• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Natural Yeast Infection Treatments

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Ladies (and fellas...jock itch!) I'd like to know if any of you have tried natural yeast infection remedies what have you done and how successful have they been. Diflucan works very quickly but I always have a really bad migraine up to week afterwards.

The Google gods are giving me some good info and ideas but I'd also like to know people's personal experiences.

And don't be shy! If people can frankly talk about oral sex techniques and their sexual practices I fully expect people can talk about the other things their vaginas and penises do.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My biology teacher has heard about application of yogurt working. I haven't tried it though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My biology teacher has heard about application of yogurt working. I haven't tried it though.

Yeah, I have a problem with putting food in my thang. I would use acidophilus powder mixed with water in a spray bottle instead. Yogurt would be okay if you washed up thoroughly 15-20 minutes later, otherwise you risk spoilage. Unless, like me, you've got an icy cold tundra in the thangal area.

However, I have heard inserting a peeled clove of garlic for an hour or two works well.

I believe jock itch is actually ringworm, like athlete's foot, isn't it?

Usehername

On a mission
If people are talking openly about it, anyone want to expand a little on what it is like to experience a yeast infection? I've never had one.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
BTW- the garlic thing, you'll want to wrap it in gauze & tie it off with some floss or string first.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
If people are talking openly about it, anyone want to expand a little on what it is like to experience a yeast infection? I've never had one.

I've only ever had one, and it was a couple years ago. I'm a little wary of this being one of my very first posts here, but what the hell. :blush: I posted in white below, so highlight to read.

It itched like crazy (woke me up in my sleep), my outer 'lady parts' became quite raw and sore, and I could feel stuff...um...trickling on the inside.

I just used a standard over-the-counter application, and it worked fine. I'd heard about the yogurt thing but was squeamish about it. If you do decide to try it you should really use the plain, non-sweetened kind since yeast thrive on sugar. Or just get the acidophilus bacteria by itself like Ivy said.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
LOL yeah, non-sweetened yogurt is the way to go! Good point.

My experience has been pretty much like what you describe, blankpages. PM, oral diflucan is still the best thing I've taken for it but I don't get any side effects from that, so I can see how you'd want to avoid it if it gave you a migraine.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It actually works if you stick a tampon in plain, unsweetened yogurt for several hours and then insert as as you normally would.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recently got over a case of jock itch... all I used was an anti fungal that is typically used for athlete's foot.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The cream that is typically sold over-the-counter for yeast infections can also be applied directly to ringworm.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Usehername - Think of the worst kind of itchiest, non-scratchable vulvar itch combined with red, raw feeling skin and unpleasant discharge. I've only ever experienced two, both in reaction to strong antibiotics (guess it upsets the balance of things).

FTR - Yoghurt (eaten, not inserted) was very non-effective, despite eating gallons of it. If you ever have to use one of the Monostat type treatments, DON'T use it any time you will be walking around (ie morning) no matter how badly you want to get on with things because it gets messy! Garlic sounds dangerous to me! It eats through foot skin for plantars warts if left on for a day. However, I've heard more than one person recommend it so...

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Imagine having an itch so bad that no matter how much scratching and rubbing you do IT WILL NEVER STOP. If you want visuals, google images should do but those are really gross. But I must say, I do find the rubbing to be quite satisfying in a non-sexual way.

To everyone who left rep comments thank you!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Garlic sounds dangerous to me! It eats through foot skin for plantars warts if left on for a day. However, I've heard more than one person recommend it so...

That would be the reason for wrapping it in gauze, I guess. I've never tried it but I've heard a bunch of people (more than one of them medical professionals) recommend it. I take garlic (orally) for everything else, though- it's pretty potent stuff, IMO. Hard to gak down a clove at a time but seems to knock almost anything out.

Usehername

On a mission
Thanks for sharing to answer my query. :)

I wonder if it's (very slightly) correlated to shaving off pubic hair. One of my friends made a very convincing argument that pubic hair aids in proper aeration, so when I was bored I performed my own experiment and am of the opinion that pubic hair does, very slighty, increase vulva contentedness by allowing for a little bit more air circulation.

(I know it's probably not related, but in what other thread would I share this information?)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks for sharing to answer my query. :)

I wonder if it's (very slightly) correlated to shaving off pubic hair. One of my friends made a very convincing argument that pubic hair aids in proper aeration, so when I was bored I performed my own experiment and am of the opinion that pubic hair does, very slighty, increase vulva contentedness by allowing for a little bit more air circulation.

(I know it's probably not related, but in what other thread would I share this information?)

Um, yeah I think that pubic hair is there to "protect" more or less, but I don't think there's a correalation to shaving or not. Usually women who douche frequently get more yeast infections. Also diabetics and pregnant women. Some people say that eating too much sugar causes yeast infections.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Marmalade has it pretty much covered. Shaving or no shaving doesn't make a difference, other than perhaps having hair creates a bit less sweatiness and provides some protection against friction. (Also shaving more regularly results in happier skin than the first time doing it). I think the cause of the yeast infection thing originates within the vagina because of the overproliferation of yeast organisms and not enough good bacteria to keep a healthy balance.

There are some that argue that overuse of antibiotics can create a long term imbalance which can result in tiredness, yeast infections, skin problems and a myriad of other unpleasant symptoms. They would say it can only be remedied by the introduction of good bacteria back into the system and no sugar for quite awhile to starve the yeast out. Most people I know only experience yeast infections very rarely and usually with some catalyst. It is possible for men to get them though and for them to be passed back and forth, although I think that is not very common. They recommend that if it is a persistant problem that the woman's sexual partner should be treated for yeast infection as well.

Last edited:

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Shaving seems more like there's parts of hairs there, and because the pubic area in general is sensitive, those tiny hairs(And stubble) are felt. This is just a guess though.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think the cause of the yeast infection thing originates within the vagina because of the overproliferation of yeast organisms and not enough good bacteria to keep a healthy balance.

Yes, that's right. I've heard arguments that pubes help protect against infection, but even if that's true it wouldn't apply to yeast. The term 'yeast infection' is really a misnomer, because the yeast were always there; they did not infect the body from the outside. As you said, symptoms happen when there is an overgrowth of them, and this can be caused by antibiotics (they kill off competing bacteria so yeast can proliferate) or other disruptions to the environment.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
The argument that pubic hair helps protect the vagina from infection has more to do with feces etc being more likely to be trapped within the hair, rather than entering the vagina directly. (This is also the reason they suggest wiping from front to back). Yeast infection, on the other hand, has to do with an imbalance between yeast and good bacteria.