User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Default More Strength With Not-so-much muscle gain?

I've been interested in weight training for a while and am now taking it as one of my physical education classes in college. The thing is that I DO NOT want to be one of those big hulking monsters, it's just not something I like. They look clumsy and slow.

The thing is, I want to be fast and strong. I want more strength without a bunch of muscle weight getting in the way. Is there such a way to make the muscle stronger and more agile without it gaining so much mass?

It seems to me that once a person gets to a certain size of muscle that they look like they are becoming less efficient in the use of them. Sort of like there is a high muscle mass gain and maybe low strength overall? This is all just speculation on my part.

My objectives in weight training are to make my body a healthy running machine. I'm not really doing it for looks or to show off. My body should be my project, my hobby. I want my body to be efficient! Not some hulking brute. I don't need all of that extra muscle weighing me down.

Anybody have ideas how to accomplish getting these results? Keep in mind that I am new to all of this and that I don't know every single fact there is to know about training.

Looking forward to feedback!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

low reps, heavy weight, keep your diet in check and dont lift to failure.

MBTI
    INTP

You won't get professional bodybuilding huge without an incredible amount of time, dedication, genetics and probably steroids. The really strong guys who are concerned only with numbers (rather than posing or whatever) always look like bears. I think if you keep pushing your limitations with weights you will simply get bigger though. Of course it varies by person, I gain mass very easily with low rep/high weight style workouts whereas a friend of mine struggles to put on 5 pounds but can out run/jog me.

Should probably just set up a well rounded workout and go from there, some guys prefer emphasis on weight-training, others do nothing but jog.
    Likes Survive & Stay Free liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

as far as weight training, i think any strength gains will always be accompanied by more mass and bulk. it seems like if you are worried about bulking up too much, you should be doing more aerobic exercises. exercising at a slower pace for longer periods of time, instead of shorter workouts with more resistance.

i have been a swimmer for a long time, i would recommend looking into that. swimming doesn't build muscle mass as fast as weight training does. it tends to keeps you slimmer and more of a lean athletic build, rather than very bulky.
    swimming, running, or bicycling + some weight training might build strength and keep you from getting too big.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    The thing is that I DO NOT want to be one of those big hulking monsters, it's just not something I like. They look clumsy and slow.
    Heh. I have good news for you. You will not become a big hulking monster from lifting weights, even if you do so very aggressivley. It takes time...LOTS of time...many YEARS of lifting, eating, and doing all esle right to build up a massive physique. Also, there is the issue of genetics.

If you were meant to be a massive hulking monster, you would have known by now. Your frame and general musculature would be mesomorphic, and you would be a big person by default. No matter if I ever lifted weights or not, I don't think I could EVER weigh less than 200 pounds at 6'1" and 8-9% bodyfat. Since I have been lifting weights for 20 years I weigh 235 pounds, and I assure you I am not slow. I smoke people on the track all the time, sprints of course. I'm quick enough to grab what I need to. Once its in my hands I have alot of options.

Just lift seriously, eat right, and have FUN my friend! You'll get to your goal, and you won't turn into a big oaf like me, I promise.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

You're talking about endurance, or being robust. I would say - swimming, and or cycling (effectively) helps with this.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

There are two different approaches you can use to avoid "man boobs."

To increase muscle density, you want to stick with ten to twelve reps and a count of one for the push and three for the return. Using a moderate vs. heavy weight. For things such as dumbell presses a count of six on the lowering of the weight will yield impressive results with only twenty to thirty pounds per dumbell.

Or you could do something Eric turned me onto; it's called a kettlebell.

ERIC J MOSSíS BLOG

The benefits of using a kettlebell are numerous. It's functional strength, that builds muscle density vs. bulk. You get a great cardio workout. It's natural movement, no need to stretch unless you just want to.

It's short and intense in duration and easily done at home. No need for a gym membership.

The other huge plus is that the movements are very good for your shoulders and knees. Other, connective tissue...no danger of a rotar cuff injury etc.

That's what I'm doing right now along with interval running. Granted I kind of miss seeing all the hot chicks at the gym, but I don't miss having people take up space and/or socialize vs. working out.

Kettlebell also helps build explosive power in more efficiently utilizing fast twitch fiber.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If you'd rather look like:

Than:

You need to:

Cross training

Circuit training (nothing better)

Kettle bells

Fight training

Body weight exercises

MBTI
    YaYa

I said the same thing before I started lifting. People don't accidentally slip and get built like hulking monsters.

Give it a shot. Once you actually experience it, you'll see things differently.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

DiscoBiscuit on the mark!

crossfit.com post a different workout everyday...they have a large following
    among military types, etc.

I'm a fan of Turbulence Training, which is primarily bodyweight exercises and
    kettlebells. I started trying to do some of that stuff at a point where I was
    in "gym" shape.

What a joke that was...I couldn't hold a side plank for two seconds much
    less five.