about a week at home.

Whether or not to see a doctor is your judgment depending on the situation. Not usually necissary if you are just having mild symptoms, (which most cases have been.) They would give you some antivirals if its the flu h1n1 or otherwise.

Good luck and feel better!

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, you are in the age group, and there is a higher chance of getting h1n1 than seasonal flu.

No need to fear though!
Same thing as normal flu.

rest
FLUIDS
warmth, (unless you get too hot from fever)
ibuprofen or acetominophen to break that temp.
FLUIDS
and then whatever sleep/cough/cold medicine of your choice to relieve symptoms.
FLUIDS. :)
holiday to northern Australia

Don't go to school, don't go anywhere, unless your symptoms get bad enough to seek medical attention. (And then just have someone bring you to the Doc's)
I think you're looking at about a week at home.

Whether or not to see a doctor is your judgment depending on the situation. Not usually necissary if you are just having mild symptoms, (which most cases have been.) They would give you some antivirals if its the flu h1n1 or otherwise.

Good luck and feel better!

Missed one.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes you are sick and contagious but just viral. Why would you need a Dr. excuse for that?

Just saying how the system works. If you want to stay home due to illness, you need a doctor's note. That's how it works here.

When I could not go to the week in Essen, a doctor's note was expected. In my case, I had more than a viral infection, but it would have been expected anyway even if it had been viral. No doctor's note means you are okay to work.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm really starting to think that. If you stay home from work for being sick and do not provide a doctor's note, you don't get paid or you have to use vacation time. You ALWAYS have to get a doctor's note. There is no 'stay home and wait for it to get better.'

Of course it depends on your employer what you have to do exactly. Some say on the day of illness. Others after one sick day. Others three. But no note, no go.

In America you only get a limited number of sick days that you can use whenever. If you go over the sick days, even if you're dying, you're not going to get paid. If it's an extended illness, depending on the job, you can get a leave of absence -- other times you just get fired.

I think this is kind of ridiculous because sick people aren't very productive, so if you're at work you're spreading your illness and making everyone else not productive, too. I believe more paid sick days would be considered 'efficiency wages' in economics terms.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In America you only get a limited number of sick days that you can use whenever. If you go over the sick days, even if you're dying, you're not going to get paid. If it's an extended illness, depending on the job, you can get a leave of absence -- other times you just get fired.

I think this is kind of ridiculous because sick people aren't very productive, so if you're at work you're spreading your illness and making everyone else not productive, too. I believe more paid sick days would be considered 'efficiency wages' in economics terms.

It doesn't make sense because it's a fucked up mindset left over from the days of 19th century robber barron classism.

I mean, why did some Victorian-era factory owners make their employees work until they slumped over and died during a shift?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the reason why americans don't go to the doctors unless it's an emergency is because it's so expensive and the so called free clinics are not that good here. In fact my room mate was feeling dizzy and like she was having a stroke and the first doctor said it was stress and she went for a second opinion and the other doctor asked if she was on birth control. and the second doctor was like the first doctor should have asked you that.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Thank you for your response.

That seems a little ridiculous, no offense to you, but rather to the system. What is the logic behind that? :huh:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the reason why americans don't go to the doctors unless it's an emergency is because it's so expensive and the so called free clinics are not that good here. In fact my room mate was feeling dizzy and like she was having a stroke and the first doctor said it was stress and she went for a second opinion and the other doctor asked if she was on birth control. and the second doctor was like the first doctor should have asked you that.

Well think of it like this: Not every doctor gets a 4.0 on their exams and degree, right?

So how do you know if you're going to a doctor who passed with a 2.0 or a 3.9? You don't.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
its more of being too expensive for most people to go to the doctors and insurance will only cover so much.because are medicine and drugs have no cap so the drug companys can keep raising the price.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ok, so my day is almost over, and though I haven't eaten anything today, I kind of feel the same.

I would think it would have gotten worse if I had it, but who knows.

My best friend has it. He's 'quarenteened' until next Monday. He had blood tests at a doctor that confirmed it.

But whatever, I'm not going to the doctors, and I am still going to school until I can no longer function. Or they tell me to stay home.

Where I live, people are already getting it, and less than 5% of the people up here have gotten the vaccine. It's too late, the pot's a'brewin!

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Was just wondering... do you think there is a correlation between ENFPs and hypochondria... :D I don't mean that as a jibe at all... just something I read in the thread made me ask the question.. as I have it real bad :(
Anyways howya doing Onewithsoul... better I hope! :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Thank you for your response.

That seems a little ridiculous, no offense to you, but rather to the system. What is the logic behind that? :huh:

The logic is that you need the company more than the company needs you. Especially with the current job market, you have 5 people applying for everyone 1 job out there. They can't just not give you any sick days, but not paying or firing you is more efficient for them than paying you for days you're not there. For a week-long illness, people usually only take off only one or two days.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Holy guacamole! That would never happen here! :shock: At least not if parents took care of their kids properly.

I'm really starting to think that. If you stay home from work for being sick and do not provide a doctor's note, you don't get paid or you have to use vacation time. You ALWAYS have to get a doctor's note. There is no 'stay home and wait for it to get better.'

Of course it depends on your employer what you have to do exactly. Some say on the day of illness. Others after one sick day. Others three. But no note, no go.

Yea, well.. get this.

I have "insurance" with my work and then needed to go to the docs this summer and was unable to pay the bill and lost my primary care physician. Now i've come down with this awful awful cough that has lasted over a month and is getting more extreme and don't have anyone to go to. (Unless its the emergency room, which costs about 1000 dollars just for me stepping through the door. which I won't be able to pay. but they'll HAVE to treat me.. and then the lovely citizens will get to pay for me... and, you see where this could get to be a problem..)

The other piece of it is, to stay out of work for more than three days, I need a doctor's note. Or I have potential of losing my job. And, well, I don't have a doctor anymore, since I couldn't pay my bill. So I have to go to work sick, and infect my coworkers. And..
you can see how this could be MORE of a problem.
That's our system for ya!!