User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Promoting emotional Well Being, a different type of work out....

This thread is aimed at promoting self esteem and working on the building blocks of possitive esteem.

It's a big job more time than I have to spend on it......so it will require participants to help maintain the momentum and keep it going.

What is the requirment...

First thing you need to do is set yourself a reward... something you can have at the end of the week. Nothing to flash or expensive... ideally just a treat....
    Instead of running to work with a carry out coffee, stay in the coffee shop and read a paper/do the cross word / ive yourself time to enjoy it

Or treat yourself to a manicure
    Or treat yourself to flowers
    Or treat yourself to a bubble bath with a nice magazine
    Or a beer, or a magazine you wouldn't normally buy

Or something else that makes you feel like you are valuing yourself.

Ideally post this in order to share your experiences...

Second (which you don't have to do) is to try and break down how you have been feeling in the last few weeks...
    I don't have classifications but you can invent some for yourself..
    Happy 20%
    excited 10%
    gloomy 30%
    anxious 30% etc

You can choose to post this/abstain, but it would be good for you to know...you may want to PM yourself... so at some point in the future you can see how you have progressed

Next comes your homework... your weight training for self esteem.....

MBTI
    ENTP

Ok your weekly work out...

During the week ahead you need to find things you feel you did well. Stuff you notice that other people wouldn't nessesarily comment on.

For instance, rembering to pick up your dry cleaning, or take the garbage out on collection day, or making the earlier bus, squeezing into a tight parking space, or having patience with a diffcult situation, remembering to return your library books, not runnign out of milk or loo roll, etc etc...

Ideally clock things that are not BIG achievments but small things that just happen in day to day life... The things need to be ideally recognised by yourself and not things that other people are likely to see acheivements... but for you they are.

What we are doing is identfying tiny personal acheivements AND VALUING THEM!

If by next week you can identify 3 mini wins, you must give yourself that treat... make sure you unplug and relish the treat you are giving yourself....

MBTI
    ENTP

For me:

My treat.... next weekend I'll buy myself some flowers if I clock up my wins...

This week I've been unusally anxious, unnnessesarily so because I started a new job (everyone is lovely but I'd talked myself into feeling up tight).

Happy 20%
    Anxious 50%
    Annoyed/Angry 10%
    Calm 10%
    Content 10%

This week I will look for mini wins one of which may be not bailing on catching up with someone for drinks.

MBTI
    infp

Thanks for making this thread Tinkerbell, I'm definately interested and excited to actually be trying out something that could help improve on my self esteem.

I do treat myself to the whole pampering thing sometimes, but never as a reward for actually doing something, and yet when I have managed to do something I had been putting off, I have felt better about me.

So, this week :

Happy 20%
    Anxious 30%
    Sad/unhappy 30%
    Angry 20%

And if we were rating our self esteem level for the week 1 < > 10 (low being next to no self esteem and high being a good week) I would score my week as being pure 1.

Ok, so the idea is to report back at the end of the week with hopefully 3 mini wins for a reward?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Hey Berb,

What reward are you going to give yourself?

A biggie... you are not allowed to belittle your own mini wins the whole point is that other people might see them as being trivial but they are things you apprecaite.

Good luck on hitting the 3
    as an FYI for a good few weeks we will be doing this

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Very cool idea. I'm with you in spirit, will come back when I've had a chance to get home, settle down and sort through feelings for the week. I'd like to work more on just being aware of feelings rather than self-esteem. Would that be okay and within the purview of the exercise? Thanks!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Very cool idea. I'm with you in spirit, will come back when I've had a chance to get home, settle down and sort through feelings for the week. I'd like to work more on just being aware of feelings rather than self-esteem. Would that be okay and within the purview of the exercise? Thanks!
    Yes of course... it's all about promoting wider well being as well as self esteem, begining to recognise different emotional states can be as much part of it...

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Hey Berb,

What reward are you going to give yourself?

A biggie... you are not allowed to belittle your own mini wins the whole point is that other people might see them as being trivial but they are things you apprecaite.

Good luck on hitting the 3
    as an FYI for a good few weeks we will be doing this
    I hadn't actually thought that far ahead lol but I think I like the idea of sitting in a cafe with a crossword and a hot chocolate as my reward, since I never actually sit down, but just grab and run.

There is this nice cafe that opened up not so long ago, near where I live, I keep promising myself I'm going to go in there, so as a reward it would be perfect.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I hadn't actually thought that far ahead lol but I think I like the idea of sitting in a cafe with a crossword and a hot chocolate as my reward, since I never actually sit down, but just grab and run.

There is this nice cafe that opened up not so long ago, near where I live, I keep promising myself I'm going to go in there, so as a reward it would be perfect.
    Perfect, really really perfect... you can now look forward to it

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Edited : Friday 16 October

This week:
    Stressed/Anxious: 40%
    Frustrated with myself: 20%
    Happy: 10%
    Excited: 10%
    Calm/content: 20%

Reward: buy the wallet I've wanted if I:
    1. finish revisions to paper
    2. clean part of office
    3. stick to bedtime routine

Broader goal - living more in the present.
    Last edited by ergophobe; 10-16-2009 at 12:51 AM.