• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Underweight?

G

Glycerine

So I went to the doctor's yesterday and she told me I was like 10-15 underweight at 83.5 pounds (82 pounds at the lowest point of the day) for 4' 10-5'. and needed to gain weight. Should I really try to gain weight if none of my bones are even close to sticking out or showing? Would it truly be beneficial?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes, because being underweight is just as bad as being overweight health wise.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If you go by optimal BMI, you would want to hit about 100 pounds to be normal weight, at least from what I've read.

(my GF is just an inch taller than you and is around 102, don't tell her I told you though)

G

Glycerine

i am not sure... I have enough fat to have regular periods and I look bigger than I weigh (somewhat muscular).

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
83 sounds low, but then you are really short. I'm not sure what to say. I'm 5'8-3/4 and float around 115 tom 120 pounds. I've had a doctor tell me that I was not gaining weight fast enough, but then I've been like this for years and I haven't noticed anything bad happening. How long have you had this weight to height ratio? Have you experienced any of the symptoms of emaciation?

On one hand, it's better safe than sorry, so I woud encourage you to continue seriously looking into this. On the other hand, I see a lot of fat people, and my doctor was fat. I feel fine and have always been this way, but I am so abnormal in this society that I think it is essentially assumed that I'm unhealthy. It might be the same way with you.

G

Glycerine

I was around 94 lbs when i was 14, gained 8 lbs when I was 15 and dropped back down to 92 lbs for a couple years. Then within 3 years, I lost 6-7 lbs and within the last 3 months I lost 3 more lbs. I dropped to a size 00 recently. In a sense, I hadn't been this weight since I was 12 or 13 but I actually feel more energized at this weight (20 now). Who knows?

Symptoms of emaciation? I don't think so?
- good heart function
- healthy blood pressure
- regular periods
- no weird hair loss or anything
- no bones sticking out/ showing
- good stamina
- not sickly/pale

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Main concern for low weight might be anemia... If your doctor recommend you doing a blood test, do so. Second way of looking at things is body fat/muscle percentage. BMI doesn't mean much if you're fine-boned. Of course if you're feel fine at your weight with a decent diet and proper exercise then it's fine.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Why do you think you've dropped weight though?

My aunt is about 4'11 and she looked & felt best at about 90 lbs. When you're that short, you can't carry that much weight anyway. BMI is mostly BS.

G

Glycerine

If you're healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Why do you think you've dropped weight though?

My aunt is about 4'11 and she looked & felt best at about 90 lbs. When you're that short, you can't carry that much weight anyway. BMI is mostly BS.

I think my body shape is still changing/maturing (lost some baby fat) and increased activity.

Yeah, BMI is not always very accurate. It was really funny, I had told a personal trainer my weight/height and she flat out told me that she didn't believe me... because I didn't look bony.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you go by optimal BMI, you would want to hit about 100 pounds to be normal weight, at least from what I've read.

I hate to do this because I'll come off as arrogant, but the BMI isn't a very accurate depiction of body mass. At least not accordingly to heritage. People of African ancestry, along with Pacific Islanders and Native American to a lesser degree, had heavier bone density, which the BMI doesn't take into account. The BMI is truly a Causasian index and doesn't pertain to other races. However, I'm going to use my intuition here and assume Pitseleh is white, so ...this was pointless. Informative maybe but unnecessary.

So I went to the doctor's yesterday and she told me I was like 10-15 underweight at 83.5 pounds (82 pounds at the lowest point of the day) for 4' 10-5'. and needed to gain weight. Should I really try to gain weight if none of my bones are even close to sticking out or showing? Would it truly be beneficial?

If your doctor tells you to gain weight, then gain the weight. I'd imagine she'd/he'd know what she/he was talking about. Even for 4'10", eighty-three pounds is very underweight. Your bones don't have to stick out for you to be at an unhealthy weight.

Random Question @Pitseleh: Isn't that an Elliot Smith song?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
People are all different shapes and sizes, healthy people can be "underweight."

Although that's a lot of weight to drop %-wise at your weight. If I were your Dr. I would be concerned about eating issues. Especially losing weight at your age.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
You should have asked your doctor why he thought you should gain weight when you were at your appointment. Maybe you should set up another appointment to ask him some questions.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think at 4'10 you need to be at at least 90 lbs. (Although I've always thought ideal weight was a crock of bs, since when you're at ideal weight you're still very thin. My ideal weight is 100 lbs, and at 120, i'm still pretty thin.) BMI seems to be a better indicator.

Its not really about how you look, whether your bones are sticking out or you are amennorheic. And I'd think if you're at a weight where you're saying "well at least I still have my period, at least I don't have excess hair" etc, then you're probably walking a pretty thin line.

You're bones aren't brittle now, because you're 20. And they are at the strongest they ever will be. The concern for people who are malnourished in their 20's, (when their bones are at their "strongest" which still may be weak for someone who is 20) that you are likely to have bone problems earlier than normal, say in your 50's or around menopause.

My guess is that at 82 lbs, you are missing some essential nutrients that you need to keep your young body going and keep it preserved nicely for later!
Don't base your healthy weight on lack of physical symptoms that you would have if you were anorexic or bulemic. Base it on your health.