First 123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The cream that is typically sold over-the-counter for yeast infections can also be applied directly to ringworm.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Usehername - Think of the worst kind of itchiest, non-scratchable vulvar itch combined with red, raw feeling skin and unpleasant discharge. I've only ever experienced two, both in reaction to strong antibiotics (guess it upsets the balance of things).

FTR - Yoghurt (eaten, not inserted) was very non-effective, despite eating gallons of it. If you ever have to use one of the Monostat type treatments, DON'T use it any time you will be walking around (ie morning) no matter how badly you want to get on with things because it gets messy! Garlic sounds dangerous to me! It eats through foot skin for plantars warts if left on for a day. However, I've heard more than one person recommend it so...

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    If people are talking openly about it, anyone want to expand a little on what it is like to experience a yeast infection? I've never had one.
    Imagine having an itch so bad that no matter how much scratching and rubbing you do IT WILL NEVER STOP. If you want visuals, google images should do but those are really gross. But I must say, I do find the rubbing to be quite satisfying in a non-sexual way.

To everyone who left rep comments thank you!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Garlic sounds dangerous to me! It eats through foot skin for plantars warts if left on for a day. However, I've heard more than one person recommend it so...
    That would be the reason for wrapping it in gauze, I guess. I've never tried it but I've heard a bunch of people (more than one of them medical professionals) recommend it. I take garlic (orally) for everything else, though- it's pretty potent stuff, IMO. Hard to gak down a clove at a time but seems to knock almost anything out.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Thanks for sharing to answer my query.

I wonder if it's (very slightly) correlated to shaving off pubic hair. One of my friends made a very convincing argument that pubic hair aids in proper aeration, so when I was bored I performed my own experiment and am of the opinion that pubic hair does, very slighty, increase vulva contentedness by allowing for a little bit more air circulation.

(I know it's probably not related, but in what other thread would I share this information?)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Thanks for sharing to answer my query.

I wonder if it's (very slightly) correlated to shaving off pubic hair. One of my friends made a very convincing argument that pubic hair aids in proper aeration, so when I was bored I performed my own experiment and am of the opinion that pubic hair does, very slighty, increase vulva contentedness by allowing for a little bit more air circulation.

(I know it's probably not related, but in what other thread would I share this information?)
    Um, yeah I think that pubic hair is there to "protect" more or less, but I don't think there's a correalation to shaving or not. Usually women who douche frequently get more yeast infections. Also diabetics and pregnant women. Some people say that eating too much sugar causes yeast infections.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Marmalade has it pretty much covered. Shaving or no shaving doesn't make a difference, other than perhaps having hair creates a bit less sweatiness and provides some protection against friction. (Also shaving more regularly results in happier skin than the first time doing it). I think the cause of the yeast infection thing originates within the vagina because of the overproliferation of yeast organisms and not enough good bacteria to keep a healthy balance.

There are some that argue that overuse of antibiotics can create a long term imbalance which can result in tiredness, yeast infections, skin problems and a myriad of other unpleasant symptoms. They would say it can only be remedied by the introduction of good bacteria back into the system and no sugar for quite awhile to starve the yeast out. Most people I know only experience yeast infections very rarely and usually with some catalyst. It is possible for men to get them though and for them to be passed back and forth, although I think that is not very common. They recommend that if it is a persistant problem that the woman's sexual partner should be treated for yeast infection as well.
    Last edited by fidelia; 10-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Shaving seems more like there's parts of hairs there, and because the pubic area in general is sensitive, those tiny hairs(And stubble) are felt. This is just a guess though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think the cause of the yeast infection thing originates within the vagina because of the overproliferation of yeast organisms and not enough good bacteria to keep a healthy balance.
    Yes, that's right. I've heard arguments that pubes help protect against infection, but even if that's true it wouldn't apply to yeast. The term 'yeast infection' is really a misnomer, because the yeast were always there; they did not infect the body from the outside. As you said, symptoms happen when there is an overgrowth of them, and this can be caused by antibiotics (they kill off competing bacteria so yeast can proliferate) or other disruptions to the environment.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

The argument that pubic hair helps protect the vagina from infection has more to do with feces etc being more likely to be trapped within the hair, rather than entering the vagina directly. (This is also the reason they suggest wiping from front to back). Yeast infection, on the other hand, has to do with an imbalance between yeast and good bacteria.