• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

More Strength With Not-so-much muscle gain?

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I've been interested in weight training for a while and am now taking it as one of my physical education classes in college. The thing is that I DO NOT want to be one of those big hulking monsters, it's just not something I like. They look clumsy and slow.

The thing is, I want to be fast and strong. I want more strength without a bunch of muscle weight getting in the way. Is there such a way to make the muscle stronger and more agile without it gaining so much mass?

It seems to me that once a person gets to a certain size of muscle that they look like they are becoming less efficient in the use of them. Sort of like there is a high muscle mass gain and maybe low strength overall? This is all just speculation on my part.

My objectives in weight training are to make my body a healthy running machine. I'm not really doing it for looks or to show off. My body should be my project, my hobby. I want my body to be efficient! Not some hulking brute. I don't need all of that extra muscle weighing me down.

Anybody have ideas how to accomplish getting these results? Keep in mind that I am new to all of this and that I don't know every single fact there is to know about training.

Looking forward to feedback!:)

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
low reps, heavy weight, keep your diet in check and dont lift to failure.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
You won't get professional bodybuilding huge without an incredible amount of time, dedication, genetics and probably steroids. The really strong guys who are concerned only with numbers (rather than posing or whatever) always look like bears. I think if you keep pushing your limitations with weights you will simply get bigger though. Of course it varies by person, I gain mass very easily with low rep/high weight style workouts whereas a friend of mine struggles to put on 5 pounds but can out run/jog me.

Should probably just set up a well rounded workout and go from there, some guys prefer emphasis on weight-training, others do nothing but jog.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
as far as weight training, i think any strength gains will always be accompanied by more mass and bulk. it seems like if you are worried about bulking up too much, you should be doing more aerobic exercises. exercising at a slower pace for longer periods of time, instead of shorter workouts with more resistance.

i have been a swimmer for a long time, i would recommend looking into that. swimming doesn't build muscle mass as fast as weight training does. it tends to keeps you slimmer and more of a lean athletic build, rather than very bulky.
swimming, running, or bicycling + some weight training might build strength and keep you from getting too big.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The thing is that I DO NOT want to be one of those big hulking monsters, it's just not something I like. They look clumsy and slow.

Heh. I have good news for you. You will not become a big hulking monster from lifting weights, even if you do so very aggressivley. It takes time...LOTS of time...many YEARS of lifting, eating, and doing all esle right to build up a massive physique. Also, there is the issue of genetics.

If you were meant to be a massive hulking monster, you would have known by now. Your frame and general musculature would be mesomorphic, and you would be a big person by default. No matter if I ever lifted weights or not, I don't think I could EVER weigh less than 200 pounds at 6'1" and 8-9% bodyfat. Since I have been lifting weights for 20 years I weigh 235 pounds, and I assure you I am not slow. I smoke people on the track all the time, sprints of course. I'm quick enough to grab what I need to. Once its in my hands I have alot of options. :cheese:

Just lift seriously, eat right, and have FUN my friend! You'll get to your goal, and you won't turn into a big oaf like me, I promise. :newwink:

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're talking about endurance, or being robust. I would say - swimming, and or cycling (effectively) helps with this.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are two different approaches you can use to avoid "man boobs."

To increase muscle density, you want to stick with ten to twelve reps and a count of one for the push and three for the return. Using a moderate vs. heavy weight. For things such as dumbell presses a count of six on the lowering of the weight will yield impressive results with only twenty to thirty pounds per dumbell.

Or you could do something Eric turned me onto; it's called a kettlebell.

ERIC J MOSS’S BLOG

The benefits of using a kettlebell are numerous. It's functional strength, that builds muscle density vs. bulk. You get a great cardio workout. It's natural movement, no need to stretch unless you just want to.

It's short and intense in duration and easily done at home. No need for a gym membership.

The other huge plus is that the movements are very good for your shoulders and knees. Other, connective tissue...no danger of a rotar cuff injury etc.

That's what I'm doing right now along with interval running. Granted I kind of miss seeing all the hot chicks at the gym, but I don't miss having people take up space and/or socialize vs. working out. ;)

Kettlebell also helps build explosive power in more efficiently utilizing fast twitch fiber.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
If you'd rather look like:
thiago-alves-defeates-matt-hughes.jpg

Than:
9192-Stan_mcquay_bodybuilder_c_ezr.jpg

You need to:

Cross training

Circuit training (nothing better)

Kettle bells

Fight training

Body weight exercises

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I said the same thing before I started lifting. People don't accidentally slip and get built like hulking monsters.

Give it a shot. Once you actually experience it, you'll see things differently.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
DiscoBiscuit on the mark! :yes:

crossfit.com post a different workout everyday...they have a large following
among military types, etc.

I'm a fan of Turbulence Training, which is primarily bodyweight exercises and
kettlebells. I started trying to do some of that stuff at a point where I was
in "gym" shape.

:doh:

What a joke that was...I couldn't hold a side plank for two seconds much
less five.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I said the same thing before I started lifting. People don't accidentally slip and get built like hulking monsters.

Give it a shot. Once you actually experience it, you'll see things differently.

yeh, even ahnold had to use steroids.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Just start, you won't get big overnight. In any case, people like gymnasts are among the most flexible and agile in the world, yet they're also usually quite built.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
If you want fast, dynamic strength try using exercises that demand fast, dynamic movements. The power clean jerk is a good place to start. Thats similar to the clean and jerk you see at the olympic, but without bothering to try and duck under the bar. It doesn't look as flashy, but its a lot easier on your knees.

V sit ups are good as well. Just concentrate on making the snap up as sharp as possible. Pull ups can also be used to good effect. Once again concentrate on the speed at which you make the pull, rather than just the number of reps.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The way you workout isn't really the deciding factor as to whether you gain mass or not, imo. It's what you eat. Plus, you won't grow out of control just because you lift weights. I wish!

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
If there was a local Muay Thai gym I would've already signed up! :D

I live in Iowa. And I'm an hour away from Des Moines where there might possibly be one. But looking into martial arts, I've always been interested.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
If there was a local Muay Thai gym I would've already signed up! :D

I live in Iowa. And I'm an hour away from Des Moines where there might possibly be one. But looking into martial arts, I've always been interested.

MFS is in bettondorf. They'll have all the MT you could want among other things.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Heh. I have good news for you. You will not become a big hulking monster from lifting weights, even if you do so very aggressivley. It takes time...LOTS of time...many YEARS of lifting, eating, and doing all esle right to build up a massive physique. Also, there is the issue of genetics.

If you were meant to be a massive hulking monster, you would have known by now. Your frame and general musculature would be mesomorphic, and you would be a big person by default. No matter if I ever lifted weights or not, I don't think I could EVER weigh less than 200 pounds at 6'1" and 8-9% bodyfat. Since I have been lifting weights for 20 years I weigh 235 pounds, and I assure you I am not slow. I smoke people on the track all the time, sprints of course. I'm quick enough to grab what I need to. Once its in my hands I have alot of options. :cheese:

Just lift seriously, eat right, and have FUN my friend! You'll get to your goal, and you won't turn into a big oaf like me, I promise. :newwink:
Very well worded.

So OP: you won't turn into a hulking monster overnight, even if you train every day for a year. If you want your body to look better instead of just bigger, it's all about what you eat.